Blair's Log

Blair W

Day 1

Coffee: 1 cup black

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with onion and cilantro

Meal 2: 1 egg scrambled with onion and cilantro, with a banana

Snack: 6 baby carrots

Meal 3: 4 oz New York Steak with shallot/garlic topping, 1/3 potato with clarified butter and salt, baked asparagus w/garlic

Water: 100 oz

Insights: Day one was harder than I anticipated only because the meal planning/shopping took longer than expected so I didn't finish until 2:30 and was starving at that point so I was stressed about trying to find something quick and easy. The water intake was easier than I thought it would be: I am chronically dehydrated because I hate water and usually only drink about 16 oz a day but for some reason, I was thirsty today so it wasn't too bad. I had my coffee black for the first time so that was interesting, turns out, I don't really like coffee haha.

Goals: My starting weight is 210 pounds so I would love to lose some weight, but more importantly, I would love to lower my blood pressure. I have quadrupled my dosage over the past 4 years so I would love to get to a point of lowering it to my starting dose (or eliminating it all together but I don't know if that is possible). I would also like to have more energy, I feel so sluggish lately. I get heartburn every night so if eating healthier fixes that it would definitely be a happy side effect

Fears: Meal planning is harder than I expected. My whole life, I have always had cereal for breakfast and instant lunches so the only meal I ever had to plan was dinner. Even that was often not done which is why we would eat out way too much. Also, I am surprised at how much I am struggling with removing dairy. I thought desserts and pastas/bread would be my biggest craving/hardship but so far, that was easy. I just want some darn CHEEEEEEEEEESE.  

Day 2:

1 Cup green tea

Meal 1: 1 egg w/salsa and 1/2 sausage link

Meal 2: 1 egg w/salsa and 1/2 sausage link and 1/3 potato with clarified butter

Meal 3: Mexican tuna wrapped in lettuce with side of raw baby carrots

Snacks: handful of pistachios, handful of apple chips, handful of raw baby carrots

Insights: I still can't believe how difficult giving up dairy has been, and how easy giving up sugar has been. I would have thought my sugar cravings would be the hardest part of all this, but so far, that has been the easiest thing to deal. Meal planning and missing cheese have been my hardest challenges so far. 

NSV: Since I started this, I have not had heartburn (which I used to get 1-2 times a day)

• Moderators

Hi, Blair. You might want to check out the meal template -- you can download it here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. You'll feel a lot better later in your Whole30 if you work to make your meals look like the template. Specifically, unless you're eating more than a cup of salsa at a time, you're probably a bit short on vegetables in today's meal one. And don't be afraid to add fat to your meals either, it'll help keep you full between meals so you won't need to snack.

The meal template is just a recommendation, and you are free to ignore this suggestion, I'm not going to come police your log or anything, but I do want you to have the best experience you possibly can, and in general, following the meal template makes for the best experience for most people.

Best of luck to you, and if you have any questions, you can either tag me here (type @, then my user name with no space), or you can start a new discussion in the Troubleshooting portion of the forum (here: https://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/). If you don't specifically tag me, I won't post anymore in your log here, it is for you to post freely in about your Whole30 experience.

Day 3

Meal 1: 1 scrambled egg with salsa and 1/2 sausage link

Meal 2: two rotisserie chicken legs and a few pieces of watermelon

Snack: banana

Meal 3: Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili

Insights: Today was very hard because I felt incredibly nauseous all day. It was extremely challenging to gag down breakfast when every bite made me more nauseous. Lunch and dinner both made me feel better when I ate them. I think my body is having a hard time re-regulating which is causing the nausea (I definitely don't think I am sick). I also experienced a LOT of fatigue today, but I just gave myself the freedom to take it easy and that helped. I am optimistic that I will feel better as my body adjusts to my new way of eating. I am also having a hard time eating enough vegetables, so I need to work on some meal plans that will incorporate more veggies.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:59 AM, ShannonM816 said:

Hi, Blair. You might want to check out the meal template -- you can download it here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. You'll feel a lot better later in your Whole30 if you work to make your meals look like the template. Specifically, unless you're eating more than a cup of salsa at a time, you're probably a bit short on vegetables in today's meal one. And don't be afraid to add fat to your meals either, it'll help keep you full between meals so you won't need to snack.

The meal template is just a recommendation, and you are free to ignore this suggestion, I'm not going to come police your log or anything, but I do want you to have the best experience you possibly can, and in general, following the meal template makes for the best experience for most people.

Hi Blair! Just wanted to echo what @ShannonM816 mentioned about the Template. It was so helpful for me! Her advice about adding veggies and more fat is spot on.

I struggled with filling it up exactly most of the time, but when I did get to it, I felt my best. Adding more veggie volume to my meals really helped!

Also, I was eating about 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast. Turns out, 2 eggs is not enough of a serving for me. On the forums, there is a thread about a serving of eggs, which is how many you can hold in one hand. When I increased to 3 eggs, I felt fuller longer.

Congrats on starting your Whole 30 journey! You got this!

Yes, thank you both. I understand the meal template and am doing my best but I am not accustomed to eating large servings at one sitting so that is just too much food for me at once, especially in morning. I am trying very hard every day to get closer to the meal template. I have never dieted in my entire life, and have very poor eating habits (eating small amounts of junk food throughout the day). This is a big change for me so I am allowing myself some grace as I start to transition to these meal templates. I will work toward getting closer to the meal template as my body adjusts to this new way of eating. I appreciate the help, thanks ladies!

Day 4:

Meal 1: 1 scrambled egg with sausage and guacamole

Meal 2: Rotisserie chicken and watermelon

Meal 3: chicken fajitas (minus the tortilla obviously)

Snack: 4 pistachios

Insights: Today was my birthday so it was especially hard to not celebrate around food. I know my meals are not anywhere close to the meal template, but especially today, I just didn't want to have to stress about finding recipes for veggies, then cooking. The nausea is gone today and I have more energy so that was nice. Today was my first day struggling with cravings, mostly because I was hanging out with my mom who was able to indulge in the things I cannot. 

NSVs: I have not had heartburn since this started, and I used to have it one to two times a night. I have also noticed my acne is clearing up.

15 hours ago, Blair W said:

Insights: Today was my birthday so it was especially hard to not celebrate around food. I know my meals are not anywhere close to the meal template, but especially today, I just didn't want to have to stress about finding recipes for veggies, then cooking. The nausea is gone today and I have more energy so that was nice. Today was my first day struggling with cravings, mostly because I was hanging out with my mom who was able to indulge in the things I cannot. 

Happy (belated?) birthday!

Yup, you are so right about working up to that amount of food on the template. It's about grace and loving yourself, and trying your best. It is a huge change and you are doing such an awesome job. 

I struggle with perfectionism (in the sense if I can't win, succeed, or complete something, I won't even try) and allowing myself grace was a struggle on it's own. 

You are rocking it!

21 hours ago, Lokan_V said:

Happy (belated?) birthday!

Yup, you are so right about working up to that amount of food on the template. It's about grace and loving yourself, and trying your best. It is a huge change and you are doing such an awesome job. 

I struggle with perfectionism (in the sense if I can't win, succeed, or complete something, I won't even try) and allowing myself grace was a struggle on it's own. 

You are rocking it!

Thanks so much! I never thought I would be able to cut out sugar, let alone anything else. I have an extremely unhealthy relationship to food and was raised eating primarily fast food and highly processed cheap food. I never ate fruit or veggies so all of this is so new to me. Given my upbringing and unhealthy obsession with food, I can't believe I have made this change in my life. I know I have a lot of room to improve but I feel like I am getting better everyday. I too am a perfectionist in other areas of my life so I definitely want to do the Whole 30 "perfectly"

This community is so supportive and wonderful, thank you so much for all of your insights and support :)

Day 5:

Meal 1: Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili (my first breakfast that is compliant to the meal template)

Meal 2: Chicken Fajitas and too much watermelon (I took the whole bowl to the couch with me and munched while watching TV. Lesson learned!!!!)

Meal 3: Pulled pork and mashed sweet potatoes with caramelized onions on top

NO SNACKS

100 oz water

Insights: Day 5 was a pretty easy day because 2 of my 3 meals were leftovers so I didn't have to cook as much.  I am still finding that the immense amount of time I am spending in the kitchen is unreal (and unsustainable since I own my own business and have a toddler and do foster care). Cravings have not been too big of an issue for me, but meal prep and finding food that is Whole30 compliant is challenging. I feel very limited with flavor because I HAAAAATE all varieties of vinegar and mayonnaise so pretty much all the dressings are out for me. It makes it impossible to eat salad of any kind (which I typically love salad). 

NSV: Still no heartburn. 

Concern: I noticed some strange bodily feelings Days 4 and 5 but I just chalked it up to my body withdrawing from the sugars. I finally got so ill last night that I checked my blood pressure and found that I was in hypertensive crisis. I thought for sure my blood pressure would go down with this diet so I was incredibly surprised to see my BP so incredibly high. I have had hypertensive crisis spikes before, but I always figured it was my poor diet that was making it spike. I am now thinking I need to set up an appointment with my doctor to see what else could be making it spike like that.

Day 6:

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs w/salsa

Meal 2: 4 oz steak and guacamole

Meal 3: Coconut curry chicken and steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)

Snack: a few sips of fruit juice

Insights: Today I went to our local farmers market to pick up some more fresh fruit and veggies. I thought this would be a fun experience but I found it very triggering for food cravings. I had to walk past AND SMELL some amazing, non-compliant food booths. I was also with some friends that were talking about grabbing fast food for their kids after we left which made me wish I could do the same. My overall cravings are really low and manageable at home, but I am finding myself very triggered when I am out and about or with family/friends not on the diet.

NSV: still no heartburn

Day 7:

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs and an orange

Meal 2: Coconut Curry Chicken and steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots

Meal 3: Chicken and apple salad

Snack: Banana

Insights: Today I was ready to quit. I have really been struggling with cooking so much and having a hard time finding recipes that are compliant (that I like). I don't really care for meat and veggies as a whole so eating so much of them is really making me sick of them. I just didn't want to have to eat yet another nauseating meal of meat and veggies. My husband convinced me to stay on program so I made it through the night but I do not know if I will make it through the weekend. My anxiety is increasing with every meal, dreading the next mealtime. I was trying to find a thread on here about support for people who are contemplating quitting, but I couldn't find one.

NSV: Still no heartburn

Day 8:

Meal 1: homestyle Sweet potatoes, bell pepper, and onion and 4 strips of bacon

Meal 2: shredded pork and steamed cauliflower and carrots

Meal 3: Chicken red curry (with carrots, zuchini, and onions)

Snack: apple

Insights: Today was easier, my motivation returned. I am not quite as motivated as before but much better than yesterday. I am just so sick and tired of cooking/shopping. I am a picky person who does not like to eat the same meal more than once or twice so meal prepping large batches does not work for me. This means I am cooking three times a day and this kind of work just isn't sustainable for my lifestyle (work from home mom of a toddler who also does foster care). I am really hoping to make it to the end of the thirty days but am fearful I might binge once it is over. I will definitely be continuing to utilize this website as a source of support to try to stay strong! Thanks all!!!

NSV: still no heartburn and my hands seem less swollen than usual.

Day 9:

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs with turkey and guacamole

Meal 2: Chicken red curry with zucchini, carrots, and onions

Meal 3: Filet mignon and snap peas, potatoes, and carrots 

No Snacks

Insights: Today wasn't too bad. We had dinner at my in-laws and I found myself highly craving dessert after dinner (a common ritual over there), but I made it through by just distracting myself.

NSV: One thing that has made me very happy so far is seeing my 4 year old daughter take such interest in eating healthy. She sees me making good choices and is starting to understand the importance of everyone eating healthy (I have always been good about making her eat healthy, I have not held myself to the same standards though. I would sneak junk food and desserts while she was sleeping daily).  Also, still no heartburn

Day 10:

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs

Meal 2: apple (work ran late and I had no other option)

Meal 3: Chicken vindaloo and steamed broccoli

Water: 90 oz (my first day running behind on water because work ran late)

No snacks

Insights: Yesterday was easy, I didn't get too hungry or experience much craving. Last night was a rough nights sleep (which is rare for me). I kept waking up wide awake. I also experienced heartburn for the first time on this diet so I am not sure what caused it. My energy lately is at an all time low, I am hoping my body starts burning the fat for energy because I am just so tapped out every day.

NSV: none right now :(

Hi Blair!

Glad to see that you're still pushing through. It gets super tough right about now. You are so strong, you can get through this.

I don't want to push more advice on you, but if you need encouragement or support, let me know. I just got back from traveling so I'll be around for a few days before leaving again this weekend. 

You are Whole 30!

18 hours ago, Lokan_V said:

Hi Blair!

Glad to see that you're still pushing through. It gets super tough right about now. You are so strong, you can get through this.

I don't want to push more advice on you, but if you need encouragement or support, let me know. I just got back from traveling so I'll be around for a few days before leaving again this weekend. 

You are Whole 30!

Thanks so much!!! You have been such a great support :)

Day 11:

Meal 1: 1 scrambled egg

Meal 2: filet mignon and potatoes, carrots, and snap peas

Meal 3: Bare chicken strips and potatoes

No Snacks

Insights: I had heartburn again today so that was interesting, I am now trying to figure what exactly causes it for me. I have also been constipated this whole 11 days so far and I am assuming it is because I am not getting enough leafy greens. Sadly, I hate vinegar in all it's forms so all of the Whole 30 salad dressings are out for me so no salads. My pickiness is definitely making this diet hard because I am eating the same food over and over and getting sick of it. I am optimistic I will make it through the 30 days, but fear I will binge when it's over because I will be so sick of this food. I am also a little bummed that at this point, I can't see any positive changes in my body. I am really struggling with fatigue every day. So far, I definitely feel worse on the program than I did before the program. I am hoping this is temporary and I start to feel better soon.

No NSVs

Blair, I've just read through your logs for the first time. It is so inspiring to see what you are doing, and the positive attitude you are bringing to it. So glad to hear that the heartburn has pretty much disappeared!

I'm struggling a bit, too (I'm only on 5 day, so way behind you). I used to eat meat maybe twice a week, so to have it 3 times a day just feels gross. 

Just a friendly note to cheer you on. Let us know what the doctor says about your blood pressure.

Hugs to you,

6 minutes ago, Unibok said:

Blair, I've just read through your logs for the first time. It is so inspiring to see what you are doing, and the positive attitude you are bringing to it. So glad to hear that the heartburn has pretty much disappeared!

I'm struggling a bit, too (I'm only on 5 day, so way behind you). I used to eat meat maybe twice a week, so to have it 3 times a day just feels gross. 

Just a friendly note to cheer you on. Let us know what the doctor says about your blood pressure.

Hugs to you,

Aw, thanks so much, and CONGRATS on your journey. The first week was the hardest for me and it has been getting easier since then. I totally feel you on the meat thing. I used to only eat meat at dinner time, and usually very little of it since I am not a huge fan of it. Eating it so much totally grosses me out. I have given up on trying to eat it at breakfast so I eat eggs instead (not that I really like eggs either though). I wish I was one of those people that love vegetables but I just don't. So basically, I don't like any of the food on this program except fruit lol. I do think that it is good for me to try to get used to eating more veggies, and maybe a little more meat, so I think the program is doing it's job of trying to encourage new habits. It is hard though, not gonna lie. I can't wait until the 30 days are over and I can stop eating eggs for breakfast lol. How is your journey so far? Are you feeling any difference in your body yet?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Blair W said:

I am really struggling with fatigue every day. So far, I definitely feel worse on the program than I did before the program

Hey Blair!  Sorry that you're not feeling well... if I may offer some advice - you're not eating enough. 

When eggs are your sole source of protein, it should be as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that starts around 3-4.  If you don't want to eat that many eggs, then add another source of protein.  Your breakfasts are also lacking in fat and veggies for the most part and it's absolutely true that breakfast sets you up for the day so skimping there is not doing you any favors in the long run.

Other examples of ways to improve your meals:

Day 11 you had no fat (don't count cooking fat, most of that is left in the pan or split between servings... add a plated fat at each meal)

Day 8 you have no protein in your M1 (bacon counts as a fat) and no fat in your second two meal.

Day 7 you're short on veg at two meals and short on fat... 

Have another look at the meal template (linked in my signature below) and see if you can't get those meals matched up a bit better - it will help, I promise!

53 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey Blair!  Sorry that you're not feeling well... if I may offer some advice - you're not eating enough. 

When eggs are your sole source of protein, it should be as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that starts around 3-4.  If you don't want to eat that many eggs, then add another source of protein.  Your breakfasts are also lacking in fat and veggies for the most part and it's absolutely true that breakfast sets you up for the day so skimping there is not doing you any favors in the long run.

Other examples of ways to improve your meals:

Day 11 you had no fat (don't count cooking fat, most of that is left in the pan or split between servings... add a plated fat at each meal)

Day 8 you have no protein in your M1 (bacon counts as a fat) and no fat in your second two meal.

Day 7 you're short on veg at two meals and short on fat... 

Have another look at the meal template (linked in my signature below) and see if you can't get those meals matched up a bit better - it will help, I promise!

Thank you for your feedback :) Yes, I am totally aware I am not sticking to the meal template. Breakfasts are especially hard for me. I have no appetite and hate the taste of fatty foods so pretty much everything on the Fats List grosses me out. Eating fatty or greasy foods (like sausage, bacon, pork, etc) in the morning makes me sick to my stomach. I also can't seem to stomach the idea of veggies in the morning. I am definitely trying to work toward the meal template, but at this point, my biggest goal is staying Whole 30 and not quitting. I am so picky, it makes this really hard lol. I really appreciate your detailed feedback and I will work harder to stay more on-template moving forward. Thanks again!

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Blair W said:

Thank you for your feedback :) Yes, I am totally aware I am not sticking to the meal template. Breakfasts are especially hard for me. I have no appetite and hate the taste of fatty foods so pretty much everything on the Fats List grosses me out. Eating fatty or greasy foods (like sausage, bacon, pork, etc) in the morning makes me sick to my stomach. I also can't seem to stomach the idea of veggies in the morning. I am definitely trying to work toward the meal template, but at this point, my biggest goal is staying Whole 30 and not quitting. I am so picky, it makes this really hard lol. I really appreciate your detailed feedback and I will work harder to stay more on-template moving forward. Thanks again!

I totally get that - not wanting to eat savory foods in the morning is a very common problem.  It stems from the hormones coritsol and leptin being out of whack... that hormone imbalance is also responsible for '2nd wind' at night and the urge to snack and roam through the pantry.  The way to fix it, unfortunately for those that have the problem, is to eat a savory template breakfast within an hour of waking.  Harder than it sounds, I know.  What we suggest is plating up a template breakfast, eating from it as much as you are able within an hour of waking and then wrapping up the rest and eating from it again as soon as you feel able to keep it down (don't wait for your next meal time).  It seems counter-intuitive but it's how you get your hormones doing the right thing for you at the right time of the day... indicating its wake up time by eating a proper breakfast.

You can try veggie and protein loaded soups or even breakfast salads - you don't need to have eggs, sausage and bacon - any food that you eat at any other time of the day works.  When I was going through this, I'd have chicken salad on spagetti squash or a breakfast salad or a soup with chopped up protein (one fave around here is Well Fed Silky Gingered soup with chopped up chicken breast... ).  Try and think outside the box a little bit when it comes to breakfast and that might help!

2 hours ago, Blair W said:

Aw, thanks so much, and CONGRATS on your journey. The first week was the hardest for me and it has been getting easier since then. I totally feel you on the meat thing. I used to only eat meat at dinner time, and usually very little of it since I am not a huge fan of it. Eating it so much totally grosses me out. I have given up on trying to eat it at breakfast so I eat eggs instead (not that I really like eggs either though). I wish I was one of those people that love vegetables but I just don't. So basically, I don't like any of the food on this program except fruit lol. I do think that it is good for me to try to get used to eating more veggies, and maybe a little more meat, so I think the program is doing it's job of trying to encourage new habits. It is hard though, not gonna lie. I can't wait until the 30 days are over and I can stop eating eggs for breakfast lol. How is your journey so far? Are you feeling any difference in your body yet?

Aw, thanks for asking. Luckily, I do love vegetables, so that helps. Lol. So far I am noticing that my face looks thinner -- which is a great sign. It's always the first place I lose weight, so I'm looking forward to seeing changes in other parts of my body during the coming weeks. My energy has been much higher than usual, but the downside is that it may be a bit too high, so I'm not sleeping well. Eventually that has to catch up with me, right?

I don't know if this will work for you, but it looks to me like you have a very active life with a toddler, fostering, and a job. Your fatigue might be because you aren't eating enough to fuel yourself through all of that. I realize you may not want to eat more when you think the food is gross, but you might want to "prescribe" yourself more food as medicine to get you through the day. For fats, are you okay with avocados? If so, eat 1/2 of one, either sliced or mixed into a mini guacamole -- even for breakfast. Avocado and nut butters are my go-to fats so far. Sliced apples with nut butter is a pretty tasty snack or side dish.

Like you, I can't bear the thought of meat for breakfast, but have always loved a veggie and egg scramble. For Whole30, I'm just upping the amount of eggs. So far I'm only up to 2, and I think that might not be enough. As you said, we're building new habits and getting used to new tastes. I'll get there.

And so will you!

On 9/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

You can try veggie and protein loaded soups or even breakfast salads - you don't need to have eggs, sausage and bacon - any food that you eat at any other time of the day works.  When I was going through this, I'd have chicken salad on spagetti squash or a breakfast salad or a soup with chopped up protein (one fave around here is Well Fed Silky Gingered soup with chopped up chicken breast... ).  Try and think outside the box a little bit when it comes to breakfast and that might help!

Thank you for the great breakfast suggestions! I googled some soup recipes after this and found some that look good. I also tried spaghetti squash for the first time, it's actually quite tasty! Thanks again!!!

Archived