Rey's Whole 30 Log

ref_whole30

Day 1: August 5, 2018

Meal 1: two fried eggs with truffle salt, one orange

Meal 2: one banana with almond butter (sort of forgot to eat the rest of a meal here...)

Exercise: 35 minutes on the elliptical

Meal 3: Spaghetti squash with chicken meatballs (photo)

Snacks: chamomile tea with coconut milk; fresh strawberries

I'm so happy to finally be starting Whole30. I have an inflammatory autoimmune condition that my docs have been unable to diagnose, so I'm trying Whole30 to see if eliminating certain foods makes a difference (which means I'm going to have to be super careful about the reintroduction period). I also wouldn't mind losing a few pounds...

I was originally planning on starting tomorrow, but I wanted to have leftovers to eat for lunch at work, so I figured I might as well start now. No time like the present, I guess? I'm feeling great so far, and I'm working to set up accountability measures, including a bullet journal tracker (photo) and an instagram account (ref_whole30). Looking forward to getting underway and seeing if this makes a difference for me!

IMG_1582-1.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

Day 2: August 6, 2018

Meal 1: coffee, two fried eggs, sweet potato and bell pepper home fries, and homemade chicken sausage (photo)

Meal 2: leftover spaghetti squash and chicken meatballs; orange; tea

Meal 3: steak with roasted brussels sprouts and baked sweet potato "chips" (photo)

Exercise: 45 minutes on the elliptical

Snacks: chamomile tea with coconut milk; fresh strawberries; almond butter

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

Day 3: August 7, 2018

Meal 1: leftover home fries, one egg, and "bulletproof" coffee made with ghee and coconut oil (photo)

Meal 2: leftover steak and brussels sprouts; banana; tea

Meal 3: kale bowl with chicken "carnitas," tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, and cucumber (photo)

Snacks: handful of almonds; chamomile tea with coconut milk; fresh strawberries; almond butter

I felt pretty good all day, although now at the end of the day I am WIPED. Not sure that I can attribute that to the food though. I didn't feel hungry at all, which is fantastic. Interested to see if I actually want to "kill all the things" tomorrow!

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

Um, did we just become best friends? 

(please tell me you know that movie reference..... if not, it's from Step Brothers and one of my fave lines!)

Whole 30, Bullet Journal, and Instagram? 

We are wholemates! OK, cheesey.... I'll stop.

I love the pictures! I think I'll add them to my log too. It's so helpful. Those carnitas look delish! They are on my menu for the weekend. 

So glad to have met you here!

9 minutes ago, ref_whole30 said:

Do you want to do karate in the garage???  So excited to have a wholemate!

The carnitas were *bomb* and super easy because I could do them in the slow-cooker (and then broiled them for a bit to make the edges crispy). Highly recommend!

YAS! PS - I'm on Instagram, too @whole30Hawaii

Day 4: August 8, 2018

Meal 1: leftover home fries and brussels sprouts, one egg, 1/2 avocado, and coffee (photo 1)

Meal 2: leftover chicken carnitas, kale, tomatoes, and avocado with a banana and tea

Meal 3: MORE leftover chicken carnitas, tomatoes, a lemony-garlicky cabbage/carrot/cashew slaw, and watermelon (photo 2)

Snacks: handful of almonds; coconut milk; fresh strawberries; almond butter

I definitely didn't want to kill any of the things today! I did have a little trouble focusing at work, though. Maybe related? I also didn't make it to the gym today--need to get better about that. 

One thing I have noticed is that whole30 makes me think A LOT more about food. What I am planning to cook, what groceries I need, when I'll be able to cook, etc. I realized after dinner that I was out of cooked protein, so if I wanted some in my lunch tomorrow I would have to make it tonight....so I just started a pot of slow-cooker chili at 10pm. Totally normal. I probably could have just hardboiled some eggs, but having hot food with every meal has been pretty key in not getting hungry on whole30 so far.

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1647.jpg

OMG your food looks so good.

I agree - I've never thought so much about food in my life! Is this too much protein? Am I eating enough fat? Where did all those veggies go?

Last night I cooked some sausages at 9:30 pm. Totally normal :D

Is that slaw recipe found from Whole 30? I've never really liked coleslaw in the past but I wonder if it's because I only had it with junk ingredients. I'm willing to try any Whole 30 recipe!

4 hours ago, Lokan_V said:

OMG your food looks so good.

I agree - I've never thought so much about food in my life! Is this too much protein? Am I eating enough fat? Where did all those veggies go?

Last night I cooked some sausages at 9:30 pm. Totally normal :D

Is that slaw recipe found from Whole 30? I've never really liked coleslaw in the past but I wonder if it's because I only had it with junk ingredients. I'm willing to try any Whole 30 recipe!

THANK YOU! What kind of sausages did you cook? I have some italian sausages in my freezer from about a month ago but I definitely don't have the packaging anymore to check if they are compliant...

The slaw recipe is sort of adapted from the one in the Whole30 book-- I can send you a pic of the page if you want! It's vinegar-based rather than mayo-based, which I've always liked better anyways :)

Day 5: August 9, 2018

Meal 1: spinach and tomato frittata and coffee (photo 1)

Meal 2: "chili" (but like, there were no beans, so is it really chili??), cabbage slaw, and tea

Meal 3: additional chili, avocado, and slaw (photo 2)

Snacks: handful of almonds, coffee

I still didn't want to kill any things, but I was veryyyy tired! Had an extra cup of coffee at work (on top of the /entire/ french press that I have every morning), and that helped a little. 

[Edit: apparently I've reached the limit of attachment space! From now on you'll have to check instagram for the pix: ref_whole30]

19 hours ago, ref_whole30 said:

THANK YOU! What kind of sausages did you cook? I have some italian sausages in my freezer from about a month ago but I definitely don't have the packaging anymore to check if they are compliant...

The slaw recipe is sort of adapted from the one in the Whole30 book-- I can send you a pic of the page if you want! It's vinegar-based rather than mayo-based, which I've always liked better anyways :)

It's the Banger Sausage recipe in the Whole 30 book. Haven't tried them yet but I liked that I could put them in the oven and do something else while they were getting done.

I'll go look for the recipe in the book and message you on IG. It's easier for me there since my computer at home is crap. Also, *cross post*, the buffalo sauce I'm going to make soon is also in that book. but I'm gonna mix it with some mayo for my chicken salad (attempt #2).

Day 6: August 10, 2018

Meal 1: spinach and tomato frittata, avocado, and coffee 

Exercise: 45 minutes on the elliptical (I watched the first half of Mamma Mia because I want to go see the new one... definitely a good choice for the gym!)

Meal 2: sauteed chicken thighs and tomatoes over kale with vinegary cucumber slices 

Meal 3: slow-cooked pork, tomatoes, and avocado over kale with lime 

Snacks: baked apple slices with cinnamon

I worked from home yesterday, so I was able to make a hot lunch. That was great. I think the "meat over kale" thing is going to get old pretty fast, so I need to figure out new (but still fairly easy) meals ASAP. I got a spiralizer to try making zoodles this week... will report back on how that goes. 

One flavor profile that I'm really craving right now is korean-- I know sesame oil should be "limited" and gochujang usually has sugar and/or soy in it. Any suggestions for how to approximate those flavors??

Day 7: August 11, 2018

Meal 1: leftover slow-cooked pork and leftover frittata

Meal 2: apple slices with almond butter

Meal 3: leftover slow-cooked pork with tomato slices, sauteed mushrooms, and watermelon

I am starting to get VERY sick of leftovers, so I may have gone a little overboard at the farmer's market, but at least I know I won't run out of interesting veggies. I got a ton of zucchini and I'm looking forward to trying out my new spiralizer to maker zoodles. I've got my regular grocery day today to get proteins etc, so I'm meal planning and thinking about the week ahead. I have a potluck picnic thing on Thursday, so I need to make sure I bring enough for a complete meal on my own. 

Day 8: August 12, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy, sautéed mushrooms, and tomato slices

Meal 2: slow-cooked pork over kale, grape tomatoes, cucumber slices

Exercise: 30 minutes on the elliptical, 2 hours at the climbing ym

Meal 3: ZOODLES!!!! with homemade pesto, shrimp, and grape tomatoes

OMG, zoodles. I was a little skeptical at first, but I decided to get a knock-off spiralizer on amazon, and these things did NOT disappoint. It really was just like eating a plate of pasta (and I'm Italian, so like, that's high praise). I topped them with the pesto recipe from the Whole30 book but substituted cashews for walnuts because, for the third week in a row, I forgot to buy walnuts at the grocery store. (I also forgot to buy coffee... this is going to haunt me until I remember to make my way to a coffee shop this week). 

I also joined a climbing gym, learned how to belay, and then gained a bunch of new blisters on my hands and fell off a bouldering wall. So I'm basically a pro. 

Overall, I'm just excited to be on my second week of Whole30, with a whole new lineup of recipes to try. I know I'll have the same issue of getting sick of leftovers that I had last week, but that's a problem for future me :rolleyes:

On 8/11/2018 at 2:51 AM, ref_whole30 said:

One flavor profile that I'm really craving right now is korean-- I know sesame oil should be "limited" and gochujang usually has sugar and/or soy in it. Any suggestions for how to approximate those flavors??

I'm not sure about a sugar substitute but I grabbed a bottle of coconut aminos at Whole Foods and it's supposed to be a pretty good soy sauce substitute. I'm not too sure but might be worth a try. 

I don't know if I ever had gochujang before... I like Korean food but mostly just meat jun, kal bi, and kim chi (cabbage, cucumbers, all of it!)

7 hours ago, ref_whole30 said:

OMG, zoodles. I was a little skeptical at first, but I decided to get a knock-off spiralizer on amazon, and these things did NOT disappoint. It really was just like eating a plate of pasta (and I'm Italian, so like, that's high praise). I topped them with the pesto recipe from the Whole30 book but substituted cashews for walnuts because, for the third week in a row, I forgot to buy walnuts at the grocery store. (I also forgot to buy coffee... this is going to haunt me until I remember to make my way to a coffee shop this week). 

I also joined a climbing gym, learned how to belay, and then gained a bunch of new blisters on my hands and fell off a bouldering wall. So I'm basically a pro. 

Overall, I'm just excited to be on my second week of Whole30, with a whole new lineup of recipes to try. I know I'll have the same issue of getting sick of leftovers that I had last week, but that's a problem for future me :rolleyes:

I have yet to try zoodles. I tried spaghetti squash once and it was horrible (I didn't make it, it was at Ruby Tuesdays). But might be interested in some zoodles! I love zucchini :D!

Cheers to a second week! 

Day 9: August 13, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy, chorizo, avocado, and grape tomatoes

Meal 2: LEFTOVER ZOODLESSSS with shrimp, pesto, and tomatoes

Exercise: 30 minutes on the elliptical, 1 hour at the climbing gym

Meal 3: burger on a portobello "bun" with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and homemade mayo; watermelon

Snacks: chamomile tea

Zoodles were just as good as leftovers! Reheated in a microwave like a dream. Way to go, zoodles. The portobello bun situation was kind of a bust (there was just no way I was going to be able to hold it and eat the burger with my hands), but it tasted great. 

I am 100% intimidated by all the young skinny people at the climbing gym, but I'm gonna get stronger and figure out how to boulder without feeling ridiculous every time I fall. Plus, they have yoga classes and cardio equipment. 

15 hours ago, Lokan_V said:

I have yet to try zoodles. I tried spaghetti squash once and it was horrible (I didn't make it, it was at Ruby Tuesdays). But might be interested in some zoodles! I love zucchini :D!

Cheers to a second week! 

I also love spaghetti squash (I bet it's way better homemade than at Ruby Tuesdays). I actually made the spaghetti squash recipe in the Whole30 book on my first day and it was delicious-- highly recommend.

Happy week 2 to you as well!!!

15 hours ago, Lokan_V said:

I'm not sure about a sugar substitute but I grabbed a bottle of coconut aminos at Whole Foods and it's supposed to be a pretty good soy sauce substitute. I'm not too sure but might be worth a try. 

I don't know if I ever had gochujang before... I like Korean food but mostly just meat jun, kal bi, and kim chi (cabbage, cucumbers, all of it!)

Ohh I have seen coconut aminos at the grocery store and had no idea what they were for. Good to know! Loooove kim chi (the food and also the drag queen :lol:).

Day 10: August 14, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy, chorizo, 1/2 avocado, and strawberries

Meal 2: burger patty, roasted portobello mushroom, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato

Exercise: 1h15 minute yoga class (included with climbing gym membership!)

Meal 3: house salad with a grilled chicken breast (first restaurant meal of Whole30!)

Snacks: Rx bar between yoga and dinner

I ate out for the first time, and it was a CHALLENGE to find something on the menu that I could eat. Part of the issue is that I was at an Irish pub that doesn't exactly cater to the food-conscious types, but I also had to nag in order to get a straight answer on whether or not they put butter (or anything else) on their grilled chicken. That was a pretty stressful experience, so I think I will probably avoid eating out except at very specific vegan or otherwise health-conscious restaurants from now on. 

Day 11: August 15, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy, chorizo, 1/2 avocado, and strawberries

Meal 2: burger patty, 1/2 avocado, grape tomatoes

Meal 3: roasted pork with butternut squash, kale, and tomatoes

Snacks: handful of almonds; strawberries

I got home from work and COOKED UP A STORM. I made the roasted pork (see: dinner), but also roasted a whole chicken and made more zoodles and pesto for a potluck I'm going to today (8/16). I don't expect to be able to eat anything that the other potluck guests bring, so I needed to make enough food to share and also eat myself... I may have gone overboard. Will report back!

Day 12: August 16, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy, leftover roast pork with kale, butternut squash, and tomatoes

Meal 2: leftover roast pork with kale, butternut squash, and tomatoes

Meal 3: POTLUCK! Zoodles with pesto and roasted chicken breasts; strawberries

Snacks: handful of almonds

Survived the potluck! Other than looking sadly at the wine I couldn't drink, it really wasn't that bad.  I ate the food I brought for myself, and someone else brought strawberries, so I ate those as well. Feeling good about resisting temptation!

Day 13: August 17, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy

Meal 2: leftover roast pork with kale, butternut squash, and tomatoes

Meal 3: roast chicken with sautéed kale and raw carrots

I think my hunger levels have definitely fallen off; I ate a relatively small breakfast and really didn't get hungry for the rest of the morning! I have visitors coming into town tomorrow, so I am searching for a restaurant we can go to where the menu isn't going to trip me up. I think I may have found a tapas place that will work?? 

Day 14: August 18, 2018

Meal 1: two eggs over easy, chorizo, cherries

Meal 2: leftover roast pork with kale, butternut squash, and tomatoes

Exercise: 45 minutes on the elliptical

Meal 3: roast chicken with baked sweet potato fries and a green salad topped with cucumbers, radishes, and tomatoes

Visitors ended up rescheduling for another weekend, so didn't have to confront the going-out-with-friends dilemma :)

Archived