Lokan_V - Whole 30

Lokan_V

This is my first round of Whole 30.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I hope to recognize my hunger cues and let go of any emotional crutch I may have with food.

I'm looking forward to learning new recipes and cooking (a ton!) for my family. After Whole 30, I hope to be able to make wiser decisions when it comes to food and ultimately live a healthier lifestyle.

Thanks for joining along!

Day 1

Breakfast/Lunch :  Spinach Frittata (tomatoes, onions, and spinach) and rosemary potatoes, green salad with herb citrus vinaigrette dressing, black coffee with chai spices. (We ate after church, so this was definitely a brunch meal. I should be having a full meal soon after I wake up.)

Dinner : Steak with Brussels sprouts, red onions, and sweet potatoes, with a balsamic vinegar glaze.

Reflection I think I need to eat more. Eat more what? I'm not too sure. I wasn't full when I went to bed but I'm not sure if I was truly hungry or just not "stuffed". I'm quickly realizing that this is a lot of cooking and prepping! I made my own mayo, salad dressing, and clarified butter. I hope to get better at meal prepping so I can save myself some time during the week. So far so good!

Currently on Day 3 and I. AM. SO. CRANKY. 

I'm hoping it's just because of the morning chaos (my son went back to school today) but I also know it could be because I'm not eating any sugar. 

Here's a review of Day 2:

Breakfast Spinach Frittata & potatoes from day 1. Black coffee with chai spices. 

Lunch Steak and veggies from Day 1 dinner.

Dinner : Laulau and poi (Hawaiian food) with a side of pineapple.  Laulau is meat (this time it was pork and fish, sometimes chicken), seasoned with salt, wrapped in taro leaves and steamed. Poi is cooked taro, pounded and mixed with water to a pudding/yogurt consistency. I was so excited that when I realized this was Whole 30 compliant!

Reflection : SO HUNGRY. ALL THE TIME. I read that this is normal and to be expected since I'm cutting out sugar. But it was rough! An hour after my meals, all I could think about was when I was going to eat again. 

Strategy for Day 3 - Make bigger meals and pack a Whole 30 "snack" for the afternoon.  My snack is leftover steak and veggies but in a smaller portion. I'm trying not to eat it but I have it just in case. 

• Moderators

Moodiness is pretty common early on. Days 4-5 are often referred to as "kill all the things" because normally easygoing people find themselves annoyed by even little things. It'll pass soon.

Do be sure you include fat in your meals, a serving or two in addition to whatever oil you cook in. Check the meal template for options, you can download it here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

3 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Moodiness is pretty common early on. Days 4-5 are often referred to as "kill all the things" because normally easygoing people find themselves annoyed by even little things. It'll pass soon.

Do be sure you include fat in your meals, a serving or two in addition to whatever oil you cook in. Check the meal template for options, you can download it here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Thank you for the feedback!

I'll check out the link to the meal template. I definitely struggle with adding fat to my meals, especially after avoiding it for so long. 

Recap of Day 3 :

Breakfast : Left over spinach frittata, potatoes, and a spinach salad with berries topped with herb citrus vinaigrette. 

Lunch : Laulau and poi with pineapple

Snack : Steak with brussel sprouts & sweet potato (small portion)

Snack : Pistachios 

Dinner Scallops with spinach salad topped with herb citrus vinaigrette

Reflection : OK, wow. I added the green salad and dressing to my breakfast for some healthy fat and "volume" in my stomach to help me feel fuller. I packed my lunch and an extra snack just in case I got really hungry. I figured if I didn't eat it, no big deal. It was there as a back up.

I was pretty good on my plan until lunch when I got invited for a "pau hana" session with my friends. Pau Hana literally translates to "work is done" and it's basically a time to grab drinks after work. My friend is moving out of state and this is the last time we'll have pau hana before she leaves. It wasn't a big gathering, just the core group of friends (4 of us). I didn't want my Whole 30 adventure to hold me back or feel like I'm missing out on time spent with friends and family. I know I'd have to navigate this sooner or later so I figured I'd test the waters.

I brought my snack (steak and veggies) to work because I was so hungry the day before. It was a good thing because I was able to eat my snack around 4 pm and hold steady at the bar without ordering or eating anything that was off my plan. The bar did have pistachios so I snacked on that and drank water for the hour or so that we were there. I got home around 8 pm and thought it would be enough time to cook dinner. 

but it wasn't. 

Wins - I didn't eat anything off plan, not even sweet potato fries! I thought about it but didn't want to break my 4 day streak :D I did snack on the pistachios and when I got home, I realized that I was eating them because it was something to do at the bar. While that's not part of the Whole 30 plan, I did learn more about myself and my habits. I'm counting it as a win. Next time I hope to be more mindful and aware of my actions and avoid the snacking completely. 

When I got home, I wasn't very hungry but needed to cook the scallops before they went bad. I cooked about a dozen and sat down to eat a few of them with a simple spinach salad. I wasn't very hungry so I didn't finish my dinner. I'm also counting that as a win because I was listening to my body. 

Pre-Whole 30 I would have had a drink or 3, ate at the bar, and then picked up Taco Bell on the way home. 

Lessons - 8 pm is not enough time to cook dinner and prep for the next morning! :blink: I was so tired! I went to bed around 11:30. My goal is to be in my bed before 10:30. I can't wait to sleep tonight. Also, the extra snacking really through off my "rhythm". I ate the scallops because I felt like I had to have my 3rd meal but I wasn't hungry for it at all. But I was worried about getting enough nutrients (and fat). 

TL;DR - I had some spontaneity in my day and while I didn't eat anything off the plan, I did snack a little too much. A lesson learned still counts as a win in my book.

Day 4 Recap:

Breakfast : Two fried eggs over brussel sprouts/sweet potato/onion veggie mix, side of spinach salad with walnuts, and berries.

Lunch : Laulau and Poi, side of fruit. No picture, though, I figured I didn't need another picture of the same food for lunch :D

Dinner : Surf and Turf! Scallops, steak, roasted asparagus, and fresh spinach topped with 1/2 a tomato.  Dinner made me feel super fancy LOL

I was less cranky yesterday and definitely not as hungry. I think adding walnuts to my salads has helped a ton. I need to review the Whole 30 meal template. It's been suggested to me by 2 different people and sounds like a very helpful tool!

After dinner I prepped lunch for today (Thursday, Day 5) which is a buffalo chicken salad on spinach (yes again), and a side of fruit. I also cooked pork sausage since it was about to go bad and I needed some more protein options.  Also realizing now that I need more veggies.

I've never had to shop for more veggies in the middle of the week. My husband has commented that he likes seeing all the fresh food in the refrigerator. Even though he's not participating in Whole 30 with me, he is still enjoying all the food. 

My biggest struggle so far is adapting to the new routine and work of cooking and prepping so often. Day 4 was tough because my son has jiu jitsu practice from 5-6. Today he has soccer practice from 5:30-6:30. I underestimated the amount of effort it would take to plan, prep, and cook. At least I know better now and will be better prepared next week. 

I'm ready to take on Day 5!

20180808_063636.jpg

20180808_194004.jpg

The cooking and prepping! It never ends! I actually really love cooking and prepping, but going from starting a slow-cooker chili at 10pm to wake up at 6am and make a frittata just seems excessive. 

And buffalo chicken is my absolute favorite food, so I'd love to see the recipe!

19 hours ago, ref_whole30 said:

The cooking and prepping! It never ends! I actually really love cooking and prepping, but going from starting a slow-cooker chili at 10pm to wake up at 6am and make a frittata just seems excessive. 

And buffalo chicken is my absolute favorite food, so I'd love to see the recipe!

I AM SO DONE WITH THE CLEANING AND PREPPING AND COOKING.

UGH. I underestimated the amount of work it takes to have good meals available and overestimated my energy levels :D. It'll be OK. Lesson learned! I think I need to take more advantage of my slow cooker. 

Buffalo chicken salad recipe was a FAIL. More so because I didn't follow a recipe... I kinda just winged it. It was still tasty, but definitely not buffalo chicken!

The Whole 30 book has a buffalo sauce recipe. I'm going to mix that with a some mayo and see how that works out. Do you have that book? I can put the recipe here or on IG.

Day 5 Recap : 

Breakfast : One friend egg, herb potatoes,  and a spinach salad with berries, walnuts, dressing.

20180809_064208.thumb.jpg.cdbbb816b07b001b3bb359d1e4a04e49.jpg

Lunch Chicken salad (with dashes of hot sauce) on spinach with pistachios.

20180809_121930.thumb.jpg.3c85c3cf702d364cdd7239b16f8b6bf7.jpg

Dinner : Rosemary Chicken with berry salad (again! I didn't finish it. I was so over it) and asparagus. 

20180809_194048.thumb.jpg.b4b9b4697027b9e1e3fee596d89fd62f.jpg

Yesterday I felt better. Tired, but not too bad. I'm not as hungry as I was in the beginning.

I don't like eating a full breakfast meal but I'm making it work - smaller portions, less heavy protein.

I think my body is getting used to 3 meals a day.  Before I picked up my son from school to shuttle him to soccer practice, I grabbed two boiled eggs from the gas station across the street from my work. And pumpkin seeds. I didn't eat my fruit from lunch and figured since we'd be on the field till about 6:30, I should bring a snack just in case I get hungry and absolutely cannot wait until dinner.

20180809_174450.thumb.jpg.2865fd874171f58ff36a8ca8cdb5bdcf.jpg

Guess what? I didn't need it! My son ate the boiled egg and some fruits after practice but I was fine the entire ride home. 

I got over confident at dinner time and just grabbed stuff out of the fridge. I ate spinach instead of broccoli and threw off my lunch plans for today (Day 6).

Today I have a potluck with friends from church so last night I made potato salad. 

WHAT IN GODS GOOD NAME WAS I THINKING.

Boiled eggs, boiled potatoes, chop veggies, mix it all together with mustard and mayo and spices. Only to realize I didn't have enough mayo! UGH - so I had to make mayo.

20180809_212345.thumb.jpg.7f5a899ad0c3168f40a3e14b63131db6.jpg20180809_220525.thumb.jpg.97b6a516cda4683210e1eb366b922298.jpg

Seeing this all written out really shows me that I can improve in my planning/prepping strategy. I think I might venture to Whole Foods to look for some Whole 30 approved brands of prepared food (like mayo and sauces). 

I don't want to set myself up for failure. There has to be a more efficient way. 

I am not discouraged, though. I'm seeing this all as a learning opportunity. ;)

WEEKEND RECAP

Day 6: Friday

Breakfast: Pork sausage (or egg, I can't remember) + a berry salad with walnuts (so over it by that time!)

Lunch: Laulau (the last of it) and poi. I don't think the leaves were cooked well because my throat got sore. I didn't finish it.

Dinner: Chicken, broccoli, and potato salad (WIN!)

I met with my small group from church on Friday night. It went pretty well. Found out that our hosts have done Whole 30 multiple times. So when I said I'm on dietary restrictions, they asked, "What kind?", and I responded with "Whole 30" and their faces lit up! So yay for experienced Whole 30ers in my circle. My potato salad was a hit, so I'm keeping that in my back pocket for future pot lucks. 

almost sabotaged myself though... they had cookies out for the kids (I guess for everyone?) and there was frosting on them. I gave my son one and got frosting on my fingers. I ALMOST LICKED MY FINGERS. GUYS! Have you seen Twilight? Whenever the vampires smell human blood they do this weird long sniff with their eyes closed? YAH - THATS ME with sugar. I could smell the sweetness and just had to wash my hands of it all instead of licking the frosting off my fingers. 

WHAT A WIN!

Still felt a little tired but I think the busy-ness of the week also contributed to that. 

WEEKEND RECAP

Day 7: Saturday

Pre-workout - Pork sausage + guacamole (protein and fat)

Post -workout- Egg + poi (protein and carbohydrates)

Exercise - Zumba for an hour

Breakfast: Chicken, potato salad, and broccoli

Lunch: Pork sausage and side salad

Dinner: Scrambled eggs (2) + berry salad with walnuts

I was nervous about my food choices before zumba but it worked out well. I felt good during exercise and a was a little tired after, I felt like I was about to hit a wall. But I had poi with me and bought boiled eggs from my gym's snack bar. Wow! What a difference! After I ate my poi (and shared with my son) and egg, I felt so good. 

Came home and stretched, hung out with my husband, and ate some leftovers for Meal 1. Took a nap then had a small lunch before heading to Whole Foods. I don't normally shop at Whole Foods but wanted to wander around to see if I could uncover Whole 30 treasures. I did, but they don't call it #WholePaycheck for nothing.

Dinner was super light because I wasn't feeling any other left overs and wasn't super hungry. I'm gonna pass on the berry salad for a few days though. I'm so done with it!

Hit a mental block while meal planning, feeling bored with my food, but still ready to tackle week 2.

WEEKEND RECAP

Day 8: Sunday

Breakfast: Rx Bar (blueberry)

Lunch: Spinach Frittata with potatoes and mandarin oranges

Dinner: CARNITAS (yes, so good it needs to be in all caps), cauliflower rice, bell peppers, and guacamole. 

Woke up late. I wanted to prep the carnitas in the slow cooker so as to not take up so much oven time later in the afternoon. I got that all done but then we were late to church (oops). So I grabbed an RX bar and ate it in the car. I think my taste buds are changing because I thought it was really sweet and my husband didn't think so. My son asked to try some and he ended up loving, it too. 

Once we got home I went to work on the frittata - it's so easy, I think I might make it every weekend! My potatoes came out better, too. 

My energy felt more stable. I felt good. I didn't even need to nap. Pre-whole 30 I would come home from church, eat and then nap till about 3.  But I didn't need to! We took my son to the pool for a little bit and I even had time to READ. 

I prepped more brussel sprouts + sweet potatoes, and made cauliflower rice. It was so much better than I thought it would be. Dinner was BOMB.

Aside from feeling a little bloated (right on cue!), I feel pretty awesome. 

18 minutes ago, Lokan_V said:

WEEKEND RECAP

Day 7: Saturday

Pre-workout - Pork sausage + guacamole (protein and fat)

Post -workout- Egg + poi (protein and carbohydrates)

Exercise - Zumba for an hour

Breakfast: Chicken, potato salad, and broccoli

Lunch: Pork sausage and side salad

Went through my food pics and realized I didn't have pork sausage and a side salad for lunch! It was leftover chicken salad on spinach with sliced cucumbers =)

For some reason I can't edit my posts....?

14 hours ago, Lokan_V said:

I was nervous about my food choices before zumba but it worked out well. I felt good during exercise and a was a little tired after, I felt like I was about to hit a wall. But I had poi with me and bought boiled eggs from my gym's snack bar. Wow! What a difference! After I ate my poi (and shared with my son) and egg, I felt so good. 

Your gym has a snack bar with boiled eggs?! Amazing!!

Hit a mental block while meal planning, feeling bored with my food, but still ready to tackle week 2.

I feel this. Would be happy to compare notes on meal planning if that would be helpful! 

almost sabotaged myself though... they had cookies out for the kids (I guess for everyone?) and there was frosting on them. I gave my son one and got frosting on my fingers. I ALMOST LICKED MY FINGERS. GUYS! Have you seen Twilight? Whenever the vampires smell human blood they do this weird long sniff with their eyes closed? YAH - THATS ME with sugar. I could smell the sweetness and just had to wash my hands of it all instead of licking the frosting off my fingers. 

Also this is the funniest imagery omg :lol:. Glad you caught yourself!!!!

9 hours ago, ref_whole30 said:

Your gym has a snack bar with boiled eggs?! Amazing!!

I feel this. Would be happy to compare notes on meal planning if that would be helpful! 

Also this is the funniest imagery omg :lol:. Glad you caught yourself!!!!

Yup! It's a UFC gym and the snack bar - get ready for this - is called the ARM BAR. LOLz. Smoothies, acai bowls, protein packs, etc.. I got 4 boiled eggs but it was so pricey. I could get a dozen for the same price! never again will I fall for that trap.

Let me get my notes together on my meal plans. I'm thinking, if I can just keep up with the veggies/sides/sauces, cooking chicken or steak or whatever doesn't take up too much time. I can swap the sides for my husband and son, too. IDK, I'm just taking it day by day.

Day 9 (Monday) Recap : 

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with brussel sprouts, sweet potato, and red onions.

Lunch - Carnitas, cauliflower rice, red and orange bell peppers, strawberries

Dinner - Chicken, brussel sprouts + sweet potato + red onions, side green salad w/ whole 30 approved ranch, left over potato salad. 

Snack - Apples with almond butter

I felt really good on Monday! I was happy, joking, laughing. It was a good day. I think I got the rest I needed over the weekend. I was pretty hungry when I got home. My eyes were bigger than my stomach and I didn't finish all the food I had on my plate. My husband was happy to help me finish my food!

I still felt like I was missing something, I wasn't super satisfied. I wanted to try the almond butter I purchased so I sliced up an apple and ate it with 1 tsb of almond butter. It was delicious! BUT I realized that it tasted WAY too much like a dessert to me. It's a trigger, and I'm breaking up with my dessert habit. 

I ate and enjoyed it, but learned that I can't do that again. Techinically compliant. Technically on program. But emotionally? Too risky.

I went to bed at a decent time. Overall, it was a great day!

Day 10 (Tuesday) Recap :

Breakfast - Frittata with potatoes, mixed greens with walnuts

Lunch - Carnitas with bell peppers and cauliflower rice, blueberries

Dinner - Turkey meatballs, spaghetti squash, marinara sauce

FEELING AMAZING. My energy feels stable, no afternoon crashes. I got a little grumpy in the evening when leaving work, just some personal stuff. I would usually order pizza, eat ice cream, or drink wine or beer, "to take the edge off" but I did not do any of those things! I grumpily prepped my dinner and ate it. I did have to sit with my feelings and work through it, but that's healthier than turning to my comfort foods. 

I prepped the spaghetti squash last night, which I'm learning is key. If I have the help at home, and the extra time, I should prep my veggies. Cooking protein doesn't take a long time for me, it's all the other sides that are draining. The chopping, slicing, cooking - takes up so much time. I can easily put some chicken in the oven and do something else, if all my sides are prepped. 

(But now that I type that out... maybe I should cook my protein ahead of time and prep my veggies as I need. Veggies tend to go bad faster and that way I'm eating them as fresh as possible... hmmmm maybe a plan for Week 3!)

Got sleepy around 9 pm, probably fell asleep around 10:30. I think I need to prioritize my sleep. I feel like I'm missing out because I'm not watching TV as much as I used to or taking time to read the books I want. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Which isn't bad... just an new habit.

I know days 10 and 11 are generally when most people quit. But I feel great. 

Let's goooooo!

Day 11 (Wednesday)

Breakfast - Frittata with potatoes

Lunch Spaghetti squash, turkey meatballs, marinara sauce

Snack 1/2 RX bar (chocolate hazelnut)

Dinner Steak, brussel sprouts, sweet potato, cauliflower rice.

Today was crazy. Feeling good, but the day was just crazy for me.

Got a late start in the morning, shoved food in my face, and ran out the door. Rushed lunch because I had to prep for a meeting that I was leading.  Left work early to pick up my son and take him to jiu jitsu. I was so HUNGRY.

I still had the Rx bars in my bag. Long story short - I bought them thinking the chocolate was compliant, after thinking they weren't and then was told otherwise. Second guessed myself, decided I didn't want them even if they were compliant. I don't need them. ANYWAY...

I was starving and knew that I wouldn't be eating for another 3-4 hours so I split the bar with my son. I didn't love it, felt satisfied, and didn't finish it. 

2 hours later and I'm STARVING. I can't help but wonder if I just stayed away from it, would I still be this ravenous? IDK...

Otherwise, I'm still feeling good! Ready to finish this week STRONG!

I'm still here!

It is now Day 17 and I am so happy to have more days behind me than in front of me!

Days 12 - 16 were kind of a blur. 

Going through my pictures, I can kind of piece together a quick summary of what happened.  Meals have been a lot of leftovers. I did try a new chicken nugget recipe and found some compliant chicken sausages.

Also, here's a facial progress pic, taken at Day 14. The one on the left was in early July. My weight was pretty steady pre Whole 30.

IMG_20180818_190944.thumb.jpg.16b41ad79aeafe120260dbe80aa7b86b.jpg

Day 12 Thursday: 

High point- Stood against a major stress related craving for buttery popcorn at my son's PTO event. I didn't plan on going, so didn't back any food. I had a RX bar in my bag but didn't want to use it. The cafeteria was filled with a fierce buttery goodness while we watched Moana on a projector screen. My son even asked me to hold his popcorn for him and I did. not. take. one. bite!

Low point - Because I did not plan on staying out that late, my dinner was really late (9pm) and it threw off my hunger cues. I should have just had the Rx bar but I was convinced (and determined) that I did not need it. 

Day 13 Friday: 

High point - Found compliant local food (Kalua pig) at my regular grocery store. I always assumed that these packages had lots of junk in them, but no! Just pork, salt, vinegar. Yummm!

Low point - Had a little bit of a headache but overall, no low points here!

Day 14 Saturday:

High point - Found pre-cut butternut squash at the grocery store. Roasted some and had it for dinner. First time in my life! Also found a recipe for chicken nuggets that was amazing, even my kiddo approved (and asked for seconds!)

Low point - Again, no real low points except the dread of meal planning. I've had support from friends here ( @ref_whole30 !!) and on instagram with getting my organization in gear. 

Day 15 Sunday:

High point - Navigated a movie theater... more like avoided the concession stand. That was mentally very tough for me. I kept wanting to reach into my husband's popcorn bag and snack. But I reminded myself that I was OK, and I chose to be on Whole 30. It's just a couple more weeks and I can have popcorn if I want!

I also brought a salad to the food court, so I wouldn't have to navigate those options either. I showed myself to be stronger than I thought and the feeling of control has increased my confidence tremendously.

Tested my resolve again with apples and almond butter. I wasn't super hungry when we got home but felt I needed to eat something. I had a small bowl of Kalua pig and apples with almond butter. I felt OK with that choice because I wasn't looking for dessert, I really wanted apples with almond butter. I know that seems like a fine line, or even the same thing. But the difference is I wasn't eating apples because I wanted Ben & Jerry's and apples were just a healthier substitute. I ate them because I wanted them. That's what Food Freedom means to me. 

Low point - Nothing that I can remember. I know I still had a lingering, minor headache. I don't think I'm getting enough sleep. 

Day 16 Monday:

High Point - Day Date with my husband! Kind of... While perusing Target after dropping my son off at school, we decided to catch a movie (again!). I thought I'd have a chance to go home after we left the school but that didn't happen. So I found some random salad fixings at Target and we ate in the car, in the mall parking lot, before the movie started. We shared a small container of spinach, spicy guacamole, celery sticks, tomatoes, boiled eggs, and blackberries. 

AND while at Target I picked up the Whole Smiths Good Food Cookbook. So excited to have recipes on hand for Whole 30 and beyond!

Low point - I'm getting bored with my meals. Dinner was steak and veggies, since it's the easiest. Not really that low, but if I had to pick a low point, boredom would be it. 

WHEW! Now you are all caught up =)

If you made it through all that, thanks for sticking around!

The movie theater struggle is so real! I went to see a movie this weekend and I was worried it just wouldn't be the same experience without popcorn... but I smuggled in a water bottle and some cashews, and it was actually totally fine. Not sure this means that in the future I'll continue to skip the popcorn when I don't have to, but at least I know I can!

Hello there!

Been preparing for a hurricane the past week. 

It was a stressful time but I still managed to stay on Whole 30.

I did try a new recipe, chicken adobo. Well, not really new, but new to me while on Whole 30. Traditionally the chicken would be cooked in soy sauce and vinegar but I used coconut aminos instead. It was delicious!

Here's a brief summary of the past week : 

Day 17 Tuesday

Tried a salad in a jar for lunch - yumm! I layered carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, pistachios, and lettuce, with Whole 30 approved ranch on the bottom. I also had a side of chicken nuggets (made with almond flour). 

Don't really remember much else of this day but I do know that I was feeling pretty good!

Day 18 Wednesday

Left work early to prepare for the hurricane. 

Made chicken adobo and cauliflower rice.

I am really loving cauliflower rice! It's so versatile and an easy way for me to get all my veggies.

Day 19 Thursday

Kind of a blur.

We boarded up our windows and  I made some stops at the grocery store to get canned food. In Hawaii, if our ports close, it may take more than a week for shelves to be restocked, even more if there was damage to the runways at the airport or our harbors. I knew we'd make it through the storm on what we had in our refrigerator but would probably need provisions for a week, worst case scenario.

Day 20 Friday

Breakfast was bananas, blueberries, and almond butter. I sat outside on our porch, waiting for my husband to get home. 

Early morning/late Thursday night, fires broke out in my hometown and the big winds were not helping. It was really stressful. I was on about 3 hours of sleep and constantly checking Facebook for updates from friends/family. 

I know I ate 3 meals but can't remember what the other two were. Complete blur.

This was the day I made a tiny slip. I wasn't thinking and took a sip and a bite of a noodle while fixing my son's dinner. I didn't realize what had happened until a couple minutes later. I gave him his soup, went back into the kitchen and then thought, "Did I just...? Did that really happen? I can't believe I didn't catch myself!"

I was super disappointed but reminded myself that it wasn't intentional, I didn't give in to a craving, and it was literally just a bite of one noodle and a slurp of broth. 

I decided not to start over because I'm taking a last minute trip to visit family in a couple weeks and have my cousins wedding. It's just too stressful. 

Day 21 Saturday

Back to my standard scrambled eggs with a green salad. This is the easiest way for me to get my veggies and makes me feel good about starting off on the right foot. I think this may be a meal I keep around, even after whole 30.

Lunch and Dinner were more left overs...

I was still super tired from staying up so late and being on hurricane watch. 

Day 22 Sunday

Breakfast : 2 scrambled eggs, green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, pistachios, and ranch

Lunch 1 boiled egg, cucumbers, blueberries, almond butter (at the last minute my husband told me he had to run errands after church so I wasn't going to be able to go home to eat. I just grabbed whatever I could. It definitely does not make the best whole 30 meal list!

Dinner : Steak, cauliflower rice with onions, roasted asparagus. NOW THAT'S BETTER!! 

Felt back to my usual self but realized that I'm quickly running out of veggie options. I'm still tired but I think I need to be better about going to bed on time. My energy is stable throughout the day but I'm still so tired in the mornings. 

I am on the final stretch of this and it feels so good! I remember hitting Day 15 (just a week ago!) thinking that I can finally see the light. But it's not even that bad! The first 10 days were definitely the hardest.  

I am still here!

Day 23 Monday recap :

Breakfast: scrambled egg with a green salad (same as always!)

Lunch: Steak, cauliflower rice, and asparagus

Dinner: Kalua pig with onions and cabbage, side of poi

Reflection: So bored.

------------------------------------------------------------

Day 24 Tuesday Recap:

Breakfast: Frittata (spinach, tomato, onions), blueberries

Lunch: Steak, cauliflower rice, asparagus

Dinner: Baked chicken, green salad (romaine, cucumbers, pistachios, ranch dressing)

Reflection: I AM SO OVER IT. It shows in my lack of planning, too. I've been throwing veggies together with random proteins just to make a meal. The thought and intention is no longer there. The good side (I guess) is that I'm really comfortable building Whole 30 meals. I still struggle with adding fat, but I think the easiest way is to have a salad with dressing.

Even though I'm eating a lot of veggies, I feel like I go through the same rotation every week and am getting bored with my options.  I'm just trying to make it through this next week. My official last day is on Monday (labor day!), when a lot of people are starting a September Whole 30.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall thoughts so far on Whole 30 (writing this on Day 25)

I see a huge difference in my face and how my clothes fit. Yesterday I wore pants that are usually tight around the waist, sometimes it's a bit uncomfortable when I sit for too long. But now? No discomfort, whatsoever! It was such a nice feeling!

I am struggling to stay away from the scale. Weight has always been a huge issue in my life, for as long as I can remember (probably back to 7 or 8 years old). It's the main reason I started Whole 30. To be honest, it will probably be a big reason why I will continue with Whole 30 in later months. 

There are other non-scale victories, though! My skin is clearer and I sleep a lot better. I'm consistently sleepy around 9:30 pm, trying to get in bed by 10:30. I still need to wake up with an alarm, but I know I'll get there one day. 

Every day I eat at least 5 servings of vegetables. I'm ashamed to admit, but pre-Whole 30, there were days that the closest thing I ate to a vegetable would be french fries from McDonalds and marinara sauce with dinner. 

Because I'm so busy prepping and cooking, I don't have time to watch TV. I rarely watch TV during the week but still enjoy a good binge session or movie on the weekend.

I'm holding on to finish what I started.... so close!

Archived