Anyone Experience This?

thepeanut

I'm on Day 26 and feeling good.  However, something odd happened the other night, and I want to know if this is a common thing people experience when going out while on Whole30.

I have told everyone and their mother that I am on Whole30 because I want to be held accountable.  The first 20 days of Whole 30, I was a hermit.  I went to work with my prepared foods, came home and ate dinner, and I was happily on plan. 

I finally decided to break out of my hermit-ness and go to a restaurant with a bunch of friends for trivia including one who is also doing Whole30 with me.  I only got water because I had already eaten and nothing else was on plan, and my friend got sparkling water and lime.  The rest of the table had wings and sandwiches and nothing bothered me.  I left a few dollars as a tip for letting me sit there and left. 

This week I showed up, and my friend who hosts trivia said that the owner of the restaurant was really upset that we didn't order anything and that we better get something.

Even though I had eaten beforehand, I still ordered a salad with no dressing, and just dipped a  few leaves in plain yellow mustard and then gave her the rest to throw away.

Is this something other people struggle with?  I would like to stay social in some way but I don't want to be pressured into eating things in order to do so.  Any ideas?

• Administrators

Wow, that's not cool. I guess I would order club soda w/ lime just so that they had something to ring into the till. I mean............if you were monopolizing a table by yourself during peak time and not spending any money there, then sure...........but to be at a table with other people that are ordering food and beverages should be just fine.

My response would be something like "I'm sorry that the restaurant chose to focus on the two people who didn't eat vs the rest of the table who did. (Friend also on W30) and I are doing this elimination diet for our health and there is really nothing we can eat there. If they can't be respecting of 2 patrons' needs (out of how many, for pete's sake!), then maybe this isn't the right place to be having trivia nights. I also left a tip for the *water* I ordered."

I have to pester the living heck out of restaurants to make sure I can eat something. I made a mistake and didn't ask about a dressing the other day and spent the entire night wishing I was dead (hyperbole), I had such a severe reaction to what I'm guessing was soy. 

Restaurants/bars host trivia nights to get butts in seats on slow nights. That's why they're typically on like Wednesday. 

Archived