Ok, I'm embarrassed I missed maltodextran in my digestive supplement

Guest Andria

Guest Andria

Ok I am only two days into my Whole30 and realized, despite thinking I thoroughly checked my labels, that my digestive enzymes have maltodextran as the last ingredient! Whuh?!

And... The balsalmic vinegar I love and have used both days on salad has caramel color = /

It also says "contains sulfites" which doesn't differentiate between natural or added. I had read somewhere else on this forum that naturally occurring sulfites are ok.

Do I need to start over? I know I am only two days in, but I feel so strong (going back to work being confronted w/ mounds of sweets and having no interest is huge for me) that starting over might be a blow to self-esteem.

Oh boo. I am not feeling very smart right about now. Genius here decides to check her curcumin and ubiquinol supplements and the curcumin has rice flour and ubiquinol has phosphatidylcholine which is from soy (the bottle does say contains soy; all I apparently saw was no gluten/dairy/sugar). Clearly, I did a lousy job at screening these ingredients. To my credit, I bought these before committing to the Whole30, but was still trying to avoid nasties.

Sorry so long! Thanks for any input/opinions

• Moderators

The balsamic vinegar is probably okay. The other supplements/enzymes should be set aside until you are through with your Whole30. Consider finding them now a lesson learned. I don't think you need to start again. If you don't feel fabulous by Day 30, add a few more days to the end, but I don't think you will need it.

1) take a DEEP BREATH! You're doing fine

2) I would just tack on 2 days and do a Whole32. It's technically starting over, but it's much nicer to wake up to Day 3 than Day 0. Maltodextrin can be derived from a couple of different things: potato, corn and wheat. The 66% risk that you've got grain-derived maltodextrin in your supplement is a concern. It's REALLY important to be squeaky clean where gluten is concerned during your W30.

3) Are your other supplements prescribed, or are those optional? In general, they're almost certainly not going to cause you problems (I think the "contains soy" on the phosphatidylcholine is one of those legal requirements, but it's highly unlikely to cause a problem), but you should still leave them out for your 30 (32?) days. If you can, I'd try to find clean sources of the supps, finish out your W30 without them (or with the clean versions) and then finish up the bottles when you're done.

Guest Andria

Thanks so much, guys, for the quick and thorough responses! Yes, I do need to breathe!

Yes, definitely will set the supplements aside, they are not prescribed. I will buy the NOW brand digestive supplement if I can find, as I have seen that recommended in ISWF.

I agree, Renee, I did think about adding 2 days to the end of my Whole30 to avoid the physiological blow of starting over! Ha ha, that was a bit extreme, it's not like I am 20 days in.

Archived