Wake up Groggy - every day.

Joe P

I've posted this elsewhere and have not gotten a response. I also noticed it posted a few other times in the past through a search, with no resolving answers...

So I fall asleep easily, sleep through the night for the most part, but I haven't felt refreshed upon waking a single time, and I am on my 22nd day.

I am eating according to the template and all that. I work out at least an hour per day, 5 or 5x a week, and do the pre and post meals as written. 

• Moderators

Sorry you weren't answered before.  If you're eating 3 template meals AND the pre and post workout meals including starches at at least one meal, maybe it's not food that's the problem?  Are you following good sleep hygiene practices? Here's an article (with a link to another article) written by a sleep expert for Whole30...see if anything stands out there?

https://whole30.com/2017/10/whole30-sleep-trouble/

Yeah we don't watch much TV most nights, I follow all of that stuff pretty much, with some wiggle room. It is impossible to be that exact, but my wife and I do a good job of setting things right for quality sleep. We haven't had electronics in our bedroom in over 2 years. we use an analog alarm clock.

I also won't take melatonin. I am HORRIBLE groggy the next day from that. I'll be honest  - I never trust an "expert" who also sells a supplement, ala Dave Asprey.

• Moderators

Okay good news that you're doing those good sleep hygiene things.  You could try putting your starch at the last meal of the day - some people find it helps them sleep.  I'm with you on melatonin too - nope nope nope.  However, magnesium (natural calm unsweetened is compliant) actually works quite well and due to modern farming practices, most of us are magnesium deficient anyway - magnesium is the same reason why they suggest a cool epsom salt bath as you can absorb magnesium transdermally.  Just make sure if you're doing the natural calm that you start small and work up - magnesium is also good for constipation as it helps draw water into the digestive tract... too much too soon and you end up with some digestive distress.

Archived