Starting August 20!

AdelaideNess

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - I started on the 20th as well.  This is my first time and I just found time to get on the website and the forums.  I’m doing OK so far.  I usually eat Whole Foods and lots of home made meals, not prepared foods, so that isn’t a big change.  My big change is no wine, and no chocolate.  I miss both of them, but I haven’t been desperately tempted.  That probably comes later?

I had a little headache today - but not looking forward to tomorrow - the day that the timeline describes as Kill All The Things!  I don’t have room in my life for taking out my problems on other people.  Hopefully I can just be “chill”.

Good luck to everyone for a great Day 4!

@Hope4Overcomers I was also getting a little desperate last night! It's much better to have a plan than trying to figure out what to eat and cook at 8PM.

@Sally_PDX I am also struggling with the wine and chocolate. I'm sure the wine will hit me harder this weekend since I don't really drink on the weekdays. BUT the chocolate...gah. I'm used to having several Dark Chocolate Coconut Almonds every night. This craving has yet to go away.

Day 4 Updates: I made a delicious omelette for breakfast and had a really good lunch today (see pic attached)! I coated my coleslaw in Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo and the chicken is leftovers from this recipe http://www.everylastbite.com/2016/08/09/mexican-chicken-burger/  I haven't felt hungry at all today so that's a good sign that I am getting everything I need. 

Only thing I have notices is my thirst is out of this world. I can't get enough water right now. Anyone else experiencing this?

I am also struggling to eat pre work out and post. Anyone have any tips? What do you all eat before a work out and after?

IMG_5102.jpg

@HoustonLiving, Greetings!

The book(s) strongly recommend eating pre and post workout. My Day By Day isn’t by my side right now but I believe it has suggestions as well as the main Whole30 Book. I’m sorry I don’t have access to those books at this moment or I’d give you page numbers. It’s in there though! Definitely eat Whole30 compliant pre and post workout. 

If you can’t find the info let me know and I’ll get to my books and fill you in on the details.

Hope that helps!

Do Be Encouraged!

Dianne

P.S. Yummy looking food! Thanks for the link!

I also had trouble with pre/post workout snacks. It actually turned my stomach to think about eating anything, so I didn't. It didn't affect my energy level and doing it this way worked for me. I know it's recommended, but I just couldn't do it. Just finished my 30 days and had excellent results (better than expected!). I'm a big believer in doing whatever works for you. Best of luck!

@kirbz thank you for the advice! I did throw down an egg this week before one work out but was so grossed out by it and then felt stuffed while I was working out. I'm already eating 2 eggs for breakfast every morning so the thought of having 3 a day doesn't sit well with me. 

@stonehouse Glad to hear you had a successful Whole 30! Congrats on finishing. I'll have to just do what I can! 

Hi everyone!  I started on my own on the 21st. This is also my first time every participating in a forum like this.  Glad to be here :)  I heard Melissa talking on a podcast and decided right then to do this.  I don't have a book yet, and I'm learning as I go. Fortunately, my diet is already somewhat clean, so I didn't need to do a huge kitchen overhaul. However, I'm a lifelong, die hard sugar-lover. I've known that I have a dependency and eat for emotional reasons, but nothing, EVER, has been the right thing to feel strong enough to redirect.  So far, so good. It's actually making me a little nervous that it's not been more difficult...waiting for the true cravings to hit.  Maybe just walking away from these foods entirely is ultimately easier than trying to still have "controlled" amounts.  We will see.  If there are any other sugar fiends on here, give me a shout.  I'd like the company!  I haven't told my family/friends that I'm doing this.  Somehow it seems easier to stay private with it for now.  Except for being here of course!  Good luck to all!  

@Michele B. welcome aboard! So very, very, glad you have joined us! I’m a fellow sugar craving breathing dragon, myself! You are in the right place! I’m craving the sugar and grains even though I didn’t eat many grains. Day 5 for me. I am a bit fatigued and headachy. This is my second round. My first one was a grand success and I lost the dragon and gained Tiger Blood. I love the main book and Day By Day. They are great help.

You are in the right place and again, I’m so glad you’re here!

Be Encouraged!

Dianne

@Hope4Overcomers day 5 as well and also feeling sooo tired. I napped from 3-5:30pm and now I’m ready to go back to bed. I was starving when I woke up so I decided to eat an egg with tomatoes and hatch peppers cooked in ghee, half an avocado, snap peas and a banana with some nuttzo at 7pm. I have no energy to work out right now so I’m just trying to listen to my body and rest. Hopefully I’ll have more energy tomorrow. Oh and my thirst is still unreal. 

I’m still here! I haven’t checked in since Tuesday, but I have been on plan. I am more tempted by the idea of weighing or taking my measurements than by foods. I have realized there are just vast sections of the grocery store that I can avoid altogether. Today was the second day back for teachers. I spent two days mostly in meetings, although today was a music teachers’ workshop, so we did lots of singing and dancing. I was away from home for 15 hours yesterday, getting home at 10 pm and then making dinner out of tuna salad and coleslaw. Tonight I was home at a reasonable hour and cooked a steak and some rainbow chard with shallots, toasted almonds, and apple cider vinegar. I have been so tired these last couple of days, so I decided to try coffee. I usually like my coffee with a few tablespoons of whole milk and a little honey or stevia, so plain coffee was sort of unappealing. I used my French press and put about a teaspoon of cinnamon in with the coffee, then finished it with some coconut milk. It worked, but was not my favorite.

My son has been with his dad since I started on the plan. He is coming back this weekend and I am starting to worry a little about making compliant meals that he will eat (he’s 8). But I have one more week before school starts to get the planning and menu figured out.

I hope you all are doing well!

Andrea

@HoustonLiving, have you considered just an egg white or some nuts and carrot or apple slices before your workout?

@Michele B., I checked out the book from heather library. When I realized I’m going to be using it in the kitchen a lot, I decided to buy my own copy. I don’t want to get mayo on the library’s copy!

@Hope4Overcomers, I have a sugar dragon too. I mostly cut sugar a couple of weeks before starting the plan, and can’t imagine if I had just gone cold turkey!

I went cold turkey on the sugar when I started the program. Last night was my first difficult time. I think I associate weekend nights with relaxing, maybe celebrating the end of the work week, being with family. And sugar became a part of that through baking (which I've loved for decades) and having that weekend "reward". I missed it last night, but I stayed focused on the real reasons I was wanting it - which certainly wasn't hunger!

@AndreaF the coffee thing has been an adjustment for me too. I've been making sure I have super fresh beans from a local roaster so at least I'm not drinking STALE black coffee haha.  Cinnamon helps a lot. I believe that we can retrain our taste buds over time. This is certainly a situation for me where if I had even one sip of coffee with cream and sugar, I'd be back to square one though. Also, like you I cook for kids. Mine are a bit older, but in the past one of my strategies has been to serve the meal that fits my dietary needs without drawing attention to it. If you feel he will need something that you don't eat, then choose something that isn't a huge temptation for you. The other day I walked into a fabulous french-oven local bakery to get bread for my family (vs grocery store bread, at least). I was immersed in carb heaven. The smell is divine. Baked goods everywhere.  I have to say, that was a challenge.  And then I smelled the bread all the way home in my car.  The days of me sampling the bread while driving home are gone. I stayed focused on "why" of my choices rather than on thoughts of what I am "missing" in terms of food pleasure.  I'm also "missing" some serious bloating and other nasty symptoms.  Anyway, best of luck to you as you tackle meal planning with your son, and please keep us posted!  I could certainly benefit from some new strategies :) 

I'm seeing several comments about fatigue.  Being super new to this, I don't know what range of symptoms people can have with this plan. However, could this be due to too few carbs, especially when working out? I have not had good success over the years with combining super-low carb eating with training. There seems to be a lot of support out there in the fitness realm for the idea that women may not be able to go as low carb as men (hormones, etc).  Anyway, I felt low energy last night.  My dinner was all protein and veggies so I quickly cooked a potato to add more carbs. I felt great, energy-wise, but woke up this morning with some serious bloating and other side effects. So white potatoes are being added to my list of foods to eliminate for 30 days.  I will rely on sweet potatoes. I would be interested to hear if any of you guys have been able to boost your energy with some additional approved carbs. 

I'm a little bummed that rice is an exclusion.  I've read the reasons, White rice is just so rarely a cause for distress, it surprises me. But I'm sticking to it.  It is just 30 days!

• Moderators

I hope everyone is doing well today. I just wanted to mention, since there are several people talking about tiredness -- it's pretty normal to be tired during the first week or so of Whole30, especially if this is a pretty big change from how you ate before. Definitely be sure you're eating enough (check out the meal template and other helpful downloads here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/), that you're drinking plenty of water (aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz of water), salting your food to taste, and just take it easy as much as you can. If you're not up for your normal workouts, do some stretching or walking, or put on some music and dance around your house, just a little bit of movement of some sort. 

Most people find they do well with a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (those would include your root vegetables like potato, sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, or beets; winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or kabocha squash; and plantains). Some people need a little more, a few people do fine with less, but that's generally a good place to start.

If you feel like your tiredness is extreme, or if it lasts more than a couple more days, and you'd like some feedback on if you've got your meals right or if you might need to make some changes, or if you're having any other issues or questions, please start a thread in the Troubleshooting section of the forum (https://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/). Let us know specifically what you've been eating -- the portion sizes as they relate to the meal template, the specific vegetables, what you're doing for pre- and post-wo food if applicable. 

Good Day My Fellow Whole 30ers! 

Thanks for all of your feedback @Michele B. and for your feedback and additional help @ShannonM816! Both of you are very helpful.

Well I went out on a date with my boyfriend last night and did not make wise choices. Trying to move on rather than beat myself up too badly! So do I go back to Day 1 or simply go to Day 36?? @ShannonM816 you may be a good one to guide me in that area.

Have my Day By Day Book out and not sure which day I should read. I’m guessing back to Day 1? While I’m disappointed in myself, I just want to pick up the pieces and proceed on, whichever “Day” that might be.

Had a lovely omelet for breakfast with olive oil, eggs, spinach, mushrooms, avocado, and compliant seasonings. Having compliant tea now. Hey, it’s a new day and the sun is shining! So am I.

You’re All Awesome!

Dianne

11 hours ago, AndreaF said:

@HoustonLiving, have you considered just an egg white or some nuts and carrot or apple slices before your workout?

@Michele B., I checked out the book from heather library. When I realized I’m going to be using it in the kitchen a lot, I decided to buy my own copy. I don’t want to get mayo on the library’s copy!

@Hope4Overcomers, I have a sugar dragon too. I mostly cut sugar a couple of weeks before starting the plan, and can’t imagine if I had just gone cold turkey!

Dearest @AndreaF, you are so right. For me at least cutting out sugar cold turkey without weaning was tough. I fell down. I’m back up and have dusted myself off. Onward and upward! I’m a believer in fresh starts and overcoming, after all!!

Blessings, 

Dianne

@Hope4Overcomers I want to respond to your post, but being new to this, I also don't want to misrepresent this program. So here goes. I did see a blog post addressing this issue (slip-ups).  It was not affiliated with this site but was posted by a program follower. Lots of those online. This person said something along the lines of, if you face-plant into an entire pizza and have a six pack of beer along with it, then probably start over. A small slip up, maybe not. What I wonder is, will starting over have benefit to you? Or will it be so discouraging that it sets you back? I think you will ultimately be the best judge.  My husband brought home some corn on the cob from our farmer's market this past week, and I ate it thinking that it's a vegetable and ok. Later I thought maybe I should double check and looked it up.  Oops.  I am not starting over after that. My frustration in starting over after a misstep like that would not be worth it. This is a process, I think, not an exercise in being OCD. However, if today I felt really tempted by the corn that's still in our fridge and ate some, thinking, "well just this once won't hurt", that's a different matter, to me.  I would be off track at that point and need to reset. 

Those who are more experienced with this program, please jump in and correct me if I'm way off track here. 

Dearest @Michele B., thank you so much for your input. Shaming myself and going to Day 1 does not sound edifying or encouraging. I’d rather move on from where I’m at. I learned a lesson well.

Howrver I certainly am interested in any further feedback from those in the know, as I want to do this properly and not look at myself as a “cheat”. That’s not healthy for me either.

Thanks again @Michele B.!!!! Really! Any others have feedback on the issue??

Be encouraged as you all so encourage me! 

Dianne

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Well I went out on a date with my boyfriend last night and did not make wise choices. Trying to move on rather than beat myself up too badly! So do I go back to Day 1 or simply go to Day 36??

This is the official guidance on whether to start over or not:  https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/ 

Definitely don't beat yourself up. I know you've been working on this for a while now, so remember that every day that you make healthy decisions is a step in the right direction and is making you healthier, so one day of less than great decisions isn't going to undo everything you've done. However, if you plan to do reintroductions because you want to know more about how foods affect you, you really need a minimum of 30 days without any off-plan foods so you have a clean slate to work from. Restarting isn't about punishing people for not being perfect, it's just the way to get the best information from the reintroduction portion of this experiment you're doing. 

Archived