Have been doing this for almost 4 months, now

Ashley D

My husband and I started on April 18th, and we have been doing the whole30 pretty consistently during the past almost 4 months, except for our "wedding day" when we finally had our official wedding ceremony and such to celebrate with the family. Total, I've lost about 22 pounds, and my husband has lost somewhere around 31. We're both feeling rather amazing. We plan to pretty much keep going for an undetermined amount of time. I know you're supposed to have goals that don't include the scale, and I've achieved my first one, which was fitting into my wedding dress. In fact, I had to have it taken in, which was a great feeling. Is anyone else in this for the long haul? It'd be nice to talk to others who have done this for a while 

Hi Ashley,  I am sort of in it for the long haul.  This is my 5th whole30.  I always end up slipping back to eating things that make me feel sick.  Tired, headache, queasy, crabby.  I just put quotes up all over my house and office.  from the food freedom forever book....is it worth it?  To really make me think about whatever it is that I am putting in my mouth.   

I am on day 17 of this whole30 and already feel much better.  After about a week or two of the withdrawal headaches/fatigue (lots of naps) from vodka, sugar, and taking bites of my kids snacks (cookies, crackers..).  I have also identified whole30 approved foods that make me feel sick, almond flour, and coconut milk.  And I have found that I can't eat anything with grains in it, any gluten free bread or goodies.  

Congrats on your wedding dress!  Sounds like you had scale specific goals.  Do you have any other goals?  I personally have put the scale in my house away as my clothes really are a true measure of how I am doing.  And sometimes the scale doesn't move but your measurements do.  I am back into pre-pregnancy clothes which is huge for me.

Hi Ashley and TamMarie, I just finished a Whole60 (my first time). It was really worth it for me to go longer than 30 days. I feel like a new person. Clothes are fitting better, went down a pants size, more energy for Saturday morning exercise, and new eating habits. From start to finish, I lost 23 pounds, which is the most I've ever lost before. I'm now starting a month of reintroductions because I realize it's not possible for me to live a Whole365, but ultimately I'd like to keep eating this way as much as possible.

Any advice on how to avoid slipping into old habits?

On 8/1/2018 at 11:23 AM, magsrose said:

Any advice on how to avoid slipping into old habits?

#1 tip for me...If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.  I doesn't matter how much good fruit and veggies I have in the fridge, if there is ice cream in the house that is what I am going to go for first.

I did my first whole30 starting at the end of May and lasted 52 days and was really feeling great. I didn’t do the best job of reintroducing foods intentionally and individually, so even though I was eating pretty healthy after that, I felt like I should have done a better job of evaluating individual ingredients as I reintroduced them. I decided to just start over, so I just finished day 3 of my second round. I am planning to keep it up for as long as possible because it really made a difference in my energy levels which is amazing because I have 2 young kids and usually only get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. 

Last night was my step-fathers birthday and there was cake.  It was day 29 of my whole30.  I did not eat the cake. I wanted to.  But thought if I did it would make me feel bad. I get headaches, exhaustion when I eat some foods.  I know gluten and sugar is bad for my body.  It was hard, I cut 5 pieces of cake and scooped ice cream for each plate.  I sat at the table while everyone ate.  I feel good today, not only because I didn't eat the cake (guilt), but BECAUSE I DIDN'T eat the cake (symptoms).  I highly recommend reading Food Freedom Forever!  

Archived