Starting Today, August 6 - Anyone else want to team up?

sullyrox

My 15 year old daughter and I are starting today.  This will be my 3rd round and her first.  We're excited and I spent most of yesterday food prepping while she read through the PDFs and lists, etc.

She actually approached me about doing this, so I'm along for moral support.  I had a *very* off program summer so need to get back into better habits.  We're both looking forward to it.  Let me know if you're starting today too and we can check on one another and keep honest :)

Starting today also. Had 3 eggs with sautéed spinach in coconut oil, a few almonds and some cherry tomatoes from my garden. Having a coffee blended with hemp seeds and coconut oil with a teaspoon of raw cacao, cinnamon and cardamom. So far so good. Packed a salad in a mason jar for lunch with chicken I cooked last night. Looking forward to this. I usually eat Paleo and do intermittent fasting. Mixing it up a little doing this program. 

Hi! I am starting today too! I have a partner at work doing it with my as my family, although somewhat supportive, is not going to do it with me. I live in Hawaii, so it is still morning here. I ate 2 eggs with zucchini, half and avocado and compliant sausage for breakfast. I feel full now, but I am drinking my coffee with some coconut milk added which is making me crave sugar, it seems. Or maybe it's the salt from breakfast. I am excited and a little nervous to be on this journey. I look forward to seeing the results with hopes it will help my digestive issues, skin issues and arthritis pains.  

Good luck everyone!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Joyoy said:

My sister and I are also starting today. I am not good at dieting at all... I usually give up quickly, but this time feels different! :) Good luck to you all!

The nice thing about Whole30 is it isn't really like dieting. People get very hung up on the "can't haves" but if you look at it in terms of what you can have, it's the total opposite of restrictive. You can eat big plates of food, you can have fruit, you can have bacon if you want to.  It's really not so bad to leave off the bread and cheese when you can have a burger patty topped with guacamole, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and whatever other vegetables you want, with a side of roasted sweet potato chunks and a little pineapple, or when you can make crispy chicken thighs like this: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken with a side of broccoli salad like this: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/12/13/suddenly-im-in-the-mood-for-broccoli.  

1 hour ago, Joyoy said:

I am not good at dieting at all... I usually give up quickly, but this time feels different! :)

I also usually have trouble sticking to diets, but this is more of a 30-day challenge and learning experience. The guidelines are straightforward (there is always a yes or no answer to "can I have this?" even if it is, "yes, but we don't recommend it"). I had a lot of trouble the first few days with extreme cravings, but after that it's been the easiest "diet" I've ever followed. I feel great and have discovered a bunch of new foods I love - you honestly rarely feel deprived. Even saying no to my favorite unhealthy foods - I sometimes wish I could have whatever I'm turning down, but I also can now recognize that a part of me unrelated to hunger wants to eat that food, and that I don't need it and that it has never nourished me.

Good luck to all on this thread!

Hi everyone! Also, kicked off my second whole30 today.  I did my first one at the start of summer and felt like my body needed a reset after a mini vacation in upstate New York for a wedding. Lots of delicious food and lots of drinking. :blink: My body was feeling the effects of that, especially since I have been sticking to a whole30 lifestyle most of the time after completing the first round. I’m anticipating the lack of alcohol being the hardest for me, like the first whole30. I have two little ones and am used to enjoying a craft beer with my husband on the weekend to unwind. But I also know the Fall brings holidays and birthdays for my family and this is really my last chance to commit to the program until after the new year when things slow down again. Oh, and my good friend, after seeing my success with the program has started last week and this is a great way to support her along the way! So best of luck to everyone. We can do it! :D

I started my second round today! Did my first round in May/June but kind of missed the boat as far as reintroducing things properly, so feeling like I just want to start over. LOVE the energy it gave me and I felt like I didn’t miss the things I “wasn’t allowed” to have. Here we go!!!

How is everyone doing? I know it's only day 3! I am feeling tired and hungry and I want to eat chocolate. :rolleyes: But I am not giving in. I told myself I would do this till the end. Wish my luck as I have an unexpected graduation party to attend this weekend. I know there will be lots of good food and drinks there. I guess I will have to pack my meal.. 

How's everyone holding up today?  We're on day 4 :)  So far, I don't want to kill all the things as per the timeline, so that's very positive...I've been keeping very compliant but I am trying to be honest and note where I could cut back on a little fruit here, add some more protein there.  I've already tired of eggs, but I found a recipe for apple mash which might make a good breakfast.

The whole30 rounds I've done in the past my big thing is FOMO - fear of missing out - when we are with friends, at events, weekend cocktails, I don't want to miss on the fun things everyone else is enjoying (or "gets" to enjoy if I'm being bitter)  but I think I have a good mental outlook for this round.  Just gotta get it done and reset.  It was my choice to be blase nutrition-wise this summer and this round is my choice to get back in the game.  

Hope everyone is having a GREAT day!!!

(I do miss my Diet Pepsi though - that's harder to give up than wine and cheese in my opinion)...

Hey everyone! Finally feeling a little less exhausted today on Day 4. Cravings are in check but I’m used to sticking to a whole30 lifestyle during the week. It’s the weekend when I usually allow myself to have a drink or a treat meals. I also have events the next 3 Saturday’s which will definitely require meal prepping before I go. It’s so true about FOMO on the whole30 and not letting yourself feel resentful of being left out of the fun. I was definitely guilty of that in my first round. Often times, fun involves good food and drinking, and this round I’m trying to focus on other ways to have a good time. For example, more intimate, quality time with the hubby during the week ;) and purchasing some new clothes in sizes I haven’t been able to wear in the last 5 years after having two kids! 

I was in bed by 9:30 last night - totally wiped out - but woke up feeling pretty cheerful.  Getting pumped for the weekend - I do great at work because I plan out my meals and take my food with me.  Maybe I'll pack my meals for tomorrow and Sunday like that and see if it helps :) Cheers to all!!!

Day 5 and I’m felling pretty good. Definitely have some cravings but have been able to keep them in check. I have some FOMO too but will pack my meals for activities this weekend. My next big focus is trying to add more veggies and cut back on some fruit, that is proving to be a challenge for me but I just got some whole30 approved salad dressings so I’m looking forward to salads for lunches! Trying not to focus too much on the fact I should have had less fruit and more veggies and focus on the wins I had this week (like passing up pizza that was offered on two different occasions) staying positive and not getting discouraged

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

I am currently at the movies with the family (morning matinee) and am pleased to report the concession stand didn’t beckon. In fact most of the displays looked kind of...gross. Feeling a bit smug which I’ll have to work on long term, it on a fragile day six I will take it lol. Cheers to everyone having a good weekend! 

Happy 1 week anniversary 8/6ers! 

How did everyone do on their first weekend? I have to admit it was a bit hard to say no to cocktails after a long week of work. But, i did it and slept almost 10 hours on both Saturday and Sunday! Did anyone else sleep like this? 

On 8/8/2018 at 1:47 PM, Alison Mary said:

I’m craving chocolate too or anything with sugar!

Good for us for sticking to it. I’m just going to drink my Kombucha (Whole30 approved, of course) and call it a night! 

Good luck at your party - you can do it!

Thank you so much. I did very well at the party! Thankfully, the food did not look very appetizing. :) 

Day 11!! Yay! Although today I am not feeling 100% well. My stomach has been bugging me and I am tired for some reason. Still no "tiger blood" but I am hoping that will come next week. No big plans this weekend (that I know of), so that is a plus for me. I made my own mayo which I am very proud of and used it as dressing. 

I get the whole FOMO thing, but it's only 19 (18 really) more days. We got this!

Good morning and TGIF!

Just wondering how everyone’s pants are fitting...mine seem quite tight for the amount that I’m not eating and what i have been eating since 8/6.  

Yes - i know this is more about losing weight - but Im not going to kid you all and say that wasn’t my main reason - because it is! ;)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Alison Mary said:

Good morning and TGIF!

Just wondering how everyone’s pants are fitting...mine seem quite tight for the amount that I’m not eating and what i have been eating since 8/6.  

Yes - i know this is more about losing weight - but Im not going to kid you all and say that wasn’t my main reason - because it is! ;)

Hi there. You may just be a little behind the normal timeline:  https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ 

You'll notice it says days 8-9 are a time when many people feel like their pants are tighter, but that's just a guideline, you may just now be hitting that stage.

It's also possible it has to do with where you are in your monthly cycle, if that applies to you. 

Or you could've eaten something that's caused a bit of bloating over the last day or so.

Don't panic, it'll sort itself out soon.

Hi everyone! Anyone else feeling like the “tiger blood” is settling in?? Workouts this week were exceptionally strong and clothes are fitting looser. Have a family reunion to attend on Saturday but I’ll be going in prepared. Right now, cravings are in check but old habits die hard on the weekends when I usually “treat” myself. However, I’ve found that nitro cold brew coffee and ice cold Bubly in a wine glass have been two wonderful things that has kept my FOMO fever in check ;) 

Hi All, 

Can't believe we are more than half way there. I am not feeling any "tiger blood" at all. I think it has to do with lack of sleep more than anything. I am still fighting cravings of sugar. Also, I live in Hawaii where a hurricane is heading our way. Hopefully, it will pass us by just leaving lots of rain.

My pants are not looser at all. :( But it is "that time of the month" and my cycle has been off, of course it would happen now. I am feeling a little discouraged wondering if all this is worth it. Cooking and buying more stuff to cook is expensive. Hawaii food costs are high. 

Anyhow, it is encouraging to hear that Candice is doing well! I really hope that by next week, I will be much more energetic and have looser pants!

Archived