Thyroid disease

Struck

I have Hashimotos disease and I did whole 30 and doing that time my TSH went from 0.5 to 20. Usually when I loose weight (which I dropped 10 pounds) in 30 days I would have expected TSH to actually drop and need less synthroid. Has anyone else had this happen to them? 

• 2 weeks later...

I was on 137mg a day when I started whole 30. On day 55 my TSH was 18. Day after it was 20. I repeated it because I felt hyperthyroid, not hypo and was down 10 pounds. I thought lab made a mistake also. They increased dose to 137 ulternating with 150. I couldn’t eat for over a week so wasn’t eating much at all. When labs repeated TSH was 0.7 which was 9 days later. When I went to endocrinologist he told me a diet high in Biotin gives false lab results and therefore the TSH was probably low and not high. So when the doctor treated my hypothyroidism based on TSH results it threw me into hyperthyroidism. I couldn’t keep anything down and heart rate was over 100 resting. It was horrible. I felt great for most of whole30 experience until this happened. Now I’m scared to go back on the diet. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Struck said:

I was on 137mg a day when I started whole 30. On day 55 my TSH was 18. Day after it was 20. I repeated it because I felt hyperthyroid, not hypo and was down 10 pounds. I thought lab made a mistake also. They increased dose to 137 ulternating with 150. I couldn’t eat for over a week so wasn’t eating much at all. When labs repeated TSH was 0.7 which was 9 days later. When I went to endocrinologist he told me a diet high in Biotin gives false lab results and therefore the TSH was probably low and not high. So when the doctor treated my hypothyroidism based on TSH results it threw me into hyperthyroidism. I couldn’t keep anything down and heart rate was over 100 resting. It was horrible. I felt great for most of whole30 experience until this happened. Now I’m scared to go back on the diet. 

I admittedly don't know much about thyroid but does your doctor know you didn't eat for a week?  That's going to significantly change hormones over the short term as well as potentially impact medication you're still taking while you're not eating.  Did you explain to your doctor what you've been eating as part of the program as well as the week without eating? 

Archived