HELP!!! Birthday on Sunday (my Day 6 of W30). Going to see family....

fergie

I need help and encouragement! I started my first W30 1 Jan (yesterday). I know I can do 30 days... However, my birthday is Sunday, 6 January, and my parents have invited me over to show me an excellent ragu recipe for the Elk and Bison I have. We are doing a big cook-up and freezing portion sizes for later. My problem is that I am worried about the "Birthday" Bottle of Wine and possible tasty "nibblies" they will have for me.

They are very supportive of me, so if I say no thank you, it will not be a problem. My problem is, I have a hard time saying no on my "special occasions". This is huge that I am posting this and admitting I do not have the "willpower" I want. I already have negative thoughts creeping in like "it will be ok to start over on Monday" when I know this is just setting myself up for failure!

What do you do or have you done to help yourself? Should I let them know ahead of time? Any help would be great!

Fergie, congratulations on your progress so far. I think its wonderful that you came to the forum to talk about your issue with willpower. I know I've struggled in the past with that same issue, telling myself that having one little treat is not a big deal. I'm sure there are many others on the forum feel the same.

What I tell myself is this: having a "little treat" is a big deal. Having a tasty "nibble" often turns into more (at least for me) and I end up feeling awful physically and emotionally. So now what I do is pause. I think about what I am about to do and remind myself that if I eat [insert treat/nibble/trigger food here] I won't feel very well physically or emotionally. Usually that's enough for me. I want to make progress, I want to feed my body with foods that will make me feel good. Also, I would recommend that you get everything you need in your birthday meal. Have protein, veggies, fat, and maybe some sweet potato so that you are satiated.

Another thing that's important to keep in mind is this: you've made a 30 day commitment but you should take it one day at a time. I try not to think too far ahead and worry what day 4, day 10, or day 20 will bring. Just take it day by day. Good luck!

If your parents are supportive, I would definitely tell them your concerns about the wine and nibbles ahead of time. They would most likely respect that and eliminate any temptation for you. I've found that being upfront with folks about what my struggles are ends up bringing me more support and encouragement.

I agree with Liz. If your parents are supportive enough to support you doing Whole30, I would hope they'd be supportive enough to not offer you the nibbles at all if you ask them not to. Take it as a positive that you will still be enjoying the food-based activity of cooking together and focus on that.

Perhaps you can save any gifts like this for after you have finished - (freezer? for perishables?) if you tell them this they still feel appreciated for their thoughtfulness/generosity etc.... I did this but when I finished I didnt really want them anyway so gave them away - that was a real surprise for me

It's your birthday! There's no reason to bring fear and worry into it, seriously, otherwise you're going to fight your willpower and have guilty feelings and all this other stuff you don't need right now. You're doing a great job. Look forward to the wonderful meal they are making for you, and think through to how good you will feel after. Think positive and imagine the day you want...and then do it. Good luck!

Thank you everyone who has responded!!! I am going to talk with them tonight and ask that any "treats" or special occasion food/wine be saved until after I finish my W30. It will be fun to have a little treat the first weekend in February to celebrate no only my birthday, but also completing my first Whole 30!!!!

Y'all are wonderful and have giving me such support! I am back to beliving I can make it and looking forward to checking Sunday off as another victory day in my Whole 30!

I like to tackle each day at a time rather than focusing too much on what day # it is in my Whole30. You should congratulate yourself on making it this far and keep pursuing each day on its own! I know it can be hard, especially on celebratory occasions, to stay on track but committing beforehand and making sure your parents know might help remove the "willpower" component of the equation. It might also help to think about how much you'll enjoy the "forbidden" food if you eat it now versus once your Whole30 is over. Good luck, and you can do it!

Woo Hoo!!! I had a wonderful, quiet, relaxing day with my parents... They ate spaghetti squash with me but did put whipped cream on their bananas and strawberries. The cool part was that I didn't want any whipped cream at all!! Plus I took everyone's advice here and told them about my W30 challenge. So I felt even more responsible to myself to keep healthy. Definitely been the healthiest, calmest, most relaxing birthday I have had in years, if not ever!

Thank you all so much just for posting and helping me stay accountable to myself. I know there are many more challenges ahead, but I am going to revel in my small victory today....

Blue Skies to everyone!

Archived