Sweetener after day 60

Jim r

I am about to complete day 60 and I feel great. One of the foods I do not want to reintroduce is sugar or sugar substitutes, I do miss sweetening my coffee to help cut the tartness... I didn't use much sugar only a quarter teaspoon, but I'm looking for a  different choice such as pure honey or pure maple syrup. Any suggestions.

• Moderators

There's not enough nutritional difference between them to make one objectively better than the other. Go with the one you like the taste of, but pay attention to whether you find yourself craving more sweets or if the amount of coffee you're drinking (and therefore how much sugar you're consuming) increases because now it tastes better. If you notice either of those, you'd want to rethink what you're using or if you really need to sweeten your coffee.

• Moderators

I personally don't like honey in my coffee, but have had maple syrup in it and that was okay. If you like regular sugar and you're not using tons of it, that would be okay. There are paleo creamer recipes that use dates or date paste. Some people like stevia but to me it has a weird aftertaste. 

I've personally found that while I still sometimes enjoy sweetened coffee or Starbucks type coffee drinks, for everyday coffee I'm good with coconut or almond milk and no sweetener. Cold brewed coffee can be a little less bitter, small amounts of salt in the coffee can help cut bitterness, some types of coffee are less bitter than others (try higher quality coffee, or a blond roast vs dark roast), or you might even try watering down your coffee just a bit. At this point, you're done with your whole30, and now is when you figure out what works for you, based on what tastes good and how different options make you feel when you have them.

Archived