Am I eating right?

Newbie here! On day 3 and wondering if someone could take a look at what I’m eating to see if it’s okay?

The last 3 days I have had a sweet potato and 2 eggs topped with guacamole for breakfast.

Lunch the last 2 days was a chicken cabbage stir fry- veggies in the stir fry was carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, water chestnuts and cabbage. With a serving of cantaloupe. 

Supper last night was a eggplant stuffed with a burger/onion/ spaghetti sauce mix and a serving of red and purple potatoes. 

Supper tonight will be chicken fajitas on top of bed of spinach- topped with salsa and guacamole. 

Last 2 days I’ve had a snack of an apple and almond butter (I understand snacks are discouraged but I know I need this late afternoon or I might binge when o get home)

Am I eating too much? 

Also, I came to whole30 eating fairly healthy- avoiding any added sugars etc, besides the first day and wanted something sweet and being kinda drowsy the last 2 days I feel absolutely fine. Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks for any and all feedback! 

• Moderators

Not everyone experiences the negative stuff in the beginning, especially if they were eating pretty clean before, so don't worry about that.

I don't think you're eating too much but I do think there are some things you can change to get better results.

First, when eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4. If you don't want that many eggs, you can add a different protein to make the difference -- maybe sausage if you want something breakfasty, or leftovers. Whatever sounds good.

Be sure you add fat at each meal. Whatever oil you cook in doesn't really count, so for your stir fry, you could sometimes add some almonds or cashews, or you could make Sunshine Sauce (http://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/) or some kind of stir fry sauce. For your eggplant supper, you could add olives or avocado. Just pick a serving or two of fat from what's listed on the template, in addition to what you cook in.

Your meals should keep you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time, but if you need to eat between meals, try to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Fruit should really only be eaten with full meals to help avoid spikes in blood sugar.

• Moderators

Yes, the coconut cream is a fat.

For starchy vegetables like sweet potato, most people do well with a fist-sized serving each day, but people who are very active, are prone to depression or anxiety, or are pregnant, nursing, or in the week or so leading up to their period may need more, and some people are fine with less, so it's something you can experiment with to find what works best for you. Just try to eat a variety of different vegetables. As far as serving sizes for vegetables,  the meal template says to plate up your protein and fat, and then fill the plate with vegetables. Bare minimum at each meal would be a cup, but probably more like 2-3 cups at each meal. That measure would include starchy vegetables too, you don't need three cups plus sweet potato, unless you want that much. We'll probably never tell you you're eating too many vegetables.

You can download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Archived