Discouraged By Starting Over

This is my first time trying Whole30 and I've been so excited with the process. (I made homemade mayo like 2 days ago for the first time and I'm so proud of myself!) I haven't seen any progress outside of making healthier food decisions, but honestly that's been enough for me. I bought the Whole30 Day by Day and have been journaling too. Which is great!

Today with lunch I decided to have some genmaicha tea. I was halfway through my cup when I realized that genmaicha is made with RICE. I'm so upset. It was an honest accident but I know based on the rules I have to go back and restart. But now I'm sad about the whole thing. I guess it was a choice to drink the tea, but it wasn't really a conscious one. And I'm not looking to wheedle or whine my way into looking past this- I know I need to restart. And part of me is even more upset because I didn't even cheat on something worth cheating on- like the free dessert bar at the potluck I went to, or the free cake at work, or the free pizza (literally this first week has been a TRIAL).

I'm so discouraged to be at Week 1, Day 1 again when I was supposed to start on Week 2! And over something so small and stupid.

• Moderators

If it helps, many people think of it as extending, rather than restarting. So if you're on day 7, now you're doing a whole37.  The end result is the same, 30 straight days of compliant foods, but you're acknowledging that you accomplished that first week, rather than feeling like it didn't count. (And it does count, in the sense that you made excellent choices for seven days that are contributing to improving your health.)

Archived