Starting August 20!

AdelaideNess

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mandy612  Thank you!  That was super nice for you to post that.  I'm impressed.  Not sure if I can stay that organized...

In regards to the questions above about meal delivery compliance - Sun Basket offers a lot of choices to select from each week.  So far I have been able to find recipes that are compliant.  They are NOT linked to Whole30 or advertised as being compliant.  I just have to select well.  A big drawback is not having leftovers and therefore spending lots of time in the kitchen. In regards to other options,  I haven't been able to get on board with the popular meal prep system on Sundays/once a week.  I look at some of those plans and think that I would rather not cook with ingredients later in the week (and therefore less than fresh) that I chopped on Sunday.  I guess we all have to find our balance. I'd like to be better organized and not reliant on a meal delivery service, but one step at a time! I will be interested to keep learning from you guys here. 

Ok I think I just achieved day 4-5 (kill all things) on day 2. I just snapped at my employer. Granted she was texting me for information after work and got upset that I wasn't understanding what she wanted. I called her and said sharply "Don't yell at me on the text. A lot can happen with you want what you want in 3 hours". I then said I am hanging up now and now that I understand I will get her the info. It has been a tough 2 weeks with her with misunderstandings, miscommunications, and mistakes...which of course are all my fault (some yes but not all). Anyway I need to put some admiration her way and find something to like about her and what I am doing. Tomorrow is a new day which I am sure I will get an ear full tomorrow. 

Today was good at the start even though I didn't sleep well. I had a lot of pain in my arms during the night which could be detox related or the fact that I am doing my PT now. I was sluggish and a little foggy during the day. Things became tougher after work. My energy really hit rock bottom and I wanted to nap. The sugar dragon which I have always called the negotiator was pretty loud on just wait until Sept 1, you might be going to see your niece put it off until after that. ect....ect... Now I really want some skittles and ice cream. 

B - home made turkey breakfast sausages, sautéed Kale with bacon, and left over sweet potato mash and tea

Sn - egg veggie muffins, raw carrots, celery, & jicama.

L  - left over breakfast and snack with an apple and some nuts

D - lettuce burger, leftover zucchini & yellow squash, and sweet potato chips (in the nuwave, not bad)

I am now going to get some chamomile tea and watch tv and then go to bed by 8

I hope all is well with the rest of you.

Great post @Elizabeth33! The Negotiator. I like that. I could relate to all you said except the perfect sounding meals. Mine just didn’t sound good. My shoulders even hurt PT and detox, plus I’m going to bed by 8:00. Prayers you can find a bone of kindness to toss at your boss tomorrow for your sake.

Love your posts. Keep em coming everybody! 

Even Now,

Be encouraged!

Dianne

I can relate to the sluggish feelings on day 2! I had an amazing spaghetti tonight - zucchini noodles from Trader Joe’s are an absolute great find!

I too sat down with some hot tea and watched a movie tonight. Kicked me feet up and even got a little back rub from my sig other. Take care of yourselves strong women! We can do anything we put our minds to :)

Anyone have Labor Day plans? Lots of meal prep!

Hi everyone!! 

Still here :) welcome to all those who have recently started. 

I’m about to start Day 10. It’s been a learning process for sure but I definitely feel like I’ve got the hang of it now. I’ve spent so much time meal prepping and cooking this past week. Hopefully I don’t get burnt out soon because it really has been a lot of work. I know I can do easier meals but for some reason I have decided to go above and beyond...   

I am currently avoiding social activities right now as I feel it’s too soon for me. I skipped dinner on Friday with my in-laws and husband since I felt it would be awkward not eating with everyone and let’s be honest the temptation would be too much to handle. 

I did end up eating 4 decent sized meals on Friday and only 2 on Saturday and Sunday...not sure if I’ve broken some Whole 30 rule by doing this but I’m going with the “listen to your body” advice. 

I do wish I would have added up all my expenses for this from the beginning. I’m rather curious to know how much eating like a king costs. I’ll start calculating it out moving forward. 

I hope to see some positive results soon. There isn’t a whole lot going on right now that makes me feel this is all worth it but I’ll stick with it. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

Marina 

@HoustonLiving  I feel your pain about the social thing. I went out with friends last night. The group consensus was to eat at a steakhouse. I researched the restaurant prior to leaving my house, knew what I could order, and carried ghee and salad dressing with me. I ordered steak, salad, and a plain sweet potato. Everything was fine except the potato. I ordered it plain, and they brought some sort of sweetened butter product on the side. But it did not taste plain. I confirmed with the waitress it was plain, but I didn't trust it. So I ended up leaving a good part of it on the plate. Very frustrating. I had done my homework, and of course bypassed the bread on the table, as well as fried shrimp being shared, and a birthday dessert that was brought to the table. That's a lot of bypassing!  I was good with it, except that I want to be able to get the food as I ordered it. Anyway, social situations are challenging, and restaurants are challenging. One step at a time!  

I've seen several comments about the challenge of adjusting to more prep/cooking/etc.  I'm not as organized as some folks on here with prep/planning, but I also adjusted many years ago to preparing all meals from scratch, as I have struggled with IBS and food sensitivities.  In the mornings I prepare a healthy breakfast for the kids and myself, as well as lunch for them to take to school. And then dinner later. It's a lot. It took time to work out the kinks and get things streamlined, and I'm still working on that (I have earlier posts asking for tips!). I learned what I could delegate and what was faster for me to do. My husband has complained (he would like no work and whatever kind of food - even fast food), but he sees the health benefits in our family and has compromised, as I have.  We constantly have to prompt the kids to help as well.  It is a lot more work, compared to take out, or convenience foods. But I promise, it does get easier over time as you find shortcuts. I will also add that when my work schedule is heavier, we make great use of our slow cooker.  That is a life saver!  I've also recently purchased an Instant Pot, and that has been great. But, you still need about an hour to put together a meal.  The slow cooker can be a quick "throw it in and go!"  I also find cooking enough for leftovers to be a huge time saver. So for those who are brand new to this level of food prep and this kind of cooking, I understand what a change it is, and it WILL get easier!!!

Have a great day all!

Ok I officially feel icky!! That's the nice word for how I feel. I know I am hungry but I am nauseas enough not to want to eat. I am sipping on hot bone broth right now and then moving to the bieler broth (basically veggie soup). If that sits well I will do some eggs. I was hoping to do a bunch of veggie prep with getting other starchy ones but not sure I have the energy to do that. I do have plenty of food. I wanted to make some beet hummus. We will see. Have a great day everyone

@Elizabeth33  You are powering through some stuff, woman!  Sometimes my energy lows are from mental drain and anxiety, rather than being physical. A 10 minute power nap, if I can swing it, will help, but I have found that meditation is a fantastic re-charger. I just wanted to mention this, just in case. Your fatigue could be physical, or a combination. But for what it's worth, I find that a mental break, even if just 5-10 minutes, can reset me, especially in the afternoon.  I use an app called Headspace, and there are lots of other apps as well.  

17 minutes ago, Michele B. said:

@Elizabeth33 Our posts overlapped :)  I was looking at your previous post.  I'm so sorry you don't feel well.  I hope you find something to settle your stomach.  

Thanks so much. Luckily I work later today. Or maybe not depending on how it goes :lol: I am glad that I was able to make my schedule lighter this week to help get through this part.  

Dear Beloved Whole30ers!

You, one and all are the very best. I find you all to be so totally genuine, authentic, encouraging even in hard times...so much more.

Just want to add that the whole of your various contributions always, never fails, to mean so much to me as an individual. I can always relate to one part or another. Am always encouraged and feel so much love for you all.

Day 5 and hanging tough. I’ve definitely seem to have lost a little weight. Don’t know if it’s just water weight or not. I’m counting it as a good side benefit though. No scale. 

Enjoy your days, friends!

Dianne

Hang in there ladies. I'm on a slow day 3... you all remember what day 3 was like? HANGOVER!  "This process lasts a day for some lucky folks, but for others it can last several. Relax, drink a lot of water, take it easy at the gym, and keep making good food choices. Now would also be a good time to recruit the sympathy and support of friends and family, because..." Kill all the things is tomorrow!

I had my first mean words come out of my mouth last night as my significant other sat down with a delicious looking peanut butter cup. I about kicked him out of the house! LOL - luckily he's understanding, stepped out of the room to finish the delicious treat, and even mouthwashed so i didn't have to smell the chocolate/peanut butter the rest of the night :) Little blessings, right?!

Iced tea tasted so clean and refreshing this morning after all of this rain. Stay strong lovely ladies (are there any men here - sorry if I'm excluding you! ;) )

Good morning!  Wow did I ever get in a bad mood yesterday. I don't know if it had anything to do with food or not...just a normal low spot. And the cravings kicked in big time!  That was truly illuminating.  My go to response for years has been to eat.  Or even better, bake cookies, feeling somehow justified in it because I'm making them from scratch rather than eating box cookies haha.  The ritual of baking cookies is quite the hook. But then follows guilt, bloat, and 100% certainty that food controls me. It truly does feel good to be making different choices.  And also what is great is not counting calories and logging food!  Whew.  What a huge time saver.  My clothes feel looser and I'm not logging every darn bite.  Weight loss isn't the goal, and it's not why I started the plan, but my overall improved health appears to include a bit of loss. 

Have a good day all!

27 minutes ago, Michele B. said:

Good morning!  Wow did I ever get in a bad mood yesterday. I don't know if it had anything to do with food or not...just a normal low spot. And the cravings kicked in big time!  That was truly illuminating.  My go to response for years has been to eat.  Or even better, bake cookies, feeling somehow justified in it because I'm making them from scratch rather than eating box cookies haha.  The ritual of baking cookies is quite the hook. But then follows guilt, bloat, and 100% certainty that food controls me. It truly does feel good to be making different choices.  And also what is great is not counting calories and logging food!  Whew.  What a huge time saver.  My clothes feel looser and I'm not logging every darn bite.  Weight loss isn't the goal, and it's not why I started the plan, but my overall improved health appears to include a bit of loss. 

Have a good day all!

Way to stay strong! It’s such a interesting feeling to work past those cravings! 

@Michele B.. Good morning ya’ll! Great morning devotional by @Michele B.!

Yes, it’s true, the rationalizing the whole bit. But food then remains our go to coping method and oh, the lies we believe!

Its great indeed not tracking food and feeling myself a bit lighter. My goals are to break some patterns, eliminate some culprits, and kick the inflammatory beast out the door screaming. VICTORY!

Thanks for your homemade devotional rather than cookies @Michele B.!

You too, be encouraged!

Dianne

Thanks for the feedback!  It was much needed.  It's been a challenging day.  A trip to Fresh Market and resisting former favorites, and some heavy duty fatigue this afternoon...the sugar/carb cravings are sky high!  Glad I have a safe place to come and chat :)  

I'm finding myself worrying about reintroductions. It's a ways off yet, and I have more reading to do, but so far this experience has shown me that, at least for now, I do better completely eliminating tempting foods. I'm worried about having a day to eat them again (one at a time - I have looked at the protocol) and setting off a binge.  Rationally, I think i will be ready for it then, and I'm learning so much as I go, but emotionally, it seems tricky. I really want to do the post-30 steps though, so that all of this isn't done without gathering the further info. 

It's almost the weekend!!!  This week is flying by.

Wow! I survived Day 12! This week has given me A LOT of opportunities to make excuses and eat something I shouldn’t. Thursday night I had just finished dinner when a storm kicked up and before I knew it, my power was out. My dinner dishes were still on the table. I took my plate to the sink and decided it was a sign, so I reported the outage then decided to go to bed early (9:30 is VERY early for me).

I woke up in the dark with a dead cell phone at 5 am and got ready to go to work. The power company estimated restoration by mid day, so I dared to open the fridge quickly and get some leftovers for my lunch. I sliced a grapefruit and decided to stop for hard boiled eggs and black coffee for breakfast. After I made it to our 8:15 staff meeting I realized I had left my lunch on the kitchen counter (40 miles away). I worked through lunch then stopped before my 4:30 appointment for something from the grocery store salad bar, but by the time I got through the line, I didn’t have time to eat. Picked up my son, got him a couple slices of pizza, came home. Power still out, so I fed the cats, grabbed my lunch bag and my kid, and decided to drive 100 miles to Ikea to get some things I need for my classroom. By that time we were in a crunch to get there before closing, so I just drove. And ate a large piece of baked chicken like it was a donut - picked it up whole and just took one bite at a time - no fork. I must’ve been quite a sight! Another black coffee on the drive home. Now after 19 hours on the go and about 300 miles on my car today, I’m about to go to bed. Tomorrow we clean and get ready for school on Tuesday. Sunday morning we drive to the beach to spend a couple of days with friends. Tomorrow I get to figure out what to take to make my time there easier.

I have been dieting off and on since I was 6 years old. (One diet I remember was the “You Can Do It Kids’ Diet” and they offered a fat camp for kids whose parents could afford it. Luckily mine couldn’t.) I have never been able to resist temptation like I am on this program. Our PTA president made a beautiful breakfast for us yesterday. I looked (just in case there was anything compliant), complimented and thanked her, and walked away. From bacon, sausage, grits, French toast, and cheesy scrambled eggs. Y’all, I’m a southern breakfast girl. Maybe it would’ve been harder to resist if there had been biscuits and gravy. But it was pretty easy. And today, instead of dwelling on the possibility of losing all the food in my freezer, I focused on finding the foods I needed to get through my day.

I am also feeling more relaxed than I have before about school starting next week. Maybe it’s because I’m returning to the same school after getting bounced around my first few years. Maybe it’s because I am off the sugar and processed crap. I can honestly say that i could foresee living my life mostly on this plan. Just need to mix up the breakfast, because eggs are getting hard to take.

I hope you are all doing well and that you sail through the weekend!

Andrea

Andrea!  What a day!  I can't believe all the challenges you faced and how you handled them. Kudos to you, my friend!

@Hope4Overcomers, I've been reading along about your setback/restart. Are you glad you restarted? That would have been my suggestion, but everyone is on their own path here.  You'll feel so great when you hit the 30 day mark!

@Michele B.  my first Whole30 turned into a Whole 105. I was concerned about reintroductions, and when time came, I just didn't want to do it because I was feeling so good. I think it's good to have a strategy around re-introduction, but if you're feeling good and aren't ready don't force it :)

It's been a busy week for me of getting used to being an empty nester. My son is thriving at college, so that make my life so much better!  In addition to that, my husband and I have had a commuter marriage for the last 6 years, and we just moved in together for the first time a few weeks ago. Lots of adjustments all around!

My husband has done several Whole 30's with me, and agreed to do this one, too. That lasted about half a day, so I'm going it alone. It's helpful that he is grilling/cooking compliant items, but other than that, I'm on my own! When we leave for the cruise next week I'll be on day 21, so the plan will be to keep it going. I'll give them my food restrictions on day 1 and hope they'll be able to meet my requests.

My goal for the weekend is to get a walk in everyday, and to start unpacking those boxes from the move.

To the U.S. folks, have a restful Labor Day Weekend!

Good morning my fellow troopers!! :rolleyes: @CCLaymon, I am on Day 7 and am definitely glad that I started over!! One of the best reasons for not  “cheating” is you don’t have to go backwards and start fresh! I’m still detoxing pretty strongly as I have been up all morning getting sick to my stomach, with a nasty headache. I’m so happy that I’m making progress even if detoxing is a challenge!

My boyfriend, who started over with me, is experiencing a pretty dramatic decrease in arthritis symptoms in his hands. My shoulder pain (torn rotator cuff) is much less prevalent. Hip Hip Hooray!! The beginning signs of progress! I’ll take it!

@CCLaymon aren’t you the role model, going through so many changes and tossing a cruise into the picture too. Hats off to you! Great job! So glad your son is doing well too!!!:D

Well, time to read my Day 7, of Whole30 Day By Day. That little book and the support here on the forum sustain me and grow me. I love it!

No special Labor Day Weekend plans for this girl. Overall, keep it simple, and keep moving onward and upward.

I simply treasure you all!

Till next time,

Dianne

@AndreaF  OH MY GOODNESS!  That is the day from you know where!  And also quite the opportunity to face the challenge and then feel great about it.  I hope you feel great about it!  You deserve it!  The thing that would be so hard for me would be waiting that long to eat. Your determination is very strong. What really strikes me too is how you are putting your priorities in line. That can be so hard.  Nice job!!!

@CCLaymon thank you for the encouragement about reintroduction.  It's very helpful!  I'm reading as fast as I can. You guys are helping me out a lot :)

@Hope4Overcomers Thank you for being so candid with us about your restart. It's very helpful, and I am so very glad you stayed with us!!!  You are a bright presence here. I'm also interested in the day by day book. I'm still working through the first book, but that sounds very helpful. Daily support is extremely helpful. Like coming here!  

I have wanted crackers, of all things.  Crackers?!?  Not ice cream, or brownies, haha!  But how illuminating and empowering to GET PAST IT.  The urge does pass.  

Yesterday I went on a hike with a friend, and what a hike it was!  This powerful woman is sure footed like a mountain goat and so, so fast.  Fastest walker I have ever encountered.  Ladies, my heart rate was staying at 162!  The first four miles was about 95% straight up.  Which would be fine at my pace, but I was sweating buckets in the 83 degree heat at her pace!  Well let me tell you, I have NEVER been so happy to eat a banana (and a little almond butter) when I got back to my car. That was the best banana - and water! - ever!  And great fuel for recovery. 

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

Archived