Starting WHOLE30 Sept 10

Readyfor30!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, xkellz17x said:

I also started Whole 30 today! My goal is to change my relationship with food, stop binge eating and most importantly, be healthy for pregnancy. My husband and I are beginning our In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) process in the coming weeks. I keep thinking I'm crazy for embarking on this journey while simultaneously beginning IVF; but I know i need to do this for me and that the end result will be worth it! 

I will definitely be using this group for support and look forward to hearing about everyone's journey! 

Thank you for beginning this post for all who started today. WE CAN DO IT! 

Good luck! Getting healthy/ready for a hopeful pregnancy is one of my goals as well. Hope everything goes well for you all!

On 9/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, Readyfor30! said:

Anyone out there staring their W30 on 9/10? I was going to start it on 9/3 but has things come up. Looking for accountability. I’m a 55 y-o and looking to change my relationship with food (as well as lose some weight!). 

I’m starting today..

22 minutes ago, Tigerswife said:

Happy first day everyone! Is anyone as surprised as I am that sugar is almost everything?!! I almost messed up on the first day by adding garlic salt! 

Sugar is in everything it seems. I carry a magnifying glass in my bag for reading ingredient labels, lol!

So huge success for me. I actually didn't go out and eat fast food on day 1. Usually my negotiator (Sugar Dragon) talks me into going to get a magazine and eat fast food with a diet coke and just start on Tue. Well today I did not. YAY ME!!!!! I am going to need to eat more that the 3 meals especially in the 1st week. My gastritis has kicked in and I can only eat small meals right now and everything upsets my stomach. I am going to make some more bone broth tonight so I have it for the next few days and maybe some veggie soup. I have to find a recipe without green beans and any type of squash since I can't have those right now so I will be googling that. @Yaz I too am addicted to bread so I am with you. 

Yes you can have potatoes on this but if you are finding that it is a food with no brakes you may consider taking it out. For me that was the case but know I can't have night shades so it's a bummer. I also have to be careful of the nuts because that is also a food I tend to eat a lot of. I can't do the Rx or luna bars so I have found 1 epic bar I can eat so I will be having to use that as emergency food. 

@Red Petal awesome of finishing your 1st day. @Readyfor30! where in SoCal? I am in Los Angeles. @xkellz17x I am glad you are with us and I wish you both all the best on the IVF. @Tigerswife I know you're right, sugar is in everything. It is crazy, you REALLY have to read all the labels even the ones you think you know. I almost missed it in a spice I always used and thought I had checked. 

All the best to everyone starting today. This is a great group and I am excited to be apart of it with all of you. Here is one of my favorite recipes that I now just realized I am going to have to get rid of the left overs because I can't have zucchini.  I will need to figure out something to replace it. Any recommendations?

Whole 30 Paleo Bacon Italian Meatloaf.docx

Happy First day of Whole 30!  I started today too and was hoping to find a few others.  I have completed two whole 30's and had a false start a couple of times too :(     I am 64....live in Indy and really trying to focus on ME!  I basically have been following Paleo since 2009 and KNOW when I eat clean I feel my very best.  At this point in my life the only way I can lose weight it to eat clean and incorporate activity - which has been missing.

I have a busy work life and I am finally to a place where I am not stressing about that and I believe I can focus on ME....eating and feeling stronger and becoming stronger physically too.  I started back to my yoga class and have now gone once a week for 3 weeks....so I hope that is also getting me to a point of getting back to the gym. 

I too love bread and it does not sit well with me at all.  I'm pretty sure I have some type of wheat and/or gluten intolerance.  I have several food allergies/intolerances so I know I need to do this!  Elizabeth I too want to be compliant and increase my physical activity.  Miriam I too am very grateful for the potatoes!...and Jenny - yes for me on back to basics.  I pack my breakfast and lunch as I leave by 6am for work.  My goal today is to eat only what I have planned for and get at last 20 minutes of physical activity.  We can do this!  Looking forward to getting to know you all better!

44 minutes ago, Elizabeth33 said:

So huge success for me. I actually didn't go out and eat fast food on day 1. Usually my negotiator (Sugar Dragon) talks me into going to get a magazine and eat fast food with a diet coke and just start on Tue. Well today I did not. YAY ME!!!!! I am going to need to eat more that the 3 meals especially in the 1st week. My gastritis has kicked in and I can only eat small meals right now and everything upsets my stomach. I am going to make some more bone broth tonight so I have it for the next few days and maybe some veggie soup. I have to find a recipe without green beans and any type of squash since I can't have those right now so I will be googling that. @Yaz I too am addicted to bread so I am with you. 

Yes you can have potatoes on this but if you are finding that it is a food with no brakes you may consider taking it out. For me that was the case but know I can't have night shades so it's a bummer. I also have to be careful of the nuts because that is also a food I tend to eat a lot of. I can't do the Rx or luna bars so I have found 1 epic bar I can eat so I will be having to use that as emergency food. 

@Red Petal awesome of finishing your 1st day. @Readyfor30! where in SoCal? I am in Los Angeles. @xkellz17x I am glad you are with us and I wish you both all the best on the IVF. @Tigerswife I know you're right, sugar is in everything. It is crazy, you REALLY have to read all the labels even the ones you think you know. I almost missed it in a spice I always used and thought I had checked. 

All the best to everyone starting today. This is a great group and I am excited to be apart of it with all of you. Here is one of my favorite recipes that I now just realized I am going to have to get rid of the left overs because I can't have zucchini.  I will need to figure out something to replace it. Any recommendations?

Whole 30 Paleo Bacon Italian Meatloaf.docx

Awesome job not giving in! The beginning will be the hardest for sure, I am dreading day 2 tomorrow when the "dragon" will be awakened for me I'm sure...

That recipe looks awesome! Why can't you have zucchini? I would think you could substitute any type of squash, but not entirely sure.

1 hour ago, Tigerswife said:

Happy first day everyone! Is anyone as surprised as I am that sugar is almost everything?!! I almost messed up on the first day by adding garlic salt! 

Now I'm worried about the garlic salt I used on my squash this morning! I'm going to be so mad if I get home and find out it has sugar in it :lol:

40 minutes ago, britt1229 said:

Now I'm worried about the garlic salt I used on my squash this morning! I'm going to be so mad if I get home and find out it has sugar in it :lol:

I don’t use garlic salt or onion salt. I use garlic powder and onion powder and nothing is added to that. That way I can just use my own sea salt and grind at the same time I am using those seasonings.

I believe in salt but I can’t stand oversalted food.  

Just came back from a 35 minute strength/stretch class at the gym on my lunch hour. It feels good! I had a quick after-workout snack and will try to wait for lunch until !;30 or 2. The keys for me are: 1) planning, 2) shopping for compliant foods, 3) reading all labels, and 4) talking myself out of wanting to snack! That's a hard one and it's only day 1!!!!

Good luck to all... Plan, shop and read all labels. We can do this! The need to feel better and be healthy is greater than the need to eat food that isn't good for us!

So coming to the end of day 1 for me. I have been very tired this afternoon and hungry. I ate a nice dinner 1 hour ago and I am hungry again. This day 1 has been different for me than others. I have really been feeling the loss of energy. I have really wanted to eat off plan but have been able to not do so. I did treat myself with some snow crab legs and artichoke. I used the rest of my ghee and had to make more. Guess what? I dropped my strainer with all the milk fat and oil on to the floor. It took me 6 times to get the floor not slippery. I did some more prep and made cole slaw with poppy seed dressing, sweet potato salad with left over roasted sweet potato, sautéed up some beet greens and made 2 baggies of raw veggies. 

@britt1229 I have to stay away from foods that are high in lectins. That means nothing from the squash family, no zucchini,  green beans, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, pumpkins, and night shades. Half of the nightshade family makes me sick so my nutritionist and I decided to get rid of all the high lectins to see if that helps with my pain level. I also have issues with garlic, onions, and have to be careful with citrus. Fun times. 

I was hungry so I ate the other half of my Lara bar before I left work. Finished dinner and prepped breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. Made turkey patties for tomorrow’s dinner, cooked some sweet potatoes in the instant pot. I’m tired! There’s 29 more days?!?! Tomorrow morning is my spin day - hope I can get up at 5AM and have energy to get through it!!

I did not sleep well last night. I woke up sometime this morning and was hungry. I had some water. I was awake for a while and then fell asleep to wake up to a nightmare. Good morning! I am tired today and sluggish. I do want to take a walk today which I didn't do yesterday. For those of you who really exercise I do recall but can't find an exact page that they recommend taking it easy on the first week, don't feel bad if you can't do what you usually do. Our bodies are changing its fuel so there is not as much quick energy available. Do what you can and that is great! Make sure you get your pre and post meals in if you are going for it. I know some of you are doing this already. That is awesome. I am hoping to be able to incorporate more exercise as I get healthier. Drink lots of water today. I may take a little more salt today which I have found sometimes helps with my headaches and fatigue. I used to eat a lot of foods with large amounts of salt so now that I am not I need to make sure I am getting some. I am starting my bone broth today because I only have 1 bag left. I will check in later with everyone. Have a great day. @chrissyc0411 welcome to our group. Yes you are doing it right. 

Day 2! I was hungry all.day.long yesterday. Hoping it was just because it was Day 1, and I was emotional because it was my son's first day of kindergarten :( This is my first time using a forum as well. Since I have never succeeded with a diet program I'm hoping this will help. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and sharing your journey. This may not be hard, but it sure ain't easy. 

Day 2! Super proud of myself for getting through day 1, I feel yesterday went well. I stuck to the plan, but around 3:00 I was hungry. I had a few almonds to get me through and realized I should probably keep some compliant snacks at work. Dinner was a breeze (Chicken thighs, with kale, mushrooms, onions and red pepper mayo drizzle). But then, per usual, I was late-night craving something...anything sweet! I was even considering dark chocolate (YUCK! My least favorite thing). But instead, I cleaned my house to keep myself occupied! I prepped a few "emergency" snack packs just in case. I got into bed early. That was my #NSV yesterday! 

So far Day 2 is going well. Looking forward to staying in touch with the group and hearing how everyone is doing! 

Keep up the good work! We can do this! 

Just wanted to say that something that has really helped me so far and will continue to is to bring a giant bag of snacks to keep in my desk at work. I made one up for my husband and myself. This also helped this morning when I realized I didn't have any fat earlier at breakfast. I put in small baggies of almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds, those serving size packets of almond butter from Justins, a couple jerky sticks, and a couple kids Rx bars. I'm not planning on digging into this unless absolutely necessary, but I wanted to be prepared rather than go to the Starbucks in the bottom of my building like usual if I am starving. 

My fiance and I started our first round on 9/10 as well. My goal is to better understand how specific foods affect my body and to get back on track.  Our wedding is 8 months away and this is the perfect kick start for both of us.  Thank you for starting this post as the more support the better! 

Archived