W30 Approved Italian Sausage?

It's really easy to make your own. I make my own breakfast patties with ground pork, fennel seeds, fresh sage, chili flakes, salt and pepper. You could google Italian sausage recipes to come up with a good spice blend.

I got some at WF. The brand is "The Original Brat Hans", they're chicken sausage. They have both mild and spicy, no msg, nitrates, nitrites or antibiotics. The ingredients are: chicken, roasted green peppers, roasted red peppers. Then it says "contains less than 2% of the following: chicken broth, anise, black pepper, fennel, mustard, extract from oregano, paprika, red pepper, salt.

Bonus: they're quite tasty and very juicy.

Trader Joe's has ONE kind of sausage with Whole30-compliant ingredients. All the others have some form of sugar. I think it's just called "Italian" but it's in the case with all the other meat.

Yep. Just used it in my breakfast casserole. TJ's Spicy Italian sausage.

I got some at WF. The brand is "The Original Brat Hans", they're chicken sausage. They have both mild and spicy, no msg, nitrates, nitrites or antibiotics. The ingredients are: chicken, roasted green peppers, roasted red peppers. Then it says "contains less than 2% of the following: chicken broth, anise, black pepper, fennel, mustard, extract from oregano, paprika, red pepper, salt.

Bonus: they're quite tasty and very juicy.

I just found these the other day and had a couple with dinner! Tasted great but not really Italian sausage... More of a seasoned chicken loaf product. But I did like them in a pinch , very juicy.... I do make my own Italian sausage and chorizo....

I just found these the other day and had a couple with dinner! Tasted great but not really Italian sausage... More of a seasoned chicken loaf product. But I did like them in a pinch , very juicy.... I do make my own Italian sausage and chorizo....

Fender, I now make my own breakfast and spicy Italian sausage. It's time for Chorizo. Is it paprika that is prominent?

• 3 years later...

I bought trader joe's italian hot sausage yesterday for my fiancee, the ingredients are Pork, water, seasonings, (salt dextrose, lemon extract, spice extractives, sodium lactate).  Is this safe for me?  I don't see msg, sulfates, or carageenans but I'm still not sure because of the dextrose.  I read in the whole 30 book that salt has dextrose in it and salt is acceptable?

• Moderators

Dextrose is a sweetener and in general is not okay as an ingredient. The exception is only for salt, because all iodized salt has dextrose in it, since it has to to help the iodine bind to the salt.

I'm not sure if your label actually says "salt dextrose" with no comma -- I'm not sure what that would be -- or if it says "salt, dextrose" and you just missed the comma -- if it's the latter, you definitely cannot have the sausage. 

Hi Shannon, no I did not miss the comma it reads salt dextrose which is why I thought it would be okay, so it sounds like I am in the clear with this sausage.  I also found another link on the forum that read the Trader Joes Italian sausage is on plan so this definitely helped me answer my question too.  Thanks again!

Archived