Almond meal 'oatmeal'

jodea

A good few people seem to do this sort of thing. I would like to see a moderators response to this but I think it might fall into the technically compliant but not in the spirit of the whole30 where you are trying to break dependence on old style breakfasts as a different meal rather than just one of 3 or 4 meals a day that can all be the same. I used to be a grain porrige lover but now I have soups with cooked meat added or chicken curries or mince dishes mainly plus the occasional salad, eggs, steak and veg etc.

Previously I've mixed together almond meal, coconut milk, coconut flakes and berries to make a kind of breakfast oatmeal. Is this Whole 30 compliant?

Hi, I'm afraid this is not compliant so is best saved for after a W30. The W30 guidlines are that all meals contain a piece of protein 1 to 2 palm sizes, a thumbful of good fats and fill your plate with veggies. You can see how the breakfast you mention doesn't comply with that. Following the W30 not only provides us with really good nutritious food but also helps retrain our whole relationship with food, so trying to paleofy foods we've eaten previously doesn't work. If you read the book it really explains all this in detail and the science and reasonings behind it. good luck

• Moderators

Kirsteen and Juzbo are right. Anything that mimics our old food with compliant ingredients is a slippery slope to maintaining our same old relationship with food. The Whole30 is a better way that calls for better meals.

Great stuff jodea. I sooo thought I would miss my old breakfasts but in the ten days between my whole35 and starting my whole100 I didnt once have a non whole30 breakfast or bother to test reintroduction of grains. I even tipped my containers of quinoa and millet onto the vege garden - expensive compost but I just dont need/want this food back into my diet even after my whole100 finishes. It took less than a week for me to change my breakfast 'tastes' and now I feel like I have so many choices of what to eat I will never be bored with breakfast again!

Archived