Struggling to Make Mayo

I now have tried three or four different ways of making homemade mayonnaise, and every time something has gone horribly wrong. The first time, my egg yolks boiled or something, the second time it wouldn’t mix, and the third time it just tasted terrible (like thick, salty oil). I’ve changed recipes every time but I just don’t know what is a good recipe at this point or what I’m doing wrong. 

I have an immersion blender and I have all the basic ingredients for like 45 different types of mayo, but I have yet to make a classic mayonnaise.

Please help with recipes or suggestions. I am losing my mind. (It’s also day 4 so I’m a smidgeon emotional over this). 

• Moderators

This is the recipe/instructions I use:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/  I usually do lemon juice, and I usually add mustard powder, but the basic instructions she has will work even if you use lime juice or vinegar, and whether you put mustard powder, prepared mustard, or no mustard at all.

The one that tasted like thick, salty oil -- were you using a light-tasting oil? Like a light-tasting olive oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, or high-oleic sunflower or safflower oil? Don't use extra virgin olive oil for mayo, it'll be gross, the flavor of the oil is just too strong.

Well that recipe looks fairly similar to all the other ones I’ve tried, buuut I’ll try it too. Why not. 

I’ve made one recipe using refined coconut oil (which it called for) but I also made one with extra virgin olive oil because I guess I didn’t know that there are different strengths of olive oil???

I will have to run to the store to get a different oil and mustard powder but I will let you know how it works out. 

5 hours ago, kaydeebakes said:

Well that recipe looks fairly similar to all the other ones I’ve tried, buuut I’ll try it too. Why not. 

I’ve made one recipe using refined coconut oil (which it called for) but I also made one with extra virgin olive oil because I guess I didn’t know that there are different strengths of olive oil???

I will have to run to the store to get a different oil and mustard powder but I will let you know how it works out. 

You definitely want Light Tasting Olive Oil - the bottle should say just that!

Alright ladies- here’s what I learned:

1. I’ve been using my immersion blender incorrectly. Now I’m double excited to use this tool!

2. Light tasting olive oil is an actual thing AND it’s amazing. 

3. This forum is awesome. I’m so glad I wrote in. Everyone has been super supportive and helpful which is great because...

4. I CAN MAKE HOMEMADE MAYO AND IT’S DELICIOUS. 

I’m so excited. Thank you all so much for your help!!!

16 hours ago, kaydeebakes said:

Alright ladies- here’s what I learned:

1. I’ve been using my immersion blender incorrectly. Now I’m double excited to use this tool!

2. Light tasting olive oil is an actual thing AND it’s amazing. 

3. This forum is awesome. I’m so glad I wrote in. Everyone has been super supportive and helpful which is great because...

4. I CAN MAKE HOMEMADE MAYO AND IT’S DELICIOUS. 

I’m so excited. Thank you all so much for your help!!!

Homemade mayo is a game changer!! Even when I'm not officially whole30ing I make my own...so versatile and delicious :-) Congrats!

• 1 month later...

Archived