Starting WHOLE30 Sept 10

Readyfor30!

I started on the 10th as well. I have always struggled with my relationship to food and have never been able to create good habits around my diet. I am looking forward to the challenge Whole30, what I will learn about myself, and changing my eating and food prep patterns. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, britt1229 said:

Just wanted to say that something that has really helped me so far and will continue to is to bring a giant bag of snacks to keep in my desk at work. I made one up for my husband and myself. This also helped this morning when I realized I didn't have any fat earlier at breakfast. I put in small baggies of almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds, those serving size packets of almond butter from Justins, a couple jerky sticks, and a couple kids Rx bars. I'm not planning on digging into this unless absolutely necessary, but I wanted to be prepared rather than go to the Starbucks in the bottom of my building like usual if I am starving. 

Having emergency food is great planning!  We do caution that instead of nuts and nut butters/nut bars, tinned fish, pouches of olives and other items that more resemble a mini meal of at least protein and fat are a good stash of emergency food.  Obviously what you have is okay but if you find yourself having many 'absolutely necessary' moments, it's worth considering changing the emergency food up :)

Good morning from Massachusetts!!! Day 3! I have to say, last night, I almost lost it. My plan was to make a recipe "Pizza Stuffed Sweet Potatoes" for dinner. I was really excited about making it. When I took out the sweet potatoes...MOLDY!!!! :( uhhh, I was ready to throw some chicken nuggets in the oven and call it a night. But I reminded myself the reason I'm doing this program...took a minute and regrouped. I ended up making a sausage "stir fry" with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and butternut squash and finished with a clementine. #NSV - not losing my shtuff (typo on purpose :) ) when things don't work out! 

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I'm possible”! —Audrey Hepburn.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, britt1229 said:

Awesome job not giving in! The beginning will be the hardest for sure, I am dreading day 2 tomorrow when the "dragon" will be awakened for me I'm sure...

That recipe looks awesome! Why can't you have zucchini? I would think you could substitute any type of squash, but not entirely sure.

Hello from Washington!  

The same thing happened to me yesterday, I had a recipe I’d tweaked to make compliant, garlic mushroom chicken thighs, my shrooms were slimy and disgusting. Luckily I had a zucchini in my garden so I subbed it. Completed with a green salad with dump ranch, dinner was served. The Hubs loved it!  

17 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Having emergency food is great planning!  We do caution that instead of nuts and nut butters/nut bars, tinned fish, pouches of olives and other items that more resemble a mini meal of at least protein and fat are a good stash of emergency food.  Obviously what you have is okay but if you find yourself having many 'absolutely necessary' moments, it's worth considering changing the emergency food up :)

Hey - sorry, I don't think I understood your post! What types of food would you suggest keeping at my desk/on hand at home in case of emergency? 

Happy Day 3! I'm definitely not as tired as I was yesterday (thank goodness!!), as all I wanted to do was crawl under my desk and nap. I find my cravings for cheese and wine to be the hardest part at this time.  I didn't realize that it was such a habit for me to come home and grab these two things to unwind before I starting to cook.  But I am learning about myself each day, which is a great thing.  And of course, while I have my own struggles, my fiance thinks this is a breeze because why wouldn't it be for him? <_< To get ready for today I read up on a bunch of the forums for a little extra motivation.  I hope everyone has a successful day!

1 hour ago, Chelsrosee said:

Happy Day 3! I'm definitely not as tired as I was yesterday (thank goodness!!), as all I wanted to do was crawl under my desk and nap. I find my cravings for cheese and wine to be the hardest part at this time.  I didn't realize that it was such a habit for me to come home and grab these two things to unwind before I starting to cook.  But I am learning about myself each day, which is a great thing.  And of course, while I have my own struggles, my fiance thinks this is a breeze because why wouldn't it be for him? <_< To get ready for today I read up on a bunch of the forums for a little extra motivation.  I hope everyone has a successful day!

Day 3! So far so good...still here :) What are you turning to instead of wine and cheese? This was my habit as well... I am pouring kombucha in a wine glass and find I'm satisfied with that. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, britt1229 said:

Hey - sorry, I don't think I understood your post! What types of food would you suggest keeping at my desk/on hand at home in case of emergency? 

Oh shoot, I obviously wasn't paying attention when I was writing and missed the whole 'examples' part... sorry!

So tinned fish, pouches of olives, packets of guacamole - for these when I bring for emergency, I bring one packet to work on Monday, leave it in the fridge and if I haven't used it, take it home on Friday and use in weekend meals and then bring one back the next work day and repeat... you can do the same with any sturdy cooked protein like meatballs, cooked sausage etc... once you get your meals down and are in the groove, you might notice that you no longer need to have these emergency foods... when you become fat adapted, you may become hungry but you notice it's just hunger, not hunger-rage and you can wait till your next meal to eat.

Just finished up lunch. I had a salad with grilled chicken and Tessemae's W30 approved Ranch dressing...I ate 1/2 the salad and was full! Paying attention to "feeling full" signals is so important. I never paid attention to that before and always would feel so yucky after meals. Now i know why!! 

Anyone else feel like they're learning their "feeling full" signals?

14 minutes ago, Tigerswife said:

Day 3! So far so good...still here :) What are you turning to instead of wine and cheese? This was my habit as well... I am pouring kombucha in a wine glass and find I'm satisfied with that. 

So far I've just been staying busy and distracted.  I went to a spin class on the day 1 and day 2 I laid in bed much earlier than usual with a night time tea as I normally drink wine on my couch or kitchen.  I love the idea of kombucha in a wine glass, what a great idea! I will have to try that as well. If I find any other little tricks I will make sure to share!

Midway through Day 3 for me here in California. Not too bad. I normally eat quite healthy during the week, so this hasn't been too hard for me.  BUT, I am dreading the weekend! That is when I fall off the wagon and have the wine, the fast food, the junk! I don't have a lot going on this weekend either, so I'll have to keep myself busy! What are some things you do to keep yourself busy and away from food? There's only so much exercise one can do in a day! ;) 

I started 9/10 too! So happy to have found this forum! I’m doing Whole30 to understand my body better (especially stomach pains), learn to cook healthy foods, and prepare for pregnancy.

I SO relate to the folks who feel frustrated when there’s a kink in the meal prep. For me, it was a stopped up sink. We do SO MUCH planning that it’s tough when the uncontrollable happens!

I also wanted to say that I’ve been loving the September Whole30 recipes from Blue Apron, especially the chicken tenders (cooked in almond flour and potato flakes) and pork cauliflower fried rice. You can google the recipes too without having to subscribe!

Day 4!! First of all..I know I'm on track with Whole30 on day 4 because today in my "Whole 30 Day to Day book" it says today is the Kill All The Things Day, and guess what!!! I am so not in the mood for anyone/anything today! Uhhh! But I'm going to get through, one meal at a time. 

One question, I have been waking up with leg cramps in the middle of the night. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm do drink a lot of water, so I am hydrated. I was trying to limit fruit, since my cravings are usually sugary ones. But do you think adding a banana for potassium would be helpful? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and if anyone else has experienced this. 

@Readyfor30! Some ideas to stay busy over the weekend (just my thoughts, take em or leave em! But I know this has helped me the last few days) Do you have a linen closet / or any closet that needs organizing? Do you have a basement that's a mess and could use a good binge and purge session? Schedule a walk/coffee with friends, or find a good book, and if its nice out, a park or somewhere outside to read and enjoy the weather. Take a scenic drive. Just a few ideas to stay busy over the weekend. It's definitely a tricky few days, but you got this! Good luck! 

“Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.” —Norman Vincent Peale

Sorry I haven't posted anything since Monday.  Crazy work schedule right now and I actually DID take a walk at lunch yesterday.  It was perfect weather outside for it.  I too usually eat pretty healthy during the week, BUT - getting home from work late and tired ....it has been so easy to order a pizza or grab a sub and call it a night. Planning ahead and sticking to my plan is the only way I don't cave when I am tired and hungry!  So far I have stuck with the plan and very happy I have.  I don't remember who posted about not focusing on activity right now and I appreciate that.  I think after next week I will have breathing room to try to pick that up too. 

Hope everyone is doing GREAT!   Had chicken salad I made from rotisserie chicken over spinach salad and added avocado for my lunch today...

Day 4. I got up and did my spin class and in a few minutes going to a stretch/yoga class on my lunch time. I feel good, nothing out of the ordinary. Last night I really did want something sweet but I resisted! I am already getting tired of my food. We are going to try and change it up on the weekend since there is more time to plan. So far so good but 26 days seems like a really long time...

@xkellz17x funny you should ask if I have a linen closet that needs cleaning... I DO! And I've been putting it off for a while. I have quite a few cupboards I can go through. :-)

I started on the 10th. This is my 2nd Whole30. My first was great but I fell off the wagon hard afterwards. I actually love being on Whole30 and start to feel more energy after day 1. My challenge is afterwards. So my focus is prepping for what happens after reintroduction. The key is food prep for the 30 days so you don’t make decisions while hungry. 

Day 4 and Day 5 are done but have been super crabby in the mornings. I become human around midday. Was hoping this would have passed by now. Thank God for coffee. 

Good news ~ my prepping lasted 5 days. Bad news ~ am missing my Friday night wine!

@Readyfor30! am a little bored with my food too. Gonna try and mix it up on the weekend. 

2 hours ago, Red Petal said:

Day 4 and Day 5 are done but have been super crabby in the mornings. I become human around midday. Was hoping this would have passed by now. Thank God for coffee. 

Good news ~ my prepping lasted 5 days. Bad news ~ am missing my Friday night wine!

@Readyfor30! am a little bored with my food too. Gonna try and mix it up on the weekend. 

I am right there with you.  My Day 4 morning was not bad but when I got home from work things went from "Day 4 isn't too bad, what are they talking about?" to "If you speak to me I will punch you."  I woke up this morning feeling that same way.  Thank God for coffee. 

I'm worried about the weekend because that is generally when I really indulge, i.e., give me all the wine.  So I'm hoping that keeping distracted and focusing on finding yummy new meals will help me get through the next two days.  

I hope everyone has a successful Day 5!

It’s the start of day 5 but it’s Friday! I’m on the bus going to work with...get this...two boxes of donuts on my lap. We have donuts every Friday and it’s my day to bring them. It’s a little tempting but not as much as I thought it would be. I even brought an RX bar just in case. 

Looking forward to changing it up this weekend. I think I’m going to try the Chipotle carnita meal for dinner today  that is compliant. 

Have a great day everyone. We’ve got this!

On 9/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, Readyfor30! said:

Midway through Day 3 for me here in California. Not too bad. I normally eat quite healthy during the week, so this hasn't been too hard for me.  BUT, I am dreading the weekend! That is when I fall off the wagon and have the wine, the fast food, the junk! I don't have a lot going on this weekend either, so I'll have to keep myself busy! What are some things you do to keep yourself busy and away from food? There's only so much exercise one can do in a day! ;) 

That is my issue as well, I'm breezing through the week but know the weekend will be hard. I have no idea what I'm going to do to distract myself. 

4 hours ago, Readyfor30! said:

It’s the start of day 5 but it’s Friday! I’m on the bus going to work with...get this...two boxes of donuts on my lap. We have donuts every Friday and it’s my day to bring them. It’s a little tempting but not as much as I thought it would be. I even brought an RX bar just in case. 

Looking forward to changing it up this weekend. I think I’m going to try the Chipotle carnita meal for dinner today  that is compliant. 

Have a great day everyone. We’ve got this!

OMG, I tried to get the Chipotle carnitas meal delivered yesterday and.... they just brought be a bowl of carnitas and hot sauce! :huh::huh:

I added some cauliflower rice and guac - pretty delicious, but it' so frustrating when you're trying your best to be prepared and then wacky stuff happens!

Hey all, just finishing up the weekend and Day 7. Am so glad I didn't have to do anything social, could really rest up and do my prepping. Made the Thai Cold Salad from the Whole30 book (really good) and the meatloaf from @Elizabeth33 link (very yum). Like many others I was dreading the weekend but it wasn't too bad. I don't know how I'll go in a  social situation so am avoiding as long as I can. 
Blessings: Tomatoes and avocados are in season
Dreading: another week without wine
Good luck for week 2. Stay strong!

Day 7! I haven't checked in a few days because my husband had to have a procedure. We were up at 4AM to head to the hospital. I stayed strong with hard boiled eggs and carrots sticks, and an orange. I got salad bar for lunch at the hospital and luckily, we were home later that afternoon. But we took a nap from being up all morning and late night was tough. But we ordered and i got a grilled chicken salad. I did ask the place what kind of marinade they use (none) and they actually grilled it. I used my own dressing. 

Lots of food prepping for me today, which means lots of dishes! 

Keep up the hard work everyone! B)

Archived