Starting August 20!

AdelaideNess

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am probably getting ahead of myself, but trying to keep the goal in sight... so...

My birthday falls on day 35. I don’t have time for a proper reintroduction before my day, but I want to be able to go out for dinner and maybe enjoy some grains and a dessert. Then my son’s birthday falls 31 days after mine. (I make the cake and food for his party - don’t think I could do that then not even try it!) Then Thanksgiving a little less than 30 days, then Christmas,... I was thinking I might just stay compliant on all the days that are not special days and restart at Day 1 after each, then push reintroduction into 2019. Is that crazy? Am I going to get burned out? Or is it going to give me more time to reinforce good habits? I am on this plan to slay the sugar dragon, reduce inflammation, eliminate emotional /compulsive eating, and lose a lot of weight. Has anyone else done back to back, either intentionally or because of slip-ups near the end?

@AndreaF I have a similar strategy on planning ahead for my "worth it" moments. I plan on being Whole 30 until Sept 22, re-intro until Oct 2 (where I test out gluten at a lunch with a friend), and then we are going south from Oct 5-9 where I will not be cooking. 

After that I'm going to be Whole 30 plus the foods that don't bother me and then full Whole 30 again from Nov 24 to Dec 24. 

I think it is great that you are planning ahead! 

Kudos to @AndreaF and @Mandy612 for your planning strategies! Hats off to you both. My boyfriend and I happily went back to Day 1 today after living in learning from date night yesterday. I bought him the book Day By Day as well, to help him along the journey in understanding the program. He already has and has read the main book. We both remain psyched even though we’re back at “go”!

You all be encouraged!

Dianne

I had some cooked ground beef with a bit of chili powder in it. I made compliant sloppy Joe sauce and spooned it over a sweet potato. The sauce wasn’t as sweet as regular Joe sauce, but the sweet potato boosts it. Day 6 is in the books. Almost a week down!!!

Had my first food dream last night. I ate a bowl of gumbo and then realized afterwards that there is flour in the roux and rice in the soup. I eat gumbo occasionally, but not frequently enough to even know if there is really rice in gumbo. I did not wake up wanting gumbo, fortunately, although it would probably be easy to make a compliant version! I hope you all have a SPECTACULAR Day 7 (or Day 2 for @Hope4Overcomers)! Almost one week done!

Hello friends! I've been out of the mix, but following along all week, and have stayed on plan - today is day 7.

This week I spent two days shopping for college with my son, one day packing, one day unpacking/settling in and one day leaving/driving home. It's been a crazy, emotional week.  I managed stay on track, even at picnics and eating out. It was challenging at times, but completely possible. (My guide - can I have meat and vegetables? I'll be ok.)

Yesterday was the hardest, because I'm an emotional eater. I really wanted to jump into an ice cream sundae because I was so sad to leave him at school. However, he is doing great and loving it, which makes it all easier. I slept a lot last night and even took a much needed nap today.

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Week 2 tends to be easier for me, and hope it is for you, too!

Hi guys, I am Elizabeth. I am going to jump on here. I am 51 and a sugar addict. I take it in all forms (fast foods my favorite, diet coke, bread, candies, etc.)  Today is my day 0. I have been having a hard time getting started. I have plenty of meat made so all I really need is veggies made. I just went through the Day 0 on the Day by Day and did my If..THEN I'LL list. I am looking to get out of pain and numbness in my right hand. I know part of it is food related because when I had gastritis and I could barely eat it went away. I am hoping to improve some skin issues and allergies. It would be great to sleep better as well. I know that the weight will handle itself as I get healthy. 

My goal this time around are: 

1. No fast food and soda (I do this every morning with a magazine)

2. No reading or watching TV while I eat

3. Do my PT every day, walk and stretch 4-5 per week.

4. And last but not least give my sugar dragon her walking papers and not being controlled by it anymore. 

@CCLaymon  I'm impressed!  I know how hard that is taking a child to college!  Congrats on navigating that successfully.  It's such a big transition, and you did it!  I'm an emotional eater as well, particularly if no one is around ;)  I hope that you are truly feeling the empowerment from your successful week.  BTW, I'm on day 7 as well!  First time through the program. 

@Elizabeth33 Hello and welcome!  I'm with you on the sugar dragon goal for sure. I try to keep reminding myself that new habits take a little while to take hold, but when they do it will be a little easier. I was reminded of this while getting ready this morning. I had moved my face cream from the counter into a drawer, and like the past several days, I kept reaching in the wrong direction for it. Silly, but a good reminder of the little bit of time it takes to relearn habits!

And good morning/Happy Monday to all!  I feel grateful to have navigated the weekend successfully.  It was definitely challenging.  I'm learning that I have really "rewarded" myself with food on the weekends.  Now I'm learning new rewards. My biggest challenge was going to a favorite Indian restaurant with my family. We had really fresh naan delivered to our table. That dang plate smelled like heaven and sat right in front of me.  Later came the rice of course.  It was interesting to me that once I got past the first minute or so, it was fine. It felt really, really good to have that kind of resolve.  I left feeling like not only had I not missed out on anything, but really happy that I probably wouldn't have the consequences that I usually have after such a meal. It is becoming apparent now, even in just 6 days, that nightshades are irritating to my system. So that was apparent the following day. This plan is so very good. After years of struggling with food issues and trying to find my way, it's such a relief to be here. Now I just need to read more! I started this plan very suddenly, only accessing the free info online. From reading other posts here, I think it would be helpful to get further into ISWF.  Have a great day everyone!

9 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Hi guys, I am Elizabeth. I am going to jump on here. I am 51 and a sugar addict. I take it in all forms (fast foods my favorite, diet coke, bread, candies, etc.)  Today is my day 0. I have been having a hard time getting started. I have plenty of meat made so all I really need is veggies made. I just went through the Day 0 on the Day by Day and did my If..THEN I'LL list. I am looking to get out of pain and numbness in my right hand. I know part of it is food related because when I had gastritis and I could barely eat it went away. I am hoping to improve some skin issues and allergies. It would be great to sleep better as well. I know that the weight will handle itself as I get healthy. 

My goal this time around are: 

1. No fast food and soda (I do this every morning with a magazine)

2. No reading or watching TV while I eat

3. Do my PT every day, walk and stretch 4-5 per week.

4. And last but not least give my sugar dragon her walking papers and not being controlled by it anymore. 

Yayyy @Elizabeth33! So very, very, glad to see you here! I’m on Day 3 and am off to a fresh new start. Definitely a sugar dragon! @Elizabeth33 sounds like you’ve done some excellent planning and I’m so happy to see you here! You, my dear, are also a wealth of resources and I really look forward to your input. I’ll already add in some of your input by adding in PT/exercise to my program. I’m looking to tear down the house of inflammation as well. Welcome again. I have full faith in you even if you may not yet!

Be Super Encouraged!

Dianne

17 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Hello friends! I've been out of the mix, but following along all week, and have stayed on plan - today is day 7.

This week I spent two days shopping for college with my son, one day packing, one day unpacking/settling in and one day leaving/driving home. It's been a crazy, emotional week.  I managed stay on track, even at picnics and eating out. It was challenging at times, but completely possible. (My guide - can I have meat and vegetables? I'll be ok.)

Yesterday was the hardest, because I'm an emotional eater. I really wanted to jump into an ice cream sundae because I was so sad to leave him at school. However, he is doing great and loving it, which makes it all easier. I slept a lot last night and even took a much needed nap today.

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Week 2 tends to be easier for me, and hope it is for you, too!

@CCLaymon so glad to have you here! A fellow survivor of allowing the now adult child out of the house to attend college, all with a primary survival skill (or lack of) in emotional eating. You’re doing great! I’m so proud of you. Definitely a biggie! Glad you are in the mix now and are doing this for yourself. Yayyy you!

Be Encouraged! You’re Doing It!

Dianne

39 minutes ago, Michele B. said:

@Mandy612 and @Hope4Overcomers  You ladies are great planners!  I've not thought about the challenges ahead with birthdays, etc., and you guys have inspired me. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice for you, being new here, but I think it's great that you guys are thinking ahead like that. 

@Michele B. you’re not new here! You’re difinitely right down in it with us! So glad you are a much needed part of the group! Go get em!

Dianne

@LydiaJo so glad your knee is doing better. For all those parents out there my hat is off to you. It is really impressive on how you can do this and also make meals for family members who are not doing this. Well done for those who have kids going off to college.

I have successfully completed day 1. This is huge for me. In the past I would always find an excuse to push my start date back a day or 2 and then at some point before the week is over talk myself out of doing this entirely. I did complete 1 whole 30 in 2013 and then made it to day 25 in 2016. I am tired today and my brain is starting to fog over a little bit. I will be eating more than the 3 meals a day during most of this since I have gastritis and eating too much causes stomach upset. As I go on I hope to be able to get closer to the 3 meals a day. 

I have some bieler broth and chicken broth defrosting for tomorrow in case I am feeling sick. I will be making more this week. I have duck, turkey, and chicken bones to create it - YUMMY I am going to make/prep more veggies tomorrow as well.

Food today

B - eggs, bacon, asparagus, and watermelon (only ate 1/2 and saved for snacks)

Sn - 2 oz chicken, very small apple, with almond butter

L - Shrimp, mixed greens with balsamic oil & vinegar dressing, and remaining watermelon

D - Meatloaf, zucchini & yellow squash (chopped with nutritional yeast, salt & pepper, topped off with coconut flour and browned the top), sweet potato mash

The meatloaf was the amazing and I have attached my recipe. I need to make more starchy veggies so I don't have as much fruit for tomorrow. I put omit on the things that I didn't use but put it in there for those of you who can eat onions and garlic. Enjoy from case de Schultz

My one worry is that I always get really hungry at night. I always eat before bed so I don't wake up in the middle of the night hungry and not able to sleep. I need to figure out what is something quick and easy to grab out of the fridge in case I can't fall back to sleep. This week will definitely be a transition as I move away from it.

I hope everyone else's day went great.

Whole 30 Paleo Bacon Italian Meatloaf.docx

@Elizabeth33 Thanks for the recipe link!  Also thank you for the nod about doing this with kids. As I was putting tortilla chips (along with an otherwise healthy lunch) into my kids' lunch boxes this morning, I did sigh just a little.  But it's all good and going well.  Sometimes I daydream just a little about when my kitchen will reflect only how I want to eat, and then I remember my husband, who is NOT on board with this program, and I doubt ever will be. The sight of most vegetables sends him into a fit of rebellion :D Ultimately, we live in a culture where we are surrounded, all the time, by convenience foods, or images/reminders/hooks to convenience foods. I spent a little time in Ecuador earlier this year, and I was AMAZED at the abundance of fresh food everywhere, and the lack of convenience food. The expats there across the board report a vastly changed relationship with food, and better health. Anyway, I think we must be able to resist frankenfoods, kids or not. 

Also, I have had a night or two where I felt uncomfortably hungry at bedtime. For me, a small level of hunger is ok, and I feel great in the morning, but if amped up just a bit, I won't be able to sleep. I had a good response to eating 3-4 nuts. Conventional wisdom is that some carbs at night aid sleep, but I'm at a bit of a loss to what kind of carb I would eat at bedtime on this program. Not fruit, unless maybe 1/2 a banana?  I wouldn't be up for cooking a sweet potato or eating salad at that time of night :)  Input welcome here! I do know that snacking is discouraged unless absolutely necessary, so I'm operating on the assumption that we are talking about enough hunger that it would keep you awake. We all know how crucial sleep is for everything, including making healthy food choices. 

Have a great day everyone! Enjoying the posts here!

And....back again :) I could use some advice.

I subscribe to meal delivery service. Currently Sun Basket, which my family doesn't love, but I can make it work and it mostly fits my needs. I have found that using a delivery service is sometimes less expensive for us because I spend less time at the store, and it saves me TONS of time (but no leftovers!!!)  However, it is more challenging now to select meals that are Whole30 compliant, although Sun Basket is pretty good and the best I've found. Blue Apron is currently advertising Whole30 compliant meals in September, but only for 2 person plans, which I think is crazy, given that lots of busy families utilize meal delivery. Anyway, they also won't allow doubling up on a selection, so they are inflexible with families.

Has anyone found a really streamlined way to plan/prep compliant meals? I've looked at apps...but every time I stray away from meal delivery, I end up spending way more time on planning/shopping/prep. Maybe the answer is to just stick with the delivery ;), but I'm curious what other successes you guys have had. I probably need to develop some new skills/habits with meal planning to break away from delivery and be free to explore other recipes and foods. 

Thank you!

@Michele B. unfortunately I don’t know much about delivery. I did do real plans. They come up with a meal plan and you can taylor how many servings and how many meals in the settings. You will have to go shopping though. 

I too am also interested in ideas for emergency snack if I am hungry at night and can’t sleep. I am thinking small amount of leftover protein and a fat like nuts, olives or avocado. I also may prep almond butter celery and if I don’t eat it I can always use the next day 

I'm not aware about the meal delivery service either.  How cool that Blue Apron is doing a Whole30 September option. Are they truthfully complaint?

Question for you all - families and spouses participating along too? 

I have my first "work lunch" being offered on Friday at an offsite meeting.  Not sure if I should bring a lunch or just see how it goes.  Any suggestions?  

@Michele B. Oh how lucky to subscribe to a meal plan that is Whole 30-ish! 

Here's my system for what it is worth.  I made a simple meal planner in the Pages word processing program, with "Breakfast, Lunch Dinner, Activities and Next Day Prep" as my column headings. My current week is below. 

I went through the Whole 30 cookbook and filled in about a week's worth of meals. I searched online for some recipes that sounded good to me, and asked my husband's input as well.

If the recipe goes over well, (about 50% of the time), I'll add it into the rotation a week or so later. So far I haven't run out of ideas, but only at this for 12 days (5 days with my husband). I must say I am getting a bit fatigued of spending time in the kitchen and washing dishes.

I use the Pilot Frixion erasable pens which I love as plans change so frequently!

I'm also logging my meals under the Mandy's Whole 30 Log in that forum section if you are interested.

IMG_7669.JPG

27 minutes ago, Efeiner said:

I'm not aware about the meal delivery service either.  How cool that Blue Apron is doing a Whole30 September option. Are they truthfully complaint?

Question for you all - families and spouses participating along too? 

I have my first "work lunch" being offered on Friday at an offsite meeting.  Not sure if I should bring a lunch or just see how it goes.  Any suggestions?  

In regards to the lunch I would see if you can find out what is there. Definitely bring lunch or snacks  just in case. If there is stuff there that is compliant great have some. If not then at least you have something. 

Archived