Lobster and ghee butter

Bootsie1947

Good morning— so for first time I had fresh lobster with lemon and drawn butter. I was amazed by all the richness of this food that I had no stomach pain. So happy for that but was up on the scales a bit this am. I know— no scales— but I’ve finished whole 30 and have been maintaining for several months and I do weigh after new foods are introduced. I’m not stressed by this but the extra benefit of whole 30 has been the weight loss— 37 lbs since feb. my heart doctor is over the moon and all my blood work say I’m perfect— even eating butter.  I know lobster is ok to eat, but I had two and only a fruit bowl  for dessert.  Is eating a lot of ghee not good for me? Can it cause weight gain? 

• Moderators

Eating too much of anything can cause you to be less healthy, which can result in weight gain. 

Eating more salt than usual can cause water retention, which can show up on the scale as weight gain, though it's not an indication that you've actually gained fat. I'd wonder if perhaps this was what was happening in this case. 

I know you've posted several times on the forum, so you've probably heard this before, but I would just ask you to try to refocus just a little bit. Everything we hear in society, and even from doctors, is "Lose weight, and then once you're a healthy weight, you'll be healthy." (And just as an aside, there are skinny people out there who have heart issues or high cholesterol or are otherwise unhealthy, so we know absolutely weight is not always an accurate way to measure health.) Whole30 twists this way of thinking just a little bit, and says "Do things that make you healthy, and once you're healthy, your weight will get to where it needs to be." So, to be healthy, you need some healthy fats in your meals. You need lots of vegetables. You need healthy amounts of protein. In each of these things, you need some variety so you get a mix of the different vitamins and minerals that different foods contain. In addition to food, you need healthy movement, good sleep, and stress management. If you focus on improving these things, your health will improve, and your weight will get to where it needs to be. (Where your weight needs to be and what you think you ought to weigh may end up being two different things, but that is a different topic.) 

Here's a couple of articles about Whole30 and weight loss that you might want to read: https://whole30.com/2012/10/the-whole30-and-weight-loss/https://whole30.com/2017/09/whole30-weight-loss-hacks/ 

Thank you Shannon for reminding me about salt etc.  I do believe that is the issue as whenever I eat out, I find that out.  Also,

you are right about what the doctors think I should weigh etc.  I'll never been at my wedding weight.  Had three children since then.

I do love this program and have recommended it to 4 people of which two have done it successfully; other two gave up.

BTW how does one become a coach for this program?  I love sharing how successful I have been.

• Moderators

Whole30 coaches go through a certification process that includes a multiple choice and essay tests to ensure you understand the program, and some other steps including an interview with Whole30 personnel. There is a fee, and there are required continuing education requirements to maintain the certification. You can read more about the coaching program here: https://coach.whole30.com/. It's great that a couple of the people you've recommended Whole30 to have followed through with it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 7:02 AM, ShannonM816 said:

"Do things that make you healthy, and once you're healthy, your weight will get to where it needs to be."

YES!  All of this.  My holistic health practitioner, when answering my incessant gripes about needing to lose weight, told me to focus on my health, and the healthy weight will follow (i.e., a body riddled with inflammation and under constant stress cannot healthily slim down/burn fat).  This what appeals to me so much with whole30: the idea of changing patterns and habits, and feeding yourself what you NEED, physically.

Archived