I am day 7 on my very first whole 30 and I am wondering if I am eating way too much fat, starch and if my portion sizes are way too big. I just need some help because I really want to succeed. I went into this thinking I hated most veggies but I have realized I actually love them and this has been life changing so far.

My eating in a day:

Black coffee, 2 eggs fried in olive or coconut oil(I cover the bottom of the pan) sometimes I add spinach to eggs, a potato hash(butternut squash, sweet potato, white potato) previously roasted and warmed up in same pan as eggs. These are always a very generous portion of the hash. Like very.

Lunch: some kind of roasted veggies warmed in a pan with oil, roasted chicken with guac or dip 

Supper: a lot like lunch but maybe with some potato hash.

I hardly ever snack maybe a banana at night. And I drink the water I need to. My servings of veggies are always well over half my plate but not sure if I'm eating too much starch (low carb diet recovery)

Help!!!

Doesn't look like you're eating too much fat, but for breakfast, if eggs are your only protein you should be having as many as you can comfortably hold in your palm. For most women that's 3-4. I don't like eggs enough to eat 3 or 4 of them, so I usually do 2 eggs and some additional protein like a homemade sausage patty. 

Personally, I'd cut the potatoes at breakfast and have a different vegetable. Maybe make a hash out of zucchini or yellow squash. 

You don't give any ideas of your portion sizes except the eggs, but I think that maybe once you get your ratios a little closer to the template (especially upping the breakfast protein, it won't feel like your portions are too big. If it does still feel like you're eating too much, check yourself against the standard recommendation: are your meals keeping you full (but not uncomfortably so) for 4-5 hours. If 6 or 7 hours has passed and you're still not hungry for your next meal, the portions might be a little too big. 

7 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

Doesn't look like you're eating too much fat, but for breakfast, if eggs are your only protein you should be having as many as you can comfortably hold in your palm. For most women that's 3-4. I don't like eggs enough to eat 3 or 4 of them, so I usually do 2 eggs and some additional protein like a homemade sausage patty. 

Personally, I'd cut the potatoes at breakfast and have a different vegetable. Maybe make a hash out of zucchini or yellow squash. 

You don't give any ideas of your portion sizes except the eggs, but I think that maybe once you get your ratios a little closer to the template (especially upping the breakfast protein, it won't feel like your portions are too big. If it does still feel like you're eating too much, check yourself against the standard recommendation: are your meals keeping you full (but not uncomfortably so) for 4-5 hours. If 6 or 7 hours has passed and you're still not hungry for your next meal, the portions might be a little too big. 

I usually have about 2 eggs at breakfast,  I'm not a big egg fan so that's a lot to me. I guess I'm probably not eating as much protein as I should be at breakfast. Thank you for your reply!! I usually ear breakfast at 7, then I'm hungry again by 11-12 and then again at about 5 so I'm guessing my portions are pretty on target because I never really snack during the day. I guess I'm just in disbelief that I'm satisfied and the food is delicious and I can actually eat this much compared to low carb and counting calories lol

I'm on day 11 and had the same worry for a bit!  I plan my meals out on paper and noticed I had potatoes in every meal.  Personally, I didn't want to replace the bread in my meals with something else that I could be dependent on.  I made sure to only allow sweet potatoes for one meal per day at most which helped me look at other recipes/sides for my meals.  For example, I was going to do roasted potato wedges with my lunch, but I replaced it with mashed cauliflower seasoned up really well with mushrooms and spinach.  It was really good and filling with my protein.  I also worried I was eating too much, but I decided to focus on feeling full at my meals instead of did I eat too much or too little (which has been a whole other journey).  The whole30 doesn't seem to be about limiting yourself like other plans but more about exploring a different way of nutrition and habits.

Archived