Ideas for acid/tomato free meals

piano88

Hello! Just after starting on Whole 30, I've found out that I may have interstitial cysticis, an inflammation of the bladder. The doctor wants me to cut out tomatoes, vinigar, citrus and spices like chili powder to see if that helps. I am already excluding night shades (peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, tomotillos) and eggs. So my whole 30 just got even more restricted. I am on day 7, and at a loss for what else to make that isn't exactly what I ate last week-lots of herb roasted chicken. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Does anyone have ideas for dressing salads without vinagrettes, other then some olive oil? 

• Moderators

Can you have avocado? Mashed avocado mixed into your salad is not exactly dressing, but it is good. It's also a sub for mayo in a chicken or tuna salad. 

Olive oil and herbs is an okay way to dress a salad, or if your budget allows for it, because sometimes they're expensive, for a change you could try other oils for slightly different flavors -- some macadamia nut oil or pecan oil. However, even with a couple of different oils to play with, I'm sure that'll get boring, so maybe focus on more non-salad vegetables that don't need a dressing. Do some stir fries or roasted vegetables. Baked sweet potatoes. If you go into an office to work and take lunch with you, you could chop vegetables up, season them, add a bit of oil, and then steam them in the microwave at work. 

Is there a reason you're not having beef or pork or turkey or fish/shellfish? Those would give you some options that are not herb-roasted chicken.  

I'm not avoiding other meats at all. I just don't have many interesting ideas for them.

I am avoiding eggs due to a suspected sensitivity and night shades because many people who have inflammation caused by my particular health problems can't have them. Those are the first things I'll reintroduce so I know for sure if they affect me.

Mashed avocado is a good idea. Thank you for all your suggestions!

I have always relied on vinigars, lemon, and spices like paprika, chili powder, etc. to add punches of flavor to healthy meals, and now that I have to eliminate them, I am at a loss for flavoring agents to substitute. I can't use mustard either. That's basically my whole list of go to ingredients for throwing together a meal. 

It is hard to find a whole 30 recipe that doesn't depend on the above items for flavor. Now I am feeling really thankful that I got the ebooks from my library, rather then buying all the cookbooks.

• Moderators

I don't know if it would work for you, but could you use lemon or lime zest or peel to get that bit of citrus punch? If you can, you can buy dried lemon zest or lemon peel in the spice section (or if you can't find it, Penzey's is a really good source for spices: https://www.penzeys.com/). I have also had lemon-infused olive oil before that gave a nice lemony flavor, I just happened to find it at my grocery store one day but you can probably order online if you can't find it locally. (And if you can't have garlic, look for garlic infused oil too.)

Lemongrass is a lemony-flavored herb that isn't actually related to lemons. You may be able to find it fresh in the produce department, but you can also find it dried in with the spices.

I think this gravy recipe might work for you (though you may have to make your own chicken broth to make sure it meets all your restrictions, or I'm sure you could sub some other kind of broth if you have one that works for you): https://nomnompaleo.com/post/1634346420/easy-paleo-herb-gravy-recipe  (You can have garlic and onion, right? I know people avoiding FODMAPS avoid them, but I don't think they're nightshades.) It would at least help dress up whatever meat you do cook.  The Basil & Walnut pesto here might work: http://meljoulwan.com/2009/08/05/presto-pesto/

I think this recipe would work for you: https://unboundwellness.com/easy-beef-and-broccoli/

You could maybe do some ground beef (or turkey, or pork) seasoned with salt and pepper and garlic and onions. It doesn't sound terribly exciting, but stuff a serving of that in a baked sweet potato with some olive oil or ghee, and a side of some other vegetable, and it's a meal. Can you have bacon? Because that will for sure add some flavor to anything -- you don't necessarily want to have it at every meal, but occasionally. Mix chopped bacon and avocado into a salad instead of dressing.

Archived