Started 7/26 and Introduction

brynnalise

I commented on a couple other posts but thought I would go ahead and do an introduction post. I realize I need some support as I don't have a lot of it right now. I am working with a health coach so I talk with her once a week and she is checking in on me - my husband and teenage boys are supportive of me doing this but still have all their junk food in the house. I created one side of the pantry with just my stuff and I don't open the other side of the pantry. I am on Day 5! I haven't felt sick at all and didn't have a hard first couple of days because I had been working toward this by getting off sugar, dairy and gluten about 2 months ago. However, I realized I was already sick of the foods that I was eating (I had also already switched salad dressings, mayo etc to Primal Kitchen) and that is proving to be hard. I am trying to cook healthy meals and eat veggies even at breakfast but it is a little harder than I thought, probably because I don't enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen cooking a lot increases my pain quite a bit. I am just trying to take it one day at time and using the journal to keep tabs on what I am eating and how I am feeling. I live with chronic pain and want to work toward figuring out what foods are inflammatory for me and causing me pain. Yesterday, I had more pain than normal and it was hard for me to walk a mile (which usually isn't hard). I know that the benefits of reducing my pain are so worth it and also finding a healthy relationship with food. I have a history of bad eating habits and have probably had many days where I pretty much lived off of carbs, sugar and diet coke. :( So far, I am actually proudest of the fact that I have stayed off Diet Coke for 4 /12 days. I kept trying to quit it but couldn't completely - it is a huge addiction for me. Looking forward to results and making this happen!

• Moderators

Hi, @brynnalise. There are tons of food options, so you don't need to be bored, but that does mean having to cook some.

Would it work better for you to spend a couple of hours in the kitchen once or twice a week prepping food, and then minimal time cooking during the week? There's a description of how that might work here:   http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/  It can also be helpful to buy vegetables that are already chopped, though that's a tradeoff since the cost a little more. Or perhaps you can get your husband and kids to help more with the meal prep, especially the more tiring parts like chopping vegetables and washing dishes. 

Sheet pan meals are really easy, customizable with any vegetables and seasonings you like, and it's easy to cook extra so you have leftovers. Crockpot meals are nice too, and if you Google whole30 freezer crockpot meals, there are instructions for putting meals together that you freeze and then just thaw and cook when you're ready to eat, so if you know you'll have someone able to help with prep one day, you can put together several meals to be made later. This article talks a little more about that:  https://mamas.whole30.com/lindsay-whole30-freezer-meals/

It's nice to buy sauces and dressings, but there are plenty of options that aren't difficult to make. Here's some varieties of pesto that would be great over meat or veggies and basically amount to "throw ingredients in a blender or food processor and press the button":   http://meljoulwan.com/2009/08/05/presto-pesto/ 

I am not much of a cook either, but I have found that on this program I am getting better at it.  I limit the number of ingredients I work with and won't make anything that requires me to stand in my kitchen for 20+ minutes and I really haven't found it that limiting. It is possible to do this without spending hours a day in the kitchen... (although I am not cooking for more than two people, and usually I am only cooking for myself, so things may be different for you with a son and husband).

My go-tos:

-Hard-boiled eggs

- Roasted veggies (usually broccoli coated in olive oil, lemon juice, and minced garlic; or diced sweet potatoes with olive oil)

- Sauteed veggies (peppers and onions)

- Brat Hans chicken sausages (not the cheapest option - $6 for a four-pack at whole foods - but many varieties of the brand are complaint and they're super easy. For lunch I poke holes in it, microwave for ~1 minute, and eat with German mustard and a side of raw veggies. For breakfast on the weekends, I'll dice one up, saute with diced peppers and/or onions, and scramble two eggs over it. For dinner I'll slice two up and saute with sliced peppers and/or onions)

- Pan-seared salmon (10-13 minutes over the flame, salt and pepper to season, lemon to taste)

I think it's easy to think you have to make crazy recipes for this to work and to remain compliant, but you don't. You just have to plan ahead and be picky with what you make and picky with what you outsource (my boyfriend has made his own mayo and other condiments; I chose to shell out the $$ for those prepared from Tessemaes and Primal Kitchen). A couple other recipes my bf and I have made that were fairly quick/easy: hot wings (baked the chicken and dumped them into the sauce. We got the sauce recipe from the book - I think it was just ghee and Franks Red Hot, but I can't remember for certain) and Shrimp Scampi Zoodles (recipe here. We bought pre-spiralized zoodles, but that was because we didn't have a spiralizer - although a mod pointed out that we could have made them using a veggie peeler). 

Great job on these 5 days and good luck going forward!

Thanks so much to both of you Emily and Shannon. I totally appreciate the help. I love the easy ideas Emily and I am more than willing to shell out the money right now to make things easier. I will buy more chopped veggies than I already have and will try those sausages too. I just need to spend some more time reading and picking some meals that will work well. Thank you both for all the links. I will check those out. I am going to start some crock pot meals. I need to go get a new crock pot today that has timers on it. My husband and boys are both great about helping with dishes so that is wonderful. It is just more the prep. My guys are all going to be gone this weekend fly-fishing and hiking in the mountains so it would be a great time to prep and get things ready for the whole next week. I will put that as a goal for myself and in the meantime find some simpler meals to make. Thanks so much for your help! I didn't start with a great attitude so I am working on changing that and finding the forum I feel like is a great step! I am already more encouraged and feeling like I can do this! Thank you!

Archived