Starting WHOLE30 Sept 10

Readyfor30!

Congrats on making it to day 10!

Yesterday as I was getting dinner ready it made me realize yet again how much of a commitment this is. I've been trying to focus on getting 8 hrs of sleep in addition to the Whole30, since it has a HUGE impact on my willpower and my mood.  It's not just in giving up certain foods but also in being organized so you can set yourself up for success. I struggled to get to bed by 9:30 p.m. yesterday so I could get my 8 hrs in because I had to prep for the next day's breakfast, lunch and meals (the kitchen fire threw a wrench in my pre-week prep, and my huband apparently liked dinner so much that there were no left overs). That means I only have 3 hr 15 min from the time i get home to get dinner on the table and eaten, handle any chores (like getting a new fire extinguisher LOL!)/cleaning up kitchen, and getting ready for bed.  Forget about any relaxing / chill time.  I can't imagine how challenging it might be for those of you doing this with kids.

So hats off to everyone for all the hard work. And if you're struggling a lot, that's okay too because this is hard, and everyone struggles, so congrats for trying with integrity!

Also a couple of helpful links on weekly meal prep that I was following before the kitchen fire sent my week's plans up in "smoke" 

From Well Fed: 

http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

From Nom nom paleo: 

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/59565886426/how-i-roll-weeknight-paleo-dinner-prep

Good luck for the next 2/3rds!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, DaniG818 said:

...my huband apparently liked dinner so much that there were no left overs). That means I only have 3 hr 15 min from the time i get home to get dinner on the table and eaten, handle any chores (like getting a new fire extinguisher LOL!)/cleaning up kitchen, and getting ready for bed.  Forget about any relaxing / chill time.  I can't imagine how challenging it might be for those of you doing this with kids.

Yeah, it's been hard to keep my kid and husband out of my compliant food! Do you know how hard it is to find bacon?! My husband made a BLT with ALL of my cooked (read: prepped for another recipe) bacon the other day. He typically eats maple bacon!

What has saved me with this prep thing is that I have an incredible commercial kitchen at my disposal here at work. It has a hood dishwasher that washes the dishes in TWO MINUTES. This. Has. Saved. My. Life. I come to work with three bags of groceries :-).

56 minutes ago, Wasabibuzz said:

Yeah, it's been hard to keep my kid and husband out of my compliant food! Do you know how hard it is to find bacon?! My husband made a BLT with ALL of my cooked (read: prepped for another recipe) bacon the other day. He typically eats maple bacon!

What has saved me with this prep thing is that I have an incredible commercial kitchen at my disposal here at work. It has a hood dishwasher that washes the dishes in TWO MINUTES. This. Has. Saved. My. Life. I come to work with three bags of groceries :-).

Oh boy that is an act of war LOL. I been looking for bacon without ordering online since my last Whole30 a year ago and finally found it this weekend. I have a tiny NYC kitchen with a tiny NYC stove and no counter space...unless I put a cuttingboard over the sink. It makes for quite the adventure. Luckily I have an under-sink dishwasher so I am jealous of you. NYC apartments don't have a dishwasher. It's like when you have a dishwasher you hit the big time. 

Here's to kitchen gymnastics at home or at the office!

Day 11. I got through yesterday. Yesterday was tough. I mixed it up this morning for breakfast. I couldn't stomach another frittata.  All I could think yesterday was "I don't think I can do this another 20 days!!" I'm hoping it will get better.

I just finished a yoga class at lunch time. It felt good! Time to eat lunch. Hope everyone is doing okay!

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Readyfor30! said:

I mixed it up this morning for breakfast. I couldn't stomach another frittata. 

One of the most helpful things you can do is learn to think of every meal as completely interchangeable -- there is no "breakfast food," there's just food, and any of it that works for lunch or dinner works just fine for breakfast too. Some people think in terms of Meal 1, Meal 2, and Meal 3, rather than breakfast, lunch, and dinner, just to help make that change in thinking in their mind. So, leftovers make a really fast and easy Meal 1. Or you can make up a big thing of soup for the week -- that will help you get in vegetables as well. Meatballs or salmon cakes are easy to make ahead in large batches and freeze, and they reheat quickly even if you forget to thaw them the night before. Or there's a discussion here with some more ideas: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/

Yes! We are going out of town for a wedding... And it’s my husband’s Bday!! I’m prepping like crazy and bringing a cooler to the hotel. 

I’m not worried about temptations. My concern is not finding enough to eat away from the house. Especially since I won’t know how dishes are prepared! I haven’t been out to eat since the 9th. 

Time to leave the controlled environment!

On 9/21/2018 at 11:11 AM, DaniG818 said:

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Day 12! Just think for thos who started on 9/10 we will be halfway through on Monday. Keep it up!

This totally inspired me this weekend - thanks @DaniG818!!

Tonight I made some sweet potato toast to have with breakfast this week - can't wait to top it with Avocado, eggs, and all sorts of fun stuff!

I'm start to feel the smallest hint of tiger blood I think, though I still question EVERYTHING when I see a pastry at the coffee shop when I'm about to order my unsweetened almond milk latte haha!

Weekend was ok - my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a nice seafood restaurant on Saturday. We ordered an appetizer that had no mention of cream/cheese or anything but when they brought it out, that's what they had. So that was a bummer and we didn't realize it until we ate it. Other than that, the restaurant was really good at working with us to do no sauce, saute everything in EVOO, and switch out sides. We also went to a movie Friday night and resisted the popcorn/soda! 

I did notice that I got little to no sleep Thursday night, was exhausted Friday morning, but then I had a lot of energy the rest of the day. I am guessing it's from this, so that was encouraging!

Hope everyone has a successful weekend!

How is everyone feeling at the midway point? 

I made it through the weekend with life and limb intact: no kitchen fires, or general catastrophes, though my instant pot decided to throw a temper tantrum while I was experimenting with compliant chicken tikka masala, and for some reason my jar of ghee refused to open (it was already open, not like a new jar...go figure). My husband thinks there is a kitchen devil trying to torment me. Regardless, forward march into the land of NSV's!  

Here's to making a promise to yourself and sticking to it. Here's to asking ourselves how our old habits have served us whenever we feel the cravings set in. Here's to daring to step out of our comfort zones.  Keep on keeping on you guys!

9 hours ago, ashleypm said:

This totally inspired me this weekend - thanks @DaniG818!!

Tonight I made some sweet potato toast to have with breakfast this week - can't wait to top it with Avocado, eggs, and all sorts of fun stuff!

I'm start to feel the smallest hint of tiger blood I think, though I still question EVERYTHING when I see a pastry at the coffee shop when I'm about to order my unsweetened almond milk latte haha!

Good on you! Congrats ... I don't really know how to work the forum quote/like/reply thing so hopefully you get this message. May the tiger blood flow!

4 hours ago, DaniG818 said:

Hope everyone has a successful weekend!

How is everyone feeling at the midway point? 

I made it through the weekend with life and limb intact: no kitchen fires, or general catastrophes, though my instant pot decided to throw a temper tantrum while I was experimenting with compliant chicken tikka masala, and for some reason my jar of ghee refused to open (it was already open, not like a new jar...go figure). My husband thinks there is a kitchen devil trying to torment me. Regardless, forward march into the land of NSV's!  

Here's to making a promise to yourself and sticking to it. Here's to asking ourselves how our old habits have served us whenever we feel the cravings set in. Here's to daring to step out of our comfort zones.  Keep on keeping on you guys!

Success! A weekend away was 100% compliant...and I wasn't super tempted (NSV). I took some time and recognized my not so healthy eating patterns (drinking 1 or 2 glasses of wine with a nice dinner, eating bread, etc). I abstained from it all and still had a great time. The key was to prep ALL MY MEALS before leaving home. I had this huge cooler with us that my husband called my "lunchbox". Ha ha. I had a nice steak at my husband's bday dinner that had only salt and pepper on it, a bare baked potato and some steamed squash. The Chef at the resort we stayed at was super supportive. I prepped: breakfast sausage, chicken meatballs, spaghetti squash (and sauce), cauliflower mash, coleslaw with homemade dressing, chicken salad, mayo, hard boiled eggs, different types of lettuce, lots of fresh veggies and fruit, nuts and PLENTY of La Croix!

I ate better than any other road trip I've been on!

I hope everyone else persevered as well -- it's worth it!

We had a good weekend (my husband is on this journey with me). We went to the LA County Fair on Saturday and DID NOT EAT A THING, even though there was food EVERYWHERE! We made sure we ate a big breakfast before we left. And after the fair, we dashed on over to In-n-Out and had a compliant double-double. We devoured them! Sunday we were with family and brought our own food (while everyone else was eating hot dogs and chips). It was a little tempting to take "just one bite" of the chips, but I resisted.

I made the classic chili recipe from the Whole30 book and will have that for dinner tonight.

21 hours ago, Wasabibuzz said:

Success! A weekend away was 100% compliant...and I wasn't super tempted (NSV). I took some time and recognized my not so healthy eating patterns (drinking 1 or 2 glasses of wine with a nice dinner, eating bread, etc). I abstained from it all and still had a great time. The key was to prep ALL MY MEALS before leaving home. I had this huge cooler with us that my husband called my "lunchbox". Ha ha. I had a nice steak at my husband's bday dinner that had only salt and pepper on it, a bare baked potato and some steamed squash. The Chef at the resort we stayed at was super supportive. I prepped: breakfast sausage, chicken meatballs, spaghetti squash (and sauce), cauliflower mash, coleslaw with homemade dressing, chicken salad, mayo, hard boiled eggs, different types of lettuce, lots of fresh veggies and fruit, nuts and PLENTY of La Croix!

That is some heavy duty prep! SO awesome. Prepping is the key to this but it is such a commitment. Awesome job!

On 9/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, Wasabibuzz said:

That's Awesome!!! 

And also, the link below has probably been one of my favorites so far. I'm gonna make another batch of this in the near future.

https://www.wholekitchensink.com/mediterranean-sausage-hash/

Don't have a go-to recipe to share, I admit I've been a lazy Whole30-er, relying mostly on eggs, sweet potatoes, avocados and homemade pico de gallo. I also made one of the dressings from the Whole30 book, with olive oil, eggs and lemon juice. I find that goes well with everything, too. 

On 9/25/2018 at 5:07 PM, Wasabibuzz said:

Does anyone want to share their most favorite recipes so far? Mine has been a chicken salad recipe (link below), the North African Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potato Noodles (from Whole30 Fast & Easy), and the Cauliflower Mash (from Whole30).

https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/07/11/paleo-whole30-chicken-salad/

The heroine chicken on no crumbs left is a winner. Requires some planning due to the marinade, but worth it. 

https://nocrumbsleft.net/2015/12/23/heroine-chicken/

Also salmon cakes are great from well fed

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

Hope everyone is doing great!

Archived