Accidentally Eating Non-Compliant Food?

AkinDC

I'm on Day 10 of my 1st round and so far have been sticking to it pretty well, no complaints. Feel better overall. I've been able to navigate a few places out to eat for lunch if needed (I've always typically packed my lunch, but sometimes after day 4 of your meal prep you get bored, ya know?) like Chipotle and Five Guys. 

There's a latin place by the office that serves plaintain sandwiches, so I went to ask about what was in their meat and what oil they used (canola for everything) and they had to call the chef. Unfortunately, I don't think they wanted to disclose the entire recipe to me, but I asked specifically about any sugar, sauces, or soy sauce that might have been used, and the chef apparently said no to add, and they only used canola oil in that too.

I really feel bad now taking the risk, but I ordered the plantains with just the meat, no sauces or cheese or the coleslaw, and ate it. But now I'm still wondering if there might have been some sort of sauce that they didn't know had sugar in it?

Point is - I'm wondering if there are any symptoms I should be looking out for to know if I consumed anything not compliant after 10 days? Do I assume I did and start over? Or assume it didn't have anything as they suggested and keep going?

I should've eaten my stupid tuna salad.

• Moderators

You did your due diligence here. You asked the right questions, you ordered what you needed. Don't worry about it. If you have done everything that you reasonably can do to ensure you get compliant food, that is enough. You have no control over what the chef or any other staff do. If it had come out of the kitchen with cheese or corn or beans or something obvious, then yes, you'd send it back, but you cannot stand in the kitchen and make sure the chef doesn't do anything wrong.

Rather than looking for specific symptoms, just go on with your life. If there was something that was going to cause a reaction, you'll know it, and then you can figure out what you want to do at that point.

Just now, ShannonM816 said:

You did your due diligence here. You asked the right questions, you ordered what you needed. Don't worry about it. If you have done everything that you reasonably can do to ensure you get compliant food, that is enough. You have no control over what the chef or any other staff do. If it had come out of the kitchen with cheese or corn or beans or something obvious, then yes, you'd send it back, but you cannot stand in the kitchen and make sure the chef doesn't do anything wrong.

Rather than looking for specific symptoms, just go on with your life. If there was something that was going to cause a reaction, you'll know it, and then you can figure out what you want to do at that point.

Thanks! My inclination was just to move on and realize I did what I could to stay compliant and wasn't just willfully eating something I shouldn't. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AkinDC said:

Thanks! My inclination was just to move on and realize I did what I could to stay compliant and wasn't just willfully eating something I shouldn't. 

Exactly. If you had said, I ate a can of tuna that I bought and opened and had every opportunity to see the label beforehand, and then realized there was soy in it after I ate it, or if you'd said, I decided I deserved a piece of pizza -- those are totally different situations. As long as you have done everything you can, that is all you can do.  Don't stress about it.

Thanks again! I actually just emailed the place to get more info (in case I do want to eat there in the future) and what I ate was completely compliant :) They were super nice and knew the Whole30 diet so that was awesome.

(In case anyone is in DC....Arepa Zone is compliant ;) )

Archived