Canned sweet potato in Canada?

• Moderators

I cook the sweet potatoes in the oven with the peel on, then peel and mash once they're done. You could do them in the microwave instead if you want to. They're much easier to peel once cooked. Even here in the US, finding canned sweet potatoes with no added sugar is very difficult. 

Thank you so much to both of you for two different helpful suggestions!   I made them tonight.

And I used coconut flour instead of almond flour and it didn't really work - they were really dry.  I'll use almond flour next time!   I didn't buy any because it was $17 and I wasn't sure what else I'd use it for.  

• Moderators

Coconut flour is defatted and thus EXTREMELY dry... as you now know...

You could 'bread' chicken tenders in almond flour to make chicken fingers... you could make any type of meatball or burger from www.wellfed.com.  You could use it like bread crumbs to make a crispy topping for a casserole of some sort...

If you have a Trader Joe's, get almond flour there if they have it... it's usually less than about $8/pound.

• 3 weeks later...

I found two cans in a local independent store, but it wasn't cheap!  But actually I've discovered that if I bake sweet potato in the oven with the skins on, I can really easily remove the skins, and then mash it.  And closer to the fall, there will probably be canned pumpkin available, which one person said they used in the recipe.  

• 5 weeks later...

Archived