Breakfast help

Ame63

I am trying to figure out what would be best for breakfast. I cannot eat eggs. I have also discovered that it’s not that I don’t like breakfast meat, it’s that I can’t get myself to eat meat early in the day! Even the thought of it makes me nauseous and want to gag. I cannot seem to get it down. Am I better off eating something else like fruit and nuts or celery and almond butter or just plain sweet potato or nothing at all? Please advise!  Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

You should eat something within an hour of waking up. Ideally, this would be a template-based meal with protein, veggies, and fat, and you should keep working on trying to do that. However, if you cannot do that right now, it's fine to eat what you can eat. I would not go with fruit, it's basically a hit of sugar first thing in the morning (even if it's naturally occurring sugar, it can still affect your blood sugar levels, especially after fasting for 8-10 hours since supper the night before).

Maybe start with sweet potato or potato or other root vegetables, you could bake them or roast them or shred or dice them and cook them like hashbrowns. Or even make some soup if that sounds good, I love a good butternut squash soup for breakfast when I'm wanting something hot and comforting.  Try adding some meat a little at a time. Have some ground turkey or shredded chicken or something that doesn't have a very strong flavor already cooked, and add a spoonful or two to your vegetables one day. If that seems okay, do that for a couple of days, and then add a little more. If you just add a little more every 2-3 days, you'll be up to a full serving pretty quickly. And then you could branch out and throw in some different vegetables every now and then. It's something you're probably going to have to work at, it's not going to just happen, but do try most mornings.

If you wonder why we push the breakfast thing so hard, these articles explain a little bit:  https://www.thepaleomom.com/is-breakfast-really-most-important-meal/ and https://www.thepaleomom.com/breakfast-important-meal-day-new-science-answers/  

• Moderators

This is actually a really common question and there are tons of discussions on our forums about breakfast.  The thing about wanting to gag or being nauseated when eating savory foods for breakfast is due to hormones being unbalanced.  The only way to get those hormones balanced is by eating a template breakfast every day.  Make a plate, eat as much as you can from evenly around the plate and then pack it up and take it with you to eat from again as soon as you feel you can keep it down.  Subbing nuts, nut butters or fruit is not going to get you were you want to go and not eating is definitely not going to get you there.

Try googling 'whole30 nauseous at breakfast' and other similar search terms and you'll find tons of conversation and tips.

Here's a good article about the issue as well https://whole30.com/2017/05/i-hate-breakfast/

Thanks! I was able to eat some chicken and sweet potato this morning. Didn’t eat it quite within nine hour of getting up bc of different work schedule but got it in pretty quickly. Will keep trying to eat something. Thanks again

Archived