Being positive about meat quality from small farms

Casey Cassel

I’m getting ready to do my second whole 30 next month. The last time I did a whole 30 I lived in a city and did a whole bunch of label reading in grocery stores for my meat. This time around, I’m living in the country and have much more availability to local, farm fresh meats in my town! Yippee!

I’m feeling a bit unsure of what kinds of questions to asks the farmers about their meat to make sure it’s compliant. The most info I can get from their labels are “no preservatives, no antibiotics”. I’m unsure if I even need to worry about their meat, or if I do- what kinds of questions do I need to ask to make sure? 

Thanks! :P

• Moderators

If you're buying meat from a farmer, then there should be no labels... do some research as to what is most important to you in terms of quality meat (only grass fed, corn finished is okay for you, free range or just cage free etc) and then determine what your budget for meat is and have a talk with the purveyors of the meat.

All meat no matter how it is raised is compliant tho as long as nothing is added to it... the only time you're really going to find things added to farm fresh meat is if they make their own sausage or bacon or cured meats... if you're just buying pieces of the animal, then regardless of how it was raised, it's compliant for the program.

I was excited about the meat at the local market too. And I asked if it had been injected with anything (flavorings, marinades, vegetable broth, brine). Most people were really happy to answer and extremely proud of the purity of their product. 

I also really liked that the food was raised close to home by a person with a face. As a struggling wanna be vegetarian, that was important to me. Of course it has nothing to do with the program but - I would like to feel good about my good and how the animal was raised and how they die plays into that. 

Archived