Cranberry-Bacon Meatballs

The Primal Belle

I made this recipe for two people with the intention of having leftovers for the next day’s lunch. The actual serving size varies on your needs.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

2 pounds ground beef

5 strips uncooked bacon, chopped into tiny pieces

3/4 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened or sweetened with apple juice, chopped into tiny pieces

1 ½  TBSP Penzey’s BBQ of the Americas Spice or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, white pepper, ginger, allspice and paprika

3 pinches of salt

1 egg

In a large bowl, add your egg and whisk. Then add the rest of the ingredients, mashing with your hands until thoroughly mixed. Shape into 12 meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter and place on a greased baking baking sheet. You could do smaller ones as well. Alternatively, use a silicone mat or for easy clean-up, line the pan with foil and grease it.  Bake for 20-22 minutes and then broil for 4 minutes but this may need to be adjusted depending on your oven. I always use a meat thermometer to make sure the temperature is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

From my website: http://theprimalbelle.com/?p=481 

cranberry bacon meatballs.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 2:01 AM, Lauraco said:

Where did you find unsweetened dried cranberries?  I have looked in about 6 grocery stores - a couple of them being specialty stores geared toward organic and healthy foods, and I can't find them anywhere!

I make my own. It's very easy. Put a bag of fresh cranberries into a bowl. Heat up a cup (more if you have a lot of berries) of apple juice to not quite boiling and cover cranberries with it. Let sit for 8 hours or longer in the fridge - I often leave mine overnight. Drain and pat dry - spread on a silicon baking sheet (like a silpat) or parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 160F and put berries in for as long as it takes to dry them. Ususally a 4-6 hours will do the trick - sometimes longer if there's lots of natural humidity. 

@Jihanna I just saw your post and link. I have googled and searched Amazon and never got your cranberry link to come up - thank you!  I think I'm going to try making my own first, but happy to have this option.  I am way too over-optimistic about how much I can get done in the day, and my vegetable dish -making is suffering :)

Archived