Starting WHOLE30 Sept 10

Readyfor30!

On 9/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, Readyfor30! said:

Anyone out there staring their W30 on 9/10? I was going to start it on 9/3 but has things come up. Looking for accountability. I’m a 55 y-o and looking to change my relationship with food (as well as lose some weight!). 

I started sep 10 to!! How is it going for you so far?! First week and a little around day 15 were hard for me but seems easy breezy now... hopefully that lasts! Any significant changes your happy about so far? I’m 28 about to be 29 and needed to get a hold of my eating before I ate my way to 200 lbs which I was only 170 when I started but was spiraling out of control since I gained 23 lbs in 6 months

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Whole 30ers! Am still on track despite a crazy stressful week at work. Am going away for the weekend and haven't had time to prep so a little apprehensive. Isn't it great to have less days to go than more - really helps to keep me on track as would be such a shame to abandoned the goal now. No longer sluggish which feels wonderful and am finding vegetables are tasting sweeter than normal (an NSV?)

My favourite recipe is Basic Mayonnaise from Melissa's book. So easy to make and make anything taste good. I don't cook a lot of recipes as I find it easier to just prep vegetable on Sunday (roast, steam etc) and then cook protein during the week. 

Good luck everyone in the final third! Stay strong.  

Welcome @CassieK! Glad to hear you're having success with the program and gaining control of your eating :) It's Saturday here in Washington, halfway through the weekend, and only one more weekend to go! Friday and Saturday seem to be the hardest days for me to remain compliant. @RedPetal I love the mayo recipe, too. The first time I made it I added the oil to quickly and it went from whipped and creamy to liquid, so I used it as a salad dressing and loved it. My NSV: I've noticed my clothes are fitting better already, and I am not eating as much as I used to. After a late breakfast, I am not hungry until around 4pm, so I snack and then have dinner around 7. I like it. Keep up the good work everyone. 

It's Saturday night, and it was a hectic day. I panicked a bit when I realized I hadn't eaten lunch as of 1:30 (I had breakfast at 7am). I was rushing out the door and grabbed some leftovers - beet and citrus salad and a chicken sausage. Hey, it was better than nothing and actually tasted great! I'm finding that it pays to double batch recipes just in case. I do miss eating with my family, though. My husband just forges ahead and makes dinner for himself and my daughter. While they are both supportive, they won't go Whole30. Oh well.

The North African Chicken and Sweet Potatoes knocked my socks off again tonight. I'm loving the flavors.

NSV? More energy for sure. No need for snacking. No food cravings. Hydrated. More alert. Shoulder impingement is MUCH better (how strange), no bloating...

I admit. I. Do. Miss. My. Wine. But, honestly, I don't know if I'll go back to my daily glass or two. While I love it, it has always made me feel drowsy, puffy, sleepless and lethargic. That's what you get for loving a neurotoxin, I guess :-).

Anyone thinking they've changed their diet for the long term, or are you excited about the reintroduction of noncompliant food?

@Wasabibuzz I am definitely planning on trying to stick to mostly compliant foods with the exception of adding back grains (assuming they don't make me feel horrible when reintroduced). I'm going to try to hold off on alcohol until special occasions, because now that I've been through a ton of social situations without it, I realize I don't necessarily need it. I do feel a lot better in general and would like to continue feeling this way. Basically going to ACTUALLY do everything in moderation, aka not binge on sweets when I see them. Now I know my body can function without them and I won't die if I see a cookie and don't eat it :) 

One thing I'm definitely going to do is not buy anything with added sugar except for maybe bacon, which I eat infrequently. Until I did Whole30, I never realized all the things that sugar was added to!

Here are some of my favorite recipes:

For reintroduction, I'm doing the 10 day reintroduction from the Whole 30 Day-by-Day journal!

Hope everyone is doing well. I got sick last week but was able to stay compliant thanks to getting my husband in on meal prep :). Less than a week until reintroduction! I plan on reintroducing to see how things impact me, but then going back to a Whole30/Whole9 lifestyle. I realized I do not really miss anything. Never had much of a sugar demon outside from the cliched chocolate cravings during my cycle, and I never really liked pasta, or rice or beans, or tofu, or peanut butter. I Just ate them out of habit, or in the case of pasta and peanut butter, because it was convenient. But I realized that I prefer zoodles and they are much faster since I don't cook them just add them to warm sauce. My goal for reintroduction is to see how the more staple foods foods impact me so that I can relax a bit in social situations, but since I love the foods on Whole30 and have gotten the food prep part down to a very efficient process I really plan on sticking to this and relaxing a bit when I go out to dinner - which is usually only once a week. Good luck for the home stretch and reintroduction everyone!

Can't believe one week to go! I plan on having 2 glasses of wine for my reintroduction, then limit it to special occasions. I'm feeling good and feel like my eyes have been open to all of the added sugars in the everyday foods I was eating... I used to think hot sauces and salsas were healthy additions. I will also relax when dining out, but would like to continue with Whole30 living. Since my parents and sister eat this way as well, it's easier for me. Now just to get my husband and kids on board :)

I've not nearly thought about reintroduction enough, too focused on Tuesday and completing the 30 days. Must get myself up to speed. Looking forward to a glass of wine, but have enjoyed breaking the habit of coming home from a hard day and rewarding myself with a glass or two. I'm still getting stomach aches and bloating (less painful than before due to taking supplements) but I think by doing the whole30 I've narrowed down the cause more accurately (fodmap unfriendly fruit!). I don't miss grains and cereals except at breakfast and am looking forward to greek yoghurt. My biggest reward has been better sleep and not waking up during the night. The benefits of sleeping well are priceless! Anyone tempted to go for the a Whole45? My daughter's 18th birthday is tonight and this will be a tough one - how does one celebrate without champagne?

Good luck everyone on the final weekend and days. Stay strong!

On 9/30/2018 at 12:51 AM, Wasabibuzz said:

I admit. I. Do. Miss. My. Wine. But, honestly, I don't know if I'll go back to my daily glass or two. While I love it, it has always made me feel drowsy, puffy, sleepless and lethargic. That's what you get for loving a neurotoxin, I guess :-).

Anyone thinking they've changed their diet for the long term, or are you excited about the reintroduction of noncompliant food?

This is my first post in this particular forum, and I'm excited to find y'all here! I officially started my W30 on Sept. 13th, although I had a "soft start" on the 10th (i.e. was eating W30-ish without worrying too much about hidden sugars. Oh, and there was that 1/2 glass of Jameson... ;-) Anyway, I really resonate with missing the glass of wine! Especially on these end-of-summer hot days where husband and friends and I are all chilling on the porch and everyone's drinking a dry rosé except yours truly. My solution? A nice berry-flavored kombucha mixed with selzer. Like, 1 part kombucha, 3 parts selzer. It's not sweet (which is how I like my wine), but has great flavor and is very refreshing. It's a great gut healer to boot!

This is my 4th attempt at the W30. My first went great: 45 days before I reintroduced, and I felt amazing. The 2nd and 3rd weren't as successful (I didn't quite make it 30 days, and reintroduction was basically nonexistent). I've been gluten and dairy free for about 2 years now (except for when I fell face first into some grocery store birthday cake about 10 days before beginning this round of W30.. #facepalm). Today is day 24 and I feel confident I'll make it, and confident that I need to continue past day 30 with little to no changes to the plan!

It's been going pretty well, but I'd love to poll the group for some suggestions/support. I'm 4 months post-partum and full time breastfeeding. W30 hasn't impacted my milk supply, and it has really diminished some of the bad PP joint pain I had been dealing with. The thing that I've struggled with the most is sticking to the meal template, and dealing with cravings. I eat more nuts and nut butter than I wish I did, and don't often get in 3 square meals a day. I know that at this stage I am in survival mode (baby is in the midst of his 4 month sleep regression.. eesh) so I have to be forgiving of myself, but my question is whether people have some suggestions for how to deal with cravings! Anyone been successful in cutting out nuts, nut butters/ fruit? Part of me thinks it's ok because I really need the calories, but I also would like to avoid having an imbalance of Omega 6 fatty acids. 

OK, I'll sign off here. Grateful for this group!!

• Moderators

Hi, @justinefl. I would suggest keeping things other than nuts and nut butters around and easily available. Hard boiled or deviled eggs could be made ahead and are easy to grab from the fridge when you're hungry. Pre-cook other options like frittatas or egg muffins, chicken, burger patties, or meatballs. Keep olives, avocados, packets of compliant guacamole (some of Wholly Guacamole brand are compliant), keep chopped vegetables ready to go in the fridge, precook pans of roasted root vegetables. If you like jerky or meat bars, there are several compliant brands available that you could keep around as well. 

As a nursing mom, you really should be aiming to eat four full meals, or three meals and two mini meals. You can also have more than that if you need it. 

Do remember that you have to take the time to take care of yourself or you're not going to be able to take care of your family. If you're just getting busy and forgetting to eat, set a timer. Do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. 

And I almost forgot about your question about cravings -- my guess is if you prioritize eating meals on time so that you're getting plenty of food, your cravings are going to diminish and possibly disappear. Your body is most likely telling you it needs food so that it has the energy to do all the stuff it needs to be doing right now -- healing your body, keeping that little one healthy and growing, and doing all the stuff you need to do all day. If you get your meals sorted and you're still dealing with cravings, come back and ask, but I really think they're largely about you needing to eat full meals every day.

I’ve decided that since I’ve not done enough reading about reintroduction I’m going to wait awhile. My sweet little daughter is super sad that I’m not planning on “finishing” on Tuesday. She wants me to share her ice cream with her. I think she somehow feels the pressure of the food restrictions more than I do! Note that she is NOT doing the Whole30. She (and my husband) can’t fathom that I’m not really missing any particular food. It boggles their minds. Ha ha. 

I am going to get on the scale, though. I’m curious, but not holding any expectation around the number. I feeling too good to be centered on weight loss. 

I had not run AT ALL during this challenge. I started this on 9/10, and had returned from a month long vacation on 8/15 (where I had seriously slacked off and ate ALL THE THINGS). My goal was to get back into running 5x a week, but I chose this instead. I really couldn’t have focused on both. Now that I have a good grasp of this new way of eating, I’m ready to lace up my running shoes!

We’ll se where Tiger Blood takes me!

2 days to go. I’m so proud of us all! I really didn’t think I could do it! Did you?

On 9/19/2018 at 11:08 AM, DaniG818 said:
1 hour ago, Readyfor30! said:

Happy that I made it to Day 30 without any slip ups at all! Researching reintroduction. I have to admit, I'm a little anxious to get it all in and see what works and what doesn't.

CONGRATS, EVERYONE!

We did it! How did it end up for everyone?? I know it's not about this at all, but I was curious since I had just done a body scan at the gym in August so I did one today. I lost 8# - 6 of that being fat, and 2% of my overall body fat percentage. Really happy with that and all of the other NSVs along the way! 

Congratulations everyone!

We did it! I actually marked my calendar for tomorrow, so this is a nice surprise! Decided not to step on the scale, feeling good with the NSVs, so going to ride this wave. Congrats, everyone! I never thought I could do this, and I'm sure my success was partially due to the accountability I felt to the group. Thank you all!

3 hours ago, britt1229 said:

We did it! How did it end up for everyone?? I know it's not about this at all, but I was curious since I had just done a body scan at the gym in August so I did one today. I lost 8# - 6 of that being fat, and 2% of my overall body fat percentage. Really happy with that and all of the other NSVs along the way! 

Congratulations everyone!

Wow - yey for the NSV (and the 8#)!

I did step on the scale this morning and estimated I lost 3 to 4 pounds. My waist is still the same, but somehow my clothes are fitting better. Maybe it's because I'm feeling better? Who knows. I wasn't expecting any great weight loss since my body fights HARD to stay at 150# (even if I'm running like a mad dog and eating super healthy). I haven't taken a selfie of my "after" Whole30 body. I took one at the gym on Day 1. Not expecting a huge difference given that it's only been 30 days.

I'm continuing on until I decide about reintroduction...or not?

I’m so excited we did this! I am not really ready to reintroduce as the foods feel natural to me but I will so I know how I am impacted. I finally got my sleep sorted in the last few days. With the exception of having to take NyQuil because I got a cold I stayed completely compliant  Muslim is clear and I have tons of energ! I did get on the scale and lost 9 lbs and one inch everywhere (except for my boobs. Lost three there because...boobs). But most importantly I’ve rediscovered my love of cooking and don’t feel like this was a “diet” at all. And i have the energy to cook after work. It feels more like an effort NOT to eat this way. I’m amazed that o don’t have cravings. Congrats to all. 

21 hours ago, DaniG818 said:

I couldn't have said it better! ^^ ditto ^^. I got on the scale again this morning and it's telling a different story - 6.8 pounds lost. Maybe I'll step on it tomorrow and it will add another two (ha ha ha). I STILL HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT TO RESPOND ON THIS FORUM. Oh well...:-)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wasabibuzz said:

If you hit the quote button on a post you want to quote, be sure your cursor is outside the box when you type. Or you can tag the person you're responding to by typing the @ symbol and then, without putting in a space, start typing their user name and a list should pop up, keep typing until you see the name you want to tag and then click on it. That will result in something like this: @Wasabibuzz and the person should get a notification they've been tagged.

There is no way to reply to a particular message like you might have seen in some forums, where replies show up after the post they're replying to, regardless of the time and date they're posted. It's just a different format that different forums use.

Archived