DVeep's W30 v2: Jan 2013

DVeep

Oops, I guess I posted my intro in the log topics - my bad. :-p

I completed my first Whole30 in September, and was really glad I did. Had no problem with sugar cravings at Halloween. Thanksgiving was another story. The slide began with two pieces of GF pumpkin cheesecake, then a little of this and a little of that. Cans of butter cookies at work called to me (in fact there is one there now). I had been eating GF for 2 years, and then Paleo since January 2012, and rarely ate grains, but as December saw more of those "rare" moments, I knew it was imperative to get back on track to a healthier me.

Tired of feeling tired all over again, and battling poor digestion, I started my second W30 yesterday, Jan 1, 2013. I ordered my W30 Daily emails. My husband's "crutch" food got moved to the bottom shelf in the pantry so I can't see it, and at my request, (he knows better than to try to police me - I must do that myself) he removed the dark chocolate bars from my cupboard, and trashed the most excellent left-over naan from "Nicholas" a delicious and affordable Lebanese restaurant in Portland, OR.

This journey would be easier with some local support and the opportunity for some paleo potlucks. Alas, I can't interest any of my friends to join me. Last September, my husband did the W30 with me, but not this time. Yesterday was good. However today, although I took enough food to work with me, I made the mistake of not eating it at regular intervals. By the time I got home I started inhaling everything in sight and didn't stop until 10pm. All was W30 approved, and sufficient protein, but by not front-loading my food intake today, I definitely allowed my blood sugar to drop, resulting in consuming way too much food tonight. Ugh. Well, here's hoping for a smarter and brighter tomorrow. Time to hit the sack. Oh, and thanks for listening! -diana

Hi Diana, Welcome back. I've just started my 2nd W30 as well. I'm like you, I find if I don't eat enough throughout the day, even if I don't feel like it, I could cheerfully spend the evening munching away so that's one of the things I'm really concentrating on this time. Keep us posted how you get on.

• 1 month later...

Today is February 9, 2013. I started my Whole30 on January 1. On day 14, my stove died. For 1 day I had nothing to cook or heat my food in. The next day I bought a small burner for $15. The next week a friend loaned me her electric skillet. Last week the large portable burner I purchased off Amazon arrived, thankfully! Needless to say, not having a stove or oven (we love roasted veggies - waaaa) put a huge burden on our eating routine and I found myself depressed and eating too much. Still OK foods, just too many nuts. So I bailed on Jan 14. I also wanted to do the AIP, but it was too much to tackle without a stove!

I am happy to report that while I generally just eat too much, I have not gone overboard with my food choices. I remain mostly faithful to the W30. In fact, I just feel guilty at restaurants ordering without asking, because most places use either the bad oils or wheat or dairy.

When my cooking situation is stable, I'm going to re-start my W30 and hope for better compliance!

I should add that I am functioning on a crockpot, two portable electric burners, a toaster oven, and a borrow electric SS skillet. So life is not horrible now. :-p

Archived