Trader Joe’s pesto?

sweetcee

I tried googling and checking the forum for this and didn’t see Trader Joe’s pesto mentioned. Specifically wanted to double check the sunflower / safflower oil as I know it’s recommended to limit it.

ingredients for TJ’s vegan kale, cashew & basil pesto: kale, olive oil blend (olive oil, extra virgin olive oil); water, basil, cashew butter (dry roasted cashews, safflower or sunflower oil); garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper.

I know I can make pesto and have before, but this is good to know just in case!

From: https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yes

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.  Ideally, you’re using high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil; these actually have a pretty favorable fat profile,  similar to extra-virgin olive oil.

I've seen on the forums a bunch where people say it HAS to be high-oleic for home use, but according to the website it's just IDEALLY. Side note: I love that pesto!

Thanks so much! I also love that pesto. I read that line as well and wasn’t sure if it would be appropriate given the home vs restaurant part. The convenience of having a premade pesto is so helpful for when you’ve planned poorly, unexpectedly on the go, have a tiny kitchen, hate dishes, etc! I’d like to try to recreate this myself eventually and would use EVOO. But good to know it’s an option. 

Archived