Shannon's Whole30

xx_firefly

Since I had things with sugar sneakily in them.... (<_<) I decided to restart today.

Breakfast: Eggs with spinach, kale & salsa, yam "toasts" (2 small pieces), coffee with nutpods creamer

Lunch: Baked salmon with tomatoes, bell peppers & sweet potatoes

Snack: A bite of chix salad, wholly guacamole cup & apples/bell peppers

Dinner: The same salmon meal as lunch, over a bed of greens with orange pieces & lemon garlic dressing.

Overall, I feel like I've done pretty well. I've noticed that my cravings are decreasing in intensity, but they are still there (whenever I see & smell good food being made). I'm also starting to feel fuller for longer...:o That's a bit surprising to me, but I guess that's what happens when you change your diet?? Before, I would constantly feel hungry (which I know is normal), but now...not so much. I didn't even eat a snack that I brought to my 2-3 hour class (just in case).

Breakfast: Eggs with spinach, kale & salsa, yam "toasts" (2 small pieces), coffee with nutpods creamer

Lunch: Baked salmon with tomatoes, bell peppers & sweet potatoes

Snack: A bite of chix salad, wholly guacamole cup & apples/bell peppers

Dinner: The same salmon meal as lunch, over a bed of greens with orange pieces & lemon garlic dressing.

Day 1

Breakfast: Eggs & avocado, coffee with nutpods creamer

Lunch: Chicken salad lettuce wraps, bell peppers & apples w/ New Primal Ranch, water

Dinner: Steak & 1 potato (with no dressings at all! #NSV), water w/ lemon wedge

Day 2

Breakfast: Bowl of fruit (since I was experiencing some nausea that has gone away now), coffee with nutpods creamer

Snack: Epic lemon bar (b/c of said symptoms above)

Lunch: Chicken salad lettuce wraps, bell peppers & apples w/ New Primal Ranch, water

Dinner: steamed mussels w/ cilantro, bunless burger w/ lettuce, onions & pickles (all compliant), water

Overall: I just need to focus on staying committed to the program. Whenever I have done diets in the past, I usually flame out at about the 9 day mark, so I'll see how this goes. I've already gotten used to the unsweetened coffee and I simply feel like I am eating more veggies & fruit without having to consciously think about doing so. 

Day 3

Breakfast: Bowl of fruit (still feeling a little unwell), coffee with nutpods creamer

Lunch: Kettle fire bone broth, 1/2 avocado w/ salt, Lime La Croix

Snack: bits and pieces of sausage & cauliflower fried rice that I was prepping

Dinner: Salad w/ grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, olives & oil/vinegar dressing.

Overall: Thank goodness I'm starting to feel better! 

Day 4

Breakfast: yam "toast" with 1 poached egg, coffee & creamer

Snack/Post-workout: Chomps stick, water

Lunch: leftover salad from last night w/ tangerine, avocado, and lemon garlic dressing, water

Dinner: Chili lime burger w/ salsa, avocado "salsa", fried egg, 2 pickles, water

Overall: I feel so much better! I'm also not really feeling hungry in-between meals (which is a good sign) and I can tell that I am really loosing weight. For some reason, energy is still the same (but it's not getting any worse), and maybe I'm starting to feel that I'm not having an afternoon crash. Cravings are really going away for me. So, today was a successful day for me. :)

Day 5

Breakfast: chia pudding (chia seeds, nutpods creamer, cinnamon) with strawberries, 1/2 peach, 1 tangerine, coffee & creamer

Snack (Pre-lunch): a few bites of sausage, greens & sweet potato hash & cauliflower fried rice

Lunch: Sausage with peppers & onions, water

Dinner: fajita salad (lettuce, tomato, chicken, peppers, onions, wholly guacamole, lemon garlic dressing), water

Overall: I'm feeling really proud of myself of making it to day 5 (again!) I'm already planning next week's menu, so hopefully that will all work out

Day 6

Breakfast: sausage, sweet potato, greens has with 1 fried egg, coffee & creamer

Lunch: soup and salad, water with lemon

Dinner: cauliflower fried rice with chicken & kim (costco seaweed snacks...the ones with sunflower & sesame oil)

Overall: Today seemed like a bit of a downer.....because I had a larabar in the afternoon. I had to have something sweet after eating some 100% cacao and hint cherry water, and that was the only thing I carried on a day trip to the beach. I will definitely make sure that I make better choices in the future.

Day 7

Breakfast: scrambled eggs (with a hint of almond milk), salsa, 1/2 avocado, 1 mandarin, coffee & creamer

Lunch, sausage, sweet potato, & greens hash with Matty's BBQ sauce, 1 mandarin, freeze-dried strawberries, water

Dinner: 3 lettuce tacos w/ pico de gallo & guacamole, water

Overall: I officially made it to the week one mark! Also, being back at work for the first time in 4 days made my cravings for potato chips & sweets go back up again...but I managed to not cave in (#NSV!) I'm writing my weekly menu after typing this, so here's to a solid week 2 (for everyone who is at that point)

Day 8

Breakfast: Tomato & eggs w/ ketchup & avocado, coffee & creamer

Lunch: Tuna salad with Epic stick, BBQ sauce & trail mix, water

Dinner: Steak salad (with lots of veggies & avocado), chimichurri sauce & roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes

Snack: chia w/ creamer & freeze dried strawberries

Overall: I think I figured out that tuna salad just by itself is not for me...at least the rest of what I ate was filling enough. Also, the dessert bug hit me today because I had family over for Sunday dinner, and they cooked chocolate pudding. I figured I would do some whipped cream with strawberries, but that didn't work out (hence Plan B as described above). I felt like I was really being left out because the rest of my family had the chocolate pudding (which smelled amazing), but I didn't even lick a hint of that. (#NSV!) I know that dessert if frowned upon in this program, but I whipped it up just because I wanted to be "included". This is actually the first time I've had a dessert that wasn't a piece of fruit in quite some time....normally I don't really eat dessert that often.

Day 9

Breakfast: Hash with ketchup, coffee & creamer

Snack: Trail Mix

Lunch: Chicken Salad, trail mix

Dinner: Steak/Chicken salad with baked potato (+ghee, salt, pepper, New Primal Ranch)

Overall: It was a solid day. :) I've been researching other breakfasts to try (to change up my egg routine), and I'm already planning for week 3 (because it's never too early to start planning....right?) 

Day 10

Breakfast: Eggs with salsa & guacamole, 1 tangerine, coffee & creamer

Lunch: Fajita Salad with tomato, avocado salsa, lime juice & balsamic dressing, 1 tangerine, water

Snack: Pistachios, 1 tangerine, 9(?) grapes [spread throughout the afternoon]

Dinner: a FANTASTIC feast of Samgyeopsal, water with lemon

Overall: So first off, I decided to stop by Whole Foods after an eye appointment. I was looking at their bulk selection of nuts and came across pistachios that only had high oleic sunflower (I think) oil and sea salt, so I figured what the heck, I'll just go and get a little bag of those. A lot more ended up in the bag, but I just went with it. It will be interesting to see how I deal with those because when I get the craving for them, pistachios become a SWYPO type of food for me. I managed to do well with just a few finger-full(s) of them today on the way home.

But along came dinner. I had a chili-lime burger all ready to go, but I ended up making a Costco run with my parents (getting some compliant prosciutto). Afterwards, my mom decides that she wants to eat somewhere (since she didn't feel like cooking anything), so we mulled it over in the car and came to the conclusion that we could go to an Asian restaurant and order Samgyeopsal, which is variations of pork with just sea salt. It ended up being a great idea, as I got to eat something that is becoming one of my authentic Korean favorites. And at the restaurant, I managed to avoid a lot of the common side dishes (and white rice) that normally go with a meal like this, which felt like a HUGE victory to me. [side note: a lot of side dishes either contain some kind of sugar or soy in them, so basically if I didn't know what kind marinade/sauce a side dish had, I didn't even bother]. I feel fantastic on two front tonight!!! (like....super happy)

But now the only question remains is......will I reek of garlic tomorrow at work?

Day 11

Breakfast: Chia seeds in creamer with strawberries & 1 tangerine, coffee and creamer

Snack: Dried fruit

Lunch: Chicken salad with a light mix of pistachios and cashews, beef jerky, dried fruit, water

Snack: 1/6(ish) handful of pistachios

Dinner: Chili lime chicken burger with fried egg, guacamole, & salsa, baked potato with ghee, salt & pepper, ranch, water

Snack/Dessert: 1/7(ish) handful of pistachios & strawberries

Overall: Didn't smell any garlic on me (thank goodness)......tried making whipped cream for dessert again (but didn't work, so I settled for strawberries & nuts).....thinking now that I need to starting zeroing in on my snacking as of late. I'm a cashier, and I like to keep busying throughout the day, so I've been eating something on a short break for a lot of days. It really helps, but those pistachios man......

Day 13

Breakfast: Leftover hash & eggs with ketchup, one tangerine, coffee and creamer

In between: 1 cold pressed juice

Snack/Late lunch: apple & guacamole wrapped in turkey, water

Snack: little bits & pieces of meal prepping (potato cubes, uncured hotdog....I'll explain)

Dinner: Chorizo & salsa verde lettuce taco with jalapeno & onion, pan-fried potatoes with ketchup, water

Overall: Since it's late.....

Snacking was a tad bit better. Didn't really feel hungry after having juice while going grocery shopping (it was apple/kale/lemon juice), so I had a little something. I ended up making some sweet potato toasts, and a Mediterranean 'breakfast' hash using hotdogs instead of breakfast sausage, and it was quite tasty. :) But maybe something else I need to work on is my consumption of potatoes. I feel like I'm eating wayyy too many potatoes (but none are chips/commercially prepared). I just love potatoes too much, and I've never really liked sweet potatoes or any other starchy veggie in fact (not the biggest fan of squash, turnip, parsnip, rutabaga.....) Just something to consciously think about I guess

Day 14

Breakfast: A bowl of strawberries & tangerines, coffee & creamer

Snack: Epic Lemon Bar

Lunch: Cauliflower fried rice with tomatoes & chicken, water

(Then I snacked on some things I was prepping for the week)

Dinner: The rest of my hash with meatballs, chimichurri, salsa & ketchup, water

Overall: This was a good day...not spectacular, but not horrible either. I made a batch of meatballs today, but I made them too salty. I also made a batch of chimichurri, and that turned out to be salty as well. But in my house, there's an implied rule that you should use what you have made and don't throw anything out. I can already feel the days of dry mouth coming....:unsure:

ACTUAL Day 14

Breakfast: Eggs, 1/2 avocado, coffee and creamer

Snack: Dried goji berries

Lunch: Cauliflower fried rice, Mediterranean hash, 1/2 avocado, 1 tangerine, water

Snack: Epic bar

Dinner: Beef burger with a potato & BBQ sauce

Since I didn't get to post this yesterday, here it is. The end of the day was too hectic for me to post. 

Day 15

Breakfast: Eggs w/ fajita veggies, 1/2 avocado, salsa, coffee & creamer

Snack: Dried goji berries

Lunch: Fajita salad with guacamole & balsamic dressing, 1 tangerine, water

Dinner: Homemade shrimp & meatballs with homemade tomato sauce, 1 baked potato (w/ ghee, salt, pepper, ranch dressing, and then some more tomato sauce), salad with balsamic dressing, water.

Overall: Man... the Sunday dessert blues hit me all over again. My sister & her kids were over, and of course, one of them wanted to bake a cake from scratch. They made chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting, and I managed to not even take a small lick of anything (yay will-power!)

And also...I'm at the half-way point. YAY!

Day 16

Breakfast: 2 tangerines and 1 nectarine, coffee & creamer

Lunch: Meatballs with 1 avocado, salsa, chimichurri, and water

Dinner: Egg drop soup with simple salad/balsamic dressing, water

Overall: Meh......it wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't horrible either. I'm simply just.....keeping on keeping on. I made some interesting egg drop soup (which I've never really had before). It was good and everything, but maybe I'm going to add some meat to it for dinner tomorrow night.

Also, my mouth still seems really dry (probably from all the really salty foods I've been ingesting as of late).

Also, is it too early to start thinking about reintroductions? Just curious

Congrats on making it past the halfway point!!!!! YAY, you!

I echo your question about reintroductions. I'm not thinking about them because I'm desperate to eat certain things, but more because I have some certainty around what I will not reintroduce at all if I can help it. But I'm also thinking about those things I think are still healthy for me, and how to sensibly reinsert them back into my diet. Example: instead of grains with every meal, I can see having a (non-glutiny) grain with one meal a day. It seems to me that those kinds of thoughts are ways of integrating elements of Whole30 into a sustainable lifestyle.

How are you thinking about it?

11 hours ago, Unibok said:

Congrats on making it past the halfway point!!!!! YAY, you!

I echo your question about reintroductions. I'm not thinking about them because I'm desperate to eat certain things, but more because I have some certainty around what I will not reintroduce at all if I can help it. But I'm also thinking about those things I think are still healthy for me, and how to sensibly reinsert them back into my diet. Example: instead of grains with every meal, I can see having a (non-glutiny) grain with one meal a day. It seems to me that those kinds of thoughts are ways of integrating elements of Whole30 into a sustainable lifestyle.

How are you thinking about it?

For the reintroduction phase, I'm planning on doing a semi-fast reintroduction of legumes, non-gluten things, dairy, limited natural/organic sugars, and then gluten. I want to see if I have any icky reactions to these food groups and then break it down from there. The reintroduction phase is when I've fallen apart in the past, so I'll be putting a lot more focus into that.

Day 17

Breakfast: Mediterranean hash with salsa and ketchup, coffee & creamer)

Snack: dried goji berries

Lunch: the last of my cauliflower fried rice with mediterranean hash, 1/2 avocado, 1 tangerine, water

Dinner: Leftover egg-drop soup with meatballs, roasted seaweed snacks, water

Snack: Grapes

And for anyone remotely interested, this mediterranean hash recipe is KILLER! I tweaked it a bit, but I'm thinking about making another batch for next week.

https://www.wholekitchensink.com/mediterranean-sausage-hash/

Archived