I'm Freakin' Tired

Day six. Really getting tired, especially toward the end of the day. Had dinner last night and then just crawled into bed at 7:30 or so. 

I'm eating three meals a day. I'm eating protein, veggies, fruits, good fats. What gives? 

thanks, ok. yesterday...

1. 1 avocado, boiled egg, 2 cups of coffee

2. 2-3 oz boneless skinless chicken, 1/4 cup sautéed kale, 1/2 cup fresh mango, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup almonds

3. 6-8 oz sashimi - mmm riceless rolls! 

today so far...

1. 2 boiled eggs, 2 cups coffee

2. ~6 oz cashew chicken, 1/2 cup spinach, 1 nectarine

3. 2 scrambled eggs w/ oyster mushrooms & spinach, 1/3 cup blueberries (ok that's a big snack but i was hungry and tired)

4. i'm making baby bok choy and chicken later. 

edit: everything i cook, i'm cooking with olive oil. :) 

• Moderators

When eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. (Like this: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/) So probably 3-4.

Have 1-3 cups of vegetables at every meal. Even breakfast. Fruit is extra, you don't ever have to have it, but you need 1-3 cups of vegetables, three times a day.

How does 2-3 oz of boneless skinless chicken compare to the palm of your hand? You want to have 1-2 portions of protein the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand. I'm not sure how big 2-3 oz of chicken is, but you might need more. It is okay to eat more. 

Add a serving or two of fat to each meal, in addition to whatever oil you cook in. Pick one or two options from what's listed on the meal template. (You can download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)

You don't have any kind of starchy vegetables listed. Most people find they feel best with a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable, once a day. These would include sweet potato, potato, root vegetables (turnips, beets, rutabagas, parsnips, carrots), winter squashes (like butternut or acorn squash), or plantains. 

While you're figuring out how much to eat, if you are hungry between meals, it is fine to eat, but try to have a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. 

I'm so exhausted and on Day 15. I have always been healthy and active, and I wanted to do this for energy! ( I have a twin 2 year olds and a 4 year old-- I. Need. More . Energy.)

I have been reading all the forums where people say this-- so I want to preface this by saying that I am following the meal template as close as possible, eating 3-4 eggs, making sure to get fat, eating a few servings of starchy vegetables, drinking water, salting my food, etc. I bought It Starts With Food, and Whole 30 Day by Day, so I really do feel like I am eating to the absolute best of my abilities the meal template. 

I feel like things are going reverse for me. I wake up groggy-- stay groggy. Make it to my kids naptime. Nap with them and just not want to move the rest of the day. Then at like 9, I get a burst of energy and I have to meditate to go to sleep by 9:30-10 ( to get my 8-9 hours of sleep!) I am sleeping fine, I have never had problems with sleep. Before whole30 I would have a hard time waking up but then feel fine till like 5-- slump and be tired at a normal time. 

I can tell clothes are loser, but honestly I wanted the NSV. What gives? Am I doing this wrong? Will it get better? I keep waking up everyday hoping I'll at least return to normal energy, but nothing. So bummed out!

@laura_juggles Ok! This is yesterday : 2 eggs, handful of chicken sausage, half and avacodo, about a 1/2 cup of sweet potato, mixed greens w/ olive oil + lemon juice to fill the rest of the plate.

Chicken kabob( about 1 1/2 palm size) fist size of red potatoes, about one and a half cups of roasted veggies. A large spoonful of cashew butter.

Zoodles w/ homemade compliant basil pesto( lots of olive oil for my fat), shrimp, and the rest of the roasted veggies mixed in.

Day before

3 eggs with guacamole and a handful of strawberries + 1 cup of sweet potato hash 

Same as last , chicken kabons etc.

"Fajitas" -- chicken and veggies w/ spices cooked together to fill my whole plate w/ cilantro lime cauliflower rice+ 2 big spoonfuls of gauacmole.

• Administrators

If you are having a burst of energy at night, that's a good signal that your hormones are out of whack. What time do you get up vs what time are you eating? When you workout, do you eat pre and post workout foods? Are you nursing the smaller kids still by any chance? Do you have any underlying health conditions? Could you be pregnant again?

Hi! The first of energy at night worried me too-- especially because I had pretty normal energy cycle until the whole 30 ( burst of energy @ night started day 10) I wake up around 6:30 and start making breakfast immediately after. So maybe 7, I eat. I have started eating pre and post work out on the whole30 but I didn't before. I am not nursing any one. I feel like there is a slim chance I am pregnant. I lost a baby over the summer and haven't really got my cycle back yet. But, I did think that as well, so I took a test :) It was negative! I have always been pretty healthy-- the only problem I have had was this miscarriage.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, ShannonM816 said:

When eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. (Like this: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/) So probably 3-4.

I can hold three eggs precariously. It was kind of hard to eat while balancing the eggs - I dropped a couple at first, but I think I've got the hang of it. </jk>

I've upped the protein and am feeling considerably better. Thank you, @ShannonM816Working on getting more veggies, three cups seems like a lot of anything. (Now, if the veggies were made of cheese and beer, I'd probably have no problem. #psychologicallyunhealthy #21daystogo)

@ladyshanny is there anything you can tell me to help? I'm on day 18 and never felt worse in my life. I was a happy, healthy 27 year old 125lb, 5'2" before this. I just wanted more energy with my toddlers and now I'm so useless. I'm trying so hard to do everything right and this program has failed me. I'm.googling medical conditions whole 30 can CAUSE. This is the exact opposite of what I wanted and a huge waste of money. 

I feel like the moderators are just supposed to show the famous tough love, but no one is encouraging or comforting or giving me any hope that this is normal. My lifestyle wasn't terrible before. I ran marathons and had tried Paleo before. On Sunday I couldn't get through 3 miles and burst out crying because how how and messed up my body is since starting whole30. I've never quit anything in my life but if someone doesn't respond soon I'm so over this. 

• Moderators

@Cmclean part of the problem is that what you're experiencing isn't typical. I've looked through your posts, and your meals look okay, you look like you're doing everything right. Maybe you could add more fat but you are having some at each meal and I'm not sure how much difference it would make. I am truly sorry you are having a hard time, but I'm not sure what to tell you to fix it. It might be worth checking in with your doctor to ensure there's not any underlying stuff going on -- maybe hormonal, maybe a vitamin deficiency, maybe something else. 

I do hope you find some kind of relief. Eating protein, fat, and vegetables shouldn't cause this kind of exhaustion. If you think that adding back in non-Whole30 foods will make a difference, I don't think anyone would blame you for trying that. 

Archived