Sept 8 - Oct 7 Whole30

Unibok

Today was the day I couldn't take it anymore: all that relentless meat after meat after meat. It has been feeling so heavy after I eat it, and I really think it slows me down. So, I gave myself permission to have a lovely meatless veggie-filled dinner. I'm writing this the morning after, and it seems that was the right choice. It was the best night's sleep I've had since starting, and I even woke an hour before my alarm clock, alert and ready to go. Looks like there was something behind my growing aversion to meat, and further evidence that this is just a 30-day reboot/elimination experiment and not a lifestyle for me.

With that, here's what today (well, yesterday) looks like:

Day 11 -- My entire kitchen still smells (and feels) like port fat residue. Ugh. So gross.

Breakfast: I decided to use up the last of that pork belly (tasty, but be gone!!) by putting it in my 2-egg scram. Also in the scram, fresh from yesterday's farm pick-up: scallions, yellow pepper, mushrooms, enormous chard leaves and stems, and tomato.

Lunch: On-the-go mishmash of Epic venison bar, 2 mandarin oranges, and an apple with almond butter.

Dinner: Fresh farm stir-fry of napa cabbage, carrots, red pepper, lemongrass, scallions, and cilantro. I added in cashews for fat and protein, and served it over the riced cauliflower. I realize this means I didn't get enough protein today, but oh, how it felt good to eat food that felt so clean. I know Whole30 calls itself "clean," but it does not feel clean at all. It feels heavy and greasy. Tonight's dinner was a much needed respite from the meat-fest.

Today's after-work goal: hit the grocery store for fresh fish and shrimp in an effort to have lighter-feeling proteins, with fats primarily from plant sources like avocado and olives.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:02 PM, BatyaChavaGeee said:

That all sounds so good! I'm going to have to learn to make chimichurri sauce one day. It just sounds cool.

It's so easy to make in a blender, and is basically nothing but a bunch of fresh herbs. Go for it! It's super fresh tasting and fun.

It must be some kind of indicator that for the past two days, I've written my daily log the following day. I simply haven't had the energy or focus or desire to do it at night. In fact, last night I went to bed at 8:00 -- toddler early, right? And I went to bed without my usual night routines that set me up for success the following morning. Today, then, I'm already behind and under the gun. Ugh.

Because of that, I finally had the experience of my body feeling hungry. That may sound bad, but it was very good. I have been eating when the clock tells me to, the portions that the template tells me to (most of the time), but not following the signals of my own body. Ultimately, my goal is for my body to tell me when and what and how much to eat. I'm a long way from there, but this was a great step in the right direction. NSV: feeling actual hunger.

Now hungry, I still needed to tackle the grocery store for fresh fish and shrimp, plus more eggs and mushrooms. For the first time since starting, it was torture to walk through the aisles where I used to find my quick pick-me-up and comfort foods. NSV: I filled my shopping cart only with on-plan items even though I desperately wanted to make my life easier by buying the crap I used to get, and devouring it in the car on my way home. Two blocks later, those cravings were gone. The emotions were left, so I still have to find a way to release them and move on.

With that, here's what Day 12 looked like:

Breakfast: 2-egg scram with the usual yummy veggies

Lunch: leftovers from the previous night's stir-fry, along with its lack of protein (maybe that's why I got so tired?)

Dinner: Portobello Burger Tower, swapping fresh tomato for grilled onion to make it less greasy. With the avocado and beef, there were still plenty to healthy fats and animal protein.

Snack: munched on Greek olives while prepping, because I actually got hungry before dinner (first time since starting that I actually felt hunger! Yay for feeling!)

In addition to being light on the healthy proteins, it sure looks like I also ate almost no carbs because I didn't have any fruit, and there were no starchy veggies in anything I ate. Perhaps no healthy carbs = bedtime at 8:00.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:06 AM, Unibok said:

It's so easy to make in a blender, and is basically nothing but a bunch of fresh herbs. Go for it! It's super fresh tasting and fun.

Hey! Is there any particular chimichurri recipe that you used? I'm going to make a batch of it for my upcoming meals.

10 hours ago, xx_firefly said:

Hey! Is there any particular chimichurri recipe that you used? I'm going to make a batch of it for my upcoming meals.

This one is good: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chimichurri/

Sometimes I substitute other herbs if I have them on hand. Parsley and garlic are must-haves, but then you can play with the other herbs for different flavors. Enjoy!

Last night's early-to-bed must have performed some kind of reboot, because I felt pretty good today. I woke early, ran around like a mad woman to get out of the house early, and had a very full day at work with good focus and strong energy. I think that's what normal is supposed to feel like, right? When I got home, I had time for a short walk at dusk before heading to the kitchen (which, miraculously, no longer feels and smells like pork grease) to broil some fish. I had changed into my freshly washed jeans, hoping to find an NSV of looser fitting jeans ... but no. They feel the same as they did a few weeks ago. That said, my waist feels significantly smaller. We'll see in 17 days, won't we?

With that, here's what Day 13 looks like:

On-the-run breakfast: two apples with mixed nut butter, black coffee

Snacky mishmash lunch: Epic venison bar, two mandarins

Dinner: broiled lake perch with a topping of basil and ghee, served over potatoes, onions, and a bit of fresh tomato.

Two weeks in, and the cooking/dishes/planning/Whole30obsession fatigue has arrived -- and I mean fatigue literally. Bedtime was at 8:30 last night, followed by a deep sound sleep until 7 this morning. What an exciting person I am on a Friday night! Lol. I actually think that some of the fatigue was emotional: I had to attend a cocktail/appetizer function at 5:30, and although I was fine drinking a seltzer with lemon, it was very taxing not to be able to eat any of the available foods they had put out -- and it was dinner time! I was starting to get hungry and there was nothing but off-plan temptations everywhere I looked. I left the party early depleted of energy, and could not face the thought of cooking fish when I got home. Instead, I headed to the grocery store to find something quick and compliant that wasn't just apples and nut butter. 

It took far too long in the store to find something substantive that didn't have hidden sugar. Eventually I came home with a pre-made take-out of roasted potatoes and salmon, which I desperately nibbled on in the car. Once home, I supplemented that with ... you guessed it ... apples and nut butter. Emotionally and physically drained, I went to bed toddler early.

With that, here's what yesterday looked like:

Day 14 -- Now that I've made a concerted effort to include more fish, my house and kitchen smell like fish. All. the. time. I think some of it is coming from the wrappings in the trash can, so I'll need to start taking out the trash every day now. It's a pretty unpleasant way to come home from work, thank you very much. So gross. In other news, I think I might be seeing less back fat when I look in the mirror?

Breakfast: The usual 2-egg scram loaded with veggies and turmeric spice blend, and black tea.

Lunch: leftover (smelly) lake perch over potato/onion/tomato dish.

Snack: apple slices, a mandarin.

Dinner: Nibbles of cold salmon with some icky coagulated goo and cold roasted potatoes in the car; 2 satisfying apples with TJ's mixed nut butter upon arrival home. 

On 9/21/2018 at 12:39 AM, Blair W said:

So question: where did you find non-chicken compliant sausage? I have been on the hunt but unsuccessful so far!

HI Blair, the only one I have found is by D'artagnon, at a specialty store in town. I had no luck at Price Chopper and Hannaford's grocery stores, Trader Joes, or a specialty butcher shop. Here is the one I found in the store: https://www.dartagnan.com/andouille-cajun-style-sausage/product/PSMAN004-1.html

Good luck with the hunt!

Unibok, your journal is really fun and informative. I’m on day 3 of my third W30, and I know it’s not easy, especially while working.  WTG! 

Regarding sausage, a couple days ago I posted some brands I’ve found in my area, and one available nationally (in the frozen section!) under the sourcing food subhead in the forum. I’ve found that finding compliant Chorizo and Italian sausages is much easier.  There are also some dried Spanish Chorizo’s that are compliant that are usually found in the deli section.  Also, a lot of grocery store chains now have apps in which you can search for items, and actually check the ingredients so you’re not shopping blind. Hope that helps. 

Finally, I had forgotten about the night sweats thing from before, and it totally stinks as I discovered last night! LOL

On 9/22/2018 at 3:39 PM, Caseymc said:

Unibok, your journal is really fun and informative. I’m on day 3 of my third W30, and I know it’s not easy, especially while working.  WTG! 

Regarding sausage, a couple days ago I posted some brands I’ve found in my area, and one available nationally (in the frozen section!) under the sourcing food subhead in the forum. I’ve found that finding compliant Chorizo and Italian sausages is much easier.  There are also some dried Spanish Chorizo’s that are compliant that are usually found in the deli section.  Also, a lot of grocery store chains now have apps in which you can search for items, and actually check the ingredients so you’re not shopping blind. Hope that helps. 

Finally, I had forgotten about the night sweats thing from before, and it totally stinks as I discovered last night! LOL

Aw, thank you, Caseymc! And thank you for pointing us in the direction of your compliant sausage thread. Very helpful! My favorite sausages are Italian-style, so I'll be on the lookout for the ones you mentioned. 

One tip about night sweats: garlic may help alleviate them. I'm finding on the days I season with more fresh garlic, I don't have any problem with night sweats or hot flashes. Garlic is known in Ayurvedic medicine to balance hormones, so it makes sense that it would have the same effect on Whole30. Try it and let me know if it works for you. 

Saturday ... hmmmm. Since I didn't actually cook and eat many of the meals I had planned for the week, I didn't need to spend Saturday shopping and planning. I guess that's a silver lining for my grin-and-bear-it week. I also realized what a truly wonderful friend I have here in town. She loves to cook, and she is very inventive in the ways that she accommodates anyone and everyone's dietary restrictions. She had invited me over for dinner while her husband was out of town, and I filled her in on my extensive list of can't-eats. What she came up with was amazing: garlicky lamb kabobs, tomatoes, and eggplant on the outside grill, a pilaf made with riced cauliflower and pine nuts, and an appetizer of olives and a dip made of red pepper and eggplant. Everything was absolutely delicious, and then she topped it off with a platter of fresh pineapple and star fruit. She had wine, I had seltzer, and we both had a lovely evening.

With that, here is what yesterday looked like:

Day 15 -- the official halfway point!!!!!

Breakfast: the usual veggie scram

Lunch: a tapas-like selection of olives, cashews, plums, and smoked andouille sausage (translation, I didn't feel like cooking, and I especially didn't feel like doing the dishes so that I could cook).

Dinner: as above, affectionately prepared by one of the best friends a gal could ask for. She even gave me leftovers to take home (Hello! Monday lunch!).

For weeks, I've been meaning to thaw a pork shoulder from my freezer, and slow cook it into carnitas. Today was the day. I woke early, prepped it, and as I write this log it has about 90 more minutes in the crock pot before it is ready to go. It should make enough for at least 3 lunches and perhaps another quick dinner out of it this week. I'm all about less cooking on weeknights right now.

With that, here's what today looks like:

Day 16 -- over the halfway point, and my yoga pants fit better around my waist. I'm sleeping well every night now, and my energy has stayed consistently strong throughout the day most days. I look forward to whatever Week 3 brings.

Breakfast: leftovers from yesterday's veggie scram (I couldn't finish it yesterday, and only nibbled most of the day, so I guess I really wasn't very hungry).

Lunch: the fennel and tomatillo dish I liked so much last week, this time with pollack at the fish. I will have at least 2 more meals out of those leftovers.

Dinner: the above-mentioned carnitas on delicata squash and a side of avocado slices.

Hoping you all had a lovely Sunday.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:26 AM, Unibok said:

HI Blair, the only one I have found is by D'artagnon, at a specialty store in town. I had no luck at Price Chopper and Hannaford's grocery stores, Trader Joes, or a specialty butcher shop. Here is the one I found in the store: https://www.dartagnan.com/andouille-cajun-style-sausage/product/PSMAN004-1.html

Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks! Much appreciated!!!

A quick update tonight ... I have more to say, but it will have to wait for tomorrow. A very, very, very busy Monday today. Planning paid off, as I had my lunch all ready to go, and spontaneity paid off, as I could throw my dinner plans out the window to join my daughter for an unexpected birthday dinner. Her birthday wasn't unexpected, I just didn't expect to get to spend it with her. Deets below.

With that, here's what today looks like:

Day 17 -- feeling good, past the half-way hump. Sleep has stabilized, energy has stabilized, mood has stabilized. No cravings, no desire for junk food or bread, no dying for a drink. Those are all good things. 

Breakfast: the usual veggie/egg scram with a green (spinach), an aromatic (onion), mushrooms (crimini), and other veggies on hand (just peppers today).

Lunch: leftover pollack w/tomatillo and fennel sauce, with 2 mandarin oranges

Dinner: out, at an actual restaurant. I ordered a bunless beef burger with grilled onions and sautéed mushrooms, avocado on the side. And fries. Really good fries. It was my daughter's 21st birthday, so she had her first legal drink in the U.S., while I was actually content with just water. It was quite a role reversal from all those years when she would drink water while I had a cocktail. We had such a nice time! I have to say, though, that while it was Whole30 compliant, it was a far less "healthy" dish than I would have ordered otherwise. Hours later, I feel a little woozy from the fries -- the first deep-fried food I've had since starting this crazy experiment. I definitely prefer getting my fats through other methods.

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Now for some tough love....

FRIES!!!???  Why oh why! Standard restaurant fries aren’t in any way shape or form compliant:

https://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

I hate to be a negative Nellie, but the oil that they use is almost certainly non-compliant. 

You may have just taken a big ole swan dive off the program half way to the end. Your Whole30, your call.  Just sayin. 

11 hours ago, Caseymc said:

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Now for some tough love....

FRIES!!!???  Why oh why! Standard restaurant fries aren’t in any way shape or form compliant:

https://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

I hate to be a negative Nellie, but the oil that they use is almost certainly non-compliant. 

You may have just taken a big ole swan dive off the program half way to the end. Your Whole30, your call.  Just sayin. 

Ah, that is very helpful, Casey -- thank you. I didn't feel right ordering those fries, and they certainly didn't sit well with me. It was a big mistake, and a completely unintentional one at that. I hear you, though, that whether intentional or not, I blew it. 

I did ask the server specifically about the oil, which sounded to me like it was compliant ... but then again, this is my first (and probably last) Whole30 and I'm likely to make mistakes. The Whole30 rules are simple, except when they aren't. And, frankly, they really aren't simple at all; they pretend to be simple. I read the book, I read the website, I read everything I could but still made an egregious Whole30-ending error on Day 17. Sorry folks, but I have a PhD and apparently I still couldn't memorize all the rules. I did the best I could.

Okay, so thank you for letting me know that I blew it on Day 17 purely by mistake. My instinct to not eat out at all for the 30 days was actually correct, and I should have followed my instinct. That said ...

I have certainly learned a lot of lessons in my 17 days. Most importantly: I don't need grains every day, and I certainly don't need them every meal. Now that I've blown it, I will continue to avoid dairy, added sugar, and gluten-y grains, but I will immediately start eating less meat. I'm sorry, but it is just gross to have to eat that many eggs and that much meat. However: I do need more animal protein than I had been getting. Starting tomorrow, I'll have a bit of quinoa or other pseudo-grains with my stir-fries a few times a week, but not every day. And I will have a drink.

Signing off, wishing you all the best.

Unibok

Unibok, I am truly sorry that I was the one to be the bearer of bad news.  

You’re right, the program rules of non-complaint items can be confusing: eating white potatoes is fine, eating or recreating “junk” food items like French fries is not. Homemade compliant “chips” are acceptable, but store bought compliant ones are not. It sounds somewhat capricious, but the point is to eat clean, and not rely on or recreate snacky, junk foods with compliant ingredients. 

I am glad that to you did take away some good lessons regarding eating habits, and had the opportunity to reevaluate your diet.  And I do agree about the meat thing - it IS a lot of meat and eggs!

I hope that you’ll try another Whole30 sometime in the future as it truly is incredibally beneficial. 

Good luck! And please, have a drink for me.

Archived