Melbourne Australia - Food Freedom 2018

Slowly have had bad habits creeping into my Food Freedom, starting up logging again to help right the ship.

Challenges to keep an eye on:

• Gluten - never, need to be vigilant about cross contamination & reading labels every time.
  • Cheese - don't do it, perfectly fine without it (not missing it), one serve and then cheese becomes a craving.
  • Don't buy crappy products because they're GF and easily available: canola, corn, sugar etc. 
  • Too many off-template meals: GF noodles/pasta, GF dumplings, not enough veggies.
  • More variety across veggies/fruit.
  • Expand places to shop - some old ones have closed/changed stock, need to add new ones.

I've been recovering from a stomach bug, so food is a bit stranger than usual currently. It's Winter down under, so lots of tea :)

1st August - Wednesday (I like to start new habits on the 1st of the month)

B: Four organic eggs (scrambled), bunch of asparagus

L: Left the protein & veg part of lunch at home, so ended up being fruit salad. Rockmelon, pineapple, strawberries, grapes, a few blueberries.

D: Two beef burger patties (Mel Joulwan master recipe), purple onion, last GF burger bun. Leftover panfried white potato.

Tea: Cleanse by Pukka (really love this one, despite the weird sounding ingredients & name), Blood Orange by Red Seal (has Stevia).

2nd of August - Thursday

D: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast carrot, pan gravy.

3rd of August - Friday

B: bit lighter as not very hungry, blueberry CoYo coconut yoghurt, Paleo Forage "muesli", coffee with boxed activated almond milk

L: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast carrot, pan gravy.

D: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast carrot, pan gravy

Tea: Cleanse by Pukka, Chocolate Berry Burst by English Tea Shop, Pomegranate Blackcurrant Medley by English Tea Shop

4th of August - Saturday

B: bit lighter as not very hungry, blueberry CoYo coconut yoghurt, Paleo Forage "muesli", coffee with boxed activated almond milk

L: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast carrot, pan gravy.

D: 8D Gluten Free Pork Dumplings & chilli sauce

Tea: Cleanse by Pukka, Ginger & Lemon by Twinings

Hi - I saw your post an was glad to see someone else from Melbourne!  Also interested in the fact you have listed 'MTHFR -gene' as I'm doing Whole30 as part of the treatments my Integrative Medicine GP has recommended to help treat my menthylation and other issues. Curious to know if you have found many Whole30 compliant foods you can purchase as so far Ive basically had to make most things from scratch - cant find any compliant bacon or ham either. Have found Whole30 fantastic but very time consuming in the food prep area. 

59 minutes ago, TracyOKeeffe said:

Hi - I saw your post an was glad to see someone else from Melbourne!  Also interested in the fact you have listed 'MTHFR -gene' as I'm doing Whole30 as part of the treatments my Integrative Medicine GP has recommended to help treat my menthylation and other issues. Curious to know if you have found many Whole30 compliant foods you can purchase as so far Ive basically had to make most things from scratch - cant find any compliant bacon or ham either. Have found Whole30 fantastic but very time consuming in the food prep area. 

@TracyOKeeffe

Hi Tracy :)

I've had great success with my MTHFR treatment and Whole30 has helped with the food side of things.

There's quite a lot of stuff but it's a real PIA finding it all, especially since supply chains and ingredients can change. I'm Post-W30 now so it's a little bit easier, but a lot of the best stuff is outside the supermarket, which isn't always convenient.

I never found a 100% compliant bacon outside of the Paleo Cafe which has unfortunately closed nationwide, most contain sugar (even if only a tiny amount) - this however is okay for Post-W30 so it's not a bacon-free life forever. Prosciutto in some supermarkets, plain Pork Belly (just bake & slice like bacon) and if you can find it, Bertocchi Porchetta come in compliant versions (I had to order my Porchetta after I found one at Xmas). I am looking into how to get my hands on Bundarra Berkshires bacon as it may be compliant (need to do some more checks), it's made in NSW.

What kind of foods are you looking for? I've got lots of bulk cooking tips now! I've joined this W30 group thread if you want to as well: 

Thank you - I just replied to your comments on another thread as Im with the group you have suggested above - but I figured this was the case in regards to bacon - let me know if you find any - we have a farmers market this weekend and there is an organic pork supplier who sells his own products - hes small scale and may be sugar free so Ill go and check this weekend - thanks for your suggestions - we are about half way through - we were up to day 11 but we had been eating organic peas in salads and I didnt realise - so we started again - its our first time - for me its been like a light switch has gone on and I have felt fantastic literally from day 1 - clearly I have foods messing me up - will probably have to stay pretty close to this diet if I want to feel 'normal' ;)

The Bundarra Berkshires bacon is only: pork, salt, pepper, bay leaves and juniper berries! :D 

Looks like quite a lot of their products may be compliant, will have to do a big order I think!

Peas and peanuts often trip people up, as they don't seem like legumes. I've found they give me a stuffy nose.

Sleep & Vitamins.

Skipped my vitamins Wednesday by mistake, took them out of the container but didn't take them :unsure: otherwise I've been spot on.

Had a big sleep in on Sunday (10 9), but sleep hasn't been as good as I thought since then (days are as my Fitbit Charge HR counts them, really the night before the day).

Monday was terrible, too late to bed & too early up (5 37), did not sleep well.

Tuesday was really good (7 59).

Wednesday I felt very refreshed but my deeper sleep was a bit short, in bed too late (6 42).

Today (Thursday) closer to on track but still a bit short of 8 hours (7 21).

Archived