John F. Martin Pepper Bacon

Kiki373

Are the ingredients in this bacon allowed in the whole 30 program? I wasn't sure about the sodium additives. Thank you!

INGREDIENTS: 

Rubbed with Black Pepper.

Water, Salt, ,Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythrobate, Sodium Nitirite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, SaraEC said:

ShannonM816, why are these ones ok?

It's okay because those particular additives aren't against Whole30 rules. You can find bacon that doesn't have them, but for Whole30 purposes they're okay. 

There's a Common Additive Cheat Sheet and Sneaky Sugars list here that can be helpful when determining what's okay and what isn't: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ and if you google Whole30 + whatever ingredient you're wondering about, there's probably been past discussions about them.

20 hours ago, SaraEC said:

ShannonM816, why are these ones ok?

Thanks. I already have the cheat sheet, and this one is not listed. There are so many variations; they all sound similar and yet some are ok, some not. That's why I asked, and I like to understand the why behind it, not just blindly follow. It helps build up my confidence in the changes I'm making. 

• Moderators

We can't possibly list all additives so the cheat sheets are the most common ones.  The why behind why some are allowed and not allowed would be due to their inflammatory effects on the body - if you're interested in the science behind the program, the book It Starts With Food is where you want to go.  It explains exactly why the food groups are on or off the program and also goes into the why behind recommendations such as 'eat within an hour of waking'.  It's a very easy and approachable read and I think you'll find a lot of the information you're looking for well presented.

Archived