Bonus meal timing

Ajmomof4

I don't have enough time in the morning to eat a post work out and breakfast. I'm also a teacher and mom so I can't really choose when I eat throughout the day. If Meal 1 is after my workout, can I move my bonus mini meal to another spot in the day?

• Moderators

You can do that, but how it's going to work for you is going to depend on what your workout is like. If you're doing something like crossfit or weight training or HIIT or something very strenuous, you might find that you really need the post-wo within the 15 minutes or so after your workout and that breakfast just doesn't quite work the same as far as helping your recovery. If your workout is not as strenuous, you may be fine. Here's an article that explains a little more about what your post-wo food is meant to do:   http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/.  It is something you can play with and figure out what works best for you. If you do find you really need the post-wo, remember that it isn't a full meal, it's a few bites of protein, and maybe a few bites of starchy vegetable. It doesn't have to take you long to eat it -- some people work out, eat the post-wo food, shower and get ready for work, and then eat breakfast. 

Hi! My favorite post-workout meal is a few chunks of chicken breast and a few chunks of sweet potato cooked up in spices. I often have them in a baggie in my car and quite literally eat them on the road home. I don't feel like I ever really have to make extra time for my pre- and post-workout. 

To make things even easier, I buy pre-cooked chicken breast from my local Costco (they have a brand called True Story that sells packages of chicken breast chunks cooked with pepper). 

Archived