Hunger

Kate Petrovic

Hello. We just started the Whole 30 yesterday. We normally eat this way, but started getting sugar in our diets with the holidays. We're wondering why we feel hungry so quickly? We're building our meals the way that its suggested on the meal planning template. We're not eating much fruit, which my hubby is really feeling. He has a super fast metabolism and usually has 4-5 servings a day, along with eating probably 5-6 times a day. He's considered under weight for his height and we are Crossfitters too. He's trying not to eat much fruit for this Whole 30, except if I make green smoothies or berries in something.

The smoothie I made to go along with dinner was about 4 cups of greens (sometimes more), 1 banana, 1 apple, 1/2 c blueberries, cinnamon, 1/2 an avocado. It made about 5-6 cups of smoothie, which we split between the 4 of us.

I'm also wondering about fat intake. I don't have my gallbladder and the amount we're suppose to eat with each meal is making me feel like I have a brick in my stomach. Granted, I may get a little more at some times than others, but honestly, if I eat a green smoothie (bigger portion with egg or hemp seed for protein), that holds me as long or longer than eggs & veggie for breakfast. Any thoughts?

Can you give us an idea of what you ate at each meal? That might help determine why you would be hungry. And if its the first day, you just need to give yourself enough fuel for your body and stay on plan and most likely in a couple of days you will regulate a bit.

And when you say you usually "eat like this" do you mean mostly paleo?

• Moderators

If you are following the meal template and have bumped protein up to 2 palm-size portions per meal, the remaining thing to assuage hunger is to increase fat intake. You can add olives, avocado, coconut flakes, coconut milk, coconut butter, coconut oil, ghee, etc. to end hunger.

I do not know if adding a digestive enzyme helps a person without a gall bladder digest fat, but it often helps people with a gall bladder deal with an increase of protein and fat in their diet. A popular choice is Now Foods Super Enzymes.

We frown on smoothies because liquid food digests faster than whole foods, throwing off the body's natural rhythm. Smoothies are not banned, just discouraged. However, no protein powder is okay during a Whole30, including hemp seed.

For the smoothies, I'm not using a protein powder. We don't use any of those, it's real hemp seed. I'm eating 1-2 palm size proteins per meal and I have added the fat they recommend. That's where the issue with fat digestion comes in. Adding a bile salt would help I know, but I don't have one at the time.

I guess one of my concerns is the cost of doing this b/c we have 4 large eaters in our house:)

For my meals day 1,

Break: 3 eggs, small portion mashed squash, sugar snap peas (in pods), about 7-8 roasted almonds.

Lunch: palm sized chicken breast, paleo homemade mayo, salad with olive oil/vinegar dressing, with 3 olives, broccoli with coconut oil

Dinner: Made Puerto Rican beef from Everyday Paleo and a glass of green smoothie (smoothie is to incorporate more raw food in our diet. A good way to get more greens), made same as before.

Was hungry 1 hour after lunch, and VERY hungry before bed... BUT bedtime was over 4 hours after eating dinner.

Thanks for the input.

Kate

Oh! Sorry. Yes, we normally eat Paleo. We just let the sugar creep in over the Holidays. Plus, I want to break my habit of snacking in the evening when I'm not hungry:)

There are quite a few people from our box (Crossfit) doing this also for the month of January.

I need more carbs on my crossfit days. I try to do some sweet potato or beets with a protein as a post workout meal. My husband is super active with a body fat in the single digits--lots of muscle requiring lots of energy. He is 100% paleo but he is always starving and has to eat fruits and stuff like sweet potatoes to keep him going.

I hope you get to the root of your hunger..keep tweaking until you figure it out.

For the smoothies, I'm not using a protein powder. We don't use any of those, it's real hemp seed. I'm eating 1-2 palm size proteins per meal and I have added the fat they recommend. That's where the issue with fat digestion comes in. Adding a bile salt would help I know, but I don't have one at the time.

I guess one of my concerns is the cost of doing this b/c we have 4 large eaters in our house:)

For my meals day 1,

Break: 3 eggs, small portion mashed squash, sugar snap peas (in pods), about 7-8 roasted almonds.

Lunch: palm sized chicken breast, paleo homemade mayo, salad with olive oil/vinegar dressing, with 3 olives, broccoli with coconut oil

Dinner: Made Puerto Rican beef from Everyday Paleo and a glass of green smoothie (smoothie is to incorporate more raw food in our diet. A good way to get more greens), made same as before.

Was hungry 1 hour after lunch, and VERY hungry before bed... BUT bedtime was over 4 hours after eating dinner.

Thanks for the input.

Kate

I'm not an expert but I wanted to comment that I'd be hungry about two seconds after that lunch. Hehe I'd have to have more veggies (I shove 'em in in the form of wilted greens) and fat - obviously you're dealing with issues of digesting fat though so I have no idea if that helps you.

Try eating pre and post workout meals on workout days. And in your husbands case, nothing wrong with adding a forth meal until hunger levels out....

I used to eat every 2 1/2 hours like clockwork and would be watching the seconds until my next meal... Now on Whole30, my hormones adjusted I go 5-6 hours without a thought of food...

Archived