Planning Legume Reintroduction - soy latte from Starbucks

I'm on day 29, which means I'm beginning to put some thought into how I can incorporate legumes into my diet for the legume reintroduction day.  I want to be sure to have something with legumes for every meal and I miss my Starbucks lattes, so one of the things I'm thinking about getting is a plain latte with soy milk from Starbucks in the AM with my breakfast (Ingredients: Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Whole Organic Soybeans), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Baking Soda, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12)

I know during the reintriduction period we can have added sugars (although I'll be keeping this to a minimum to avoid awakening my sugar dragon, which is why the latte will be plain and not flavored), but what about the carageenan and similar additives that we've been avoiding? Would a soy latte be an okay addition on legume day? 

Thanks in advance!

Did a little research on the forum (and online in general) to see if I could find the answer, and have only found this Q asked once before. 

From what I'm understanding: Yes, I can do it, but I should likely avoid carrageenan forever because it's terrible. (Also found a short NPR article about how the USDA recently decided not to ban carrageenan from those products hoping to attain the USDA Organic Label, despite many organic oversight bodies supporting such a ban. Hopefully this will be revisited - it would make avoiding it a little easier.)

I welcome further insight from anyone who has any (especially since guidelines definitely could have changed since 2013), but I think I'll go ahead and do the soy latte tomorrow since the small amount of carrageenan will be unlikely to severely impact my reintroduction. Going forward though, I think I will avoid carrageenan as much as possible (my hope is to be able to go back to real milk lattes on occasion after I'm done with everything)

• Administrators

Good Morning, sorry for the delayed response. I would recommend not doing soy and carrageenan at the same time. Carrageenan can be a very nasty additive with its own side effects. You won't know if it's soy or carrageenan if you have a reaction.

Archived