Workout Supplements and Vitamins

Sarah_K

Hi there, I am looking to start the whole 30 soon and wanted some more info about supplements and vitamins I have been taking.

Currently I take Organic Liquid Vegan Vitamin B12, L-Arginine by Havasu, L-Carnitine, Fish Oil by Nature Made, and a probiotic by Renew Life. I also usually drink a pre-workout powder mixed with water before my workout. My workouts are then followed by a protein shake. I understand the whole30 does not approve of many supplements, powders, etc.

Which of these supplements/vitamins am I able to continue without completely effecting the diet? And does anyone have recommendations for approved protein or other workout supplements?

Thank you for your time and responses in advance!

These are the links to the supplements I listed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS461VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9D1J2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U3Y9FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CCCNISU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Moderators

It's asking quite a lot for someone to go to each link and look up the ingredients of the products you take to scour them for non compliant ingredients... perhaps instead if there are certain ingredients you're unsure of when you compare each ingredient to the rules, you can list the items you're unsure of and we can help that way.

I was just posting the links in case someone wanted to see them. I wasn't really asking them to look through each ingredient. 

My main question is just recommendations or known facts about taking workout supplements and vitamins while on the whole30 and to get more information about if the kinds of vitamins and supplements I am taking and protein powder is known to be compliant or not, etc.

• Moderators

Oh okay :)  Well, we don't recommend protein powders at all - you can read the why behind that by googling 'whole30 can I have a smoothie' and then scroll down to the smoothie section... it's pretty difficult to find a compliant protein powder to stick in your smoothie also... We've heard of an egg white protein powder which is apparently ghastly and there's a beef one too and Ican't even begin to imagine how gross that is.

For supplements, you basically just need to read the ingredients and find out if there are non compliant ingredients in them... most of them have starches and sugar capsules so they're pretty hard to find.  Because you're eating a variety of veggies, protein, fat and fruits, it's probably okay to go without the vitamins for a month if you can't find ones that work.

For pre and post workout we recommend going the old fashioned way - food :)  So for pre workout you'd want to eat fat and protein (altho depending on when your last meal was in relation to your workout, you may find you don't need a pre workout).  For post workout you'd want to eat lean protein and starchy carb, no fat.  We recommend that if you're doing a strenuous workout, you do eat the post workout and don't skip it in favor of just eating your next meal.

Ok got it!! So you recommend not taking the probiotic and fish oil as well, correct?

I will try it out just the way the rules say and give it a go! I struggle with energy and motivation towards the gym occasionally so hopefully I can find some good pre-workout foods to help kick my butt in gear.

Thank you!

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Sarah_K said:

Ok got it!! So you recommend not taking the probiotic and fish oil as well, correct?

I will try it out just the way the rules say and give it a go! I struggle with energy and motivation towards the gym occasionally so hopefully I can find some good pre-workout foods to help kick my butt in gear.

Thank you!

I think it's reasonable that you could do the Whole30 without those two supplements and then go ahead and add them back after and see if they actually make you feel more alert or energized etc... you may find that eating the full spectrum of colors in your veggies and a variety of proteins and fats with a little fruit thrown in is actually sufficient for your nutritional needs and you could save yourself a LOT of money if it turned out these supplements weren't actually providing value.  Maybe they are providing value... I'd say this is as good a time as any to really question that and see where you come out at the end :) 

Archived