Newbie, starting October 1st

ajanderson78

Hi everyone! I'm new around here. I'm starting my first round on October 1st. My plan, over the next couple of weeks, is to gradually wean myself off sugar and diet soda, the two things I think will be the hardest for me to stop consuming. I'm also going to use a Whole30 approved coach I found on the website. She has a 6 week program that starts the week before. I know I'm going to need all the support I can get. I'm looking forward to less issues with allergies, anxiety and depression, which I know are all aggravated by my food choices. 

16 hours ago, kjansen727 said:

I'm new here, too, and that's the start date I picked as well! I think I'm going to miss wine the most. I'm working on plans for portable breakfasts. I eat on the run a lot - probably too much. Good luck!

Egg muffin cups are portable and yummy!!!  I'm looking at recipes to make compliant sausage patties as well. I found a great group on FB called Whole30 BEGINNERS  check it out if you're on FB.

Hello! I am also planning to start Oct. 1st. I've been reading the book and doing the things it recommends, like writing down meal ideas, going through our cupboards, making a plan, etc. Cutting diet coke will be hard. I've cut it before but was able to get the caffeine fix in with coffee. I can't handle black coffee so I am already looking for something else... ideally though, it would be nice to wean myself off needing that caffeine, and honestly, I felt so much better when I was drinking water in place of the diet coke. Good luck!

My husband and I are starting on October 1st as well. First timers! I am most anxious about eliminating sugar and all it's sugary things. I see my sugar addiction and never really gave it any voice but judging but the peanut butter cups I can put away without even thinking about it, I want to get that under control. I worry that with Halloween season upon me, I'll find a way to "slip". Black coffee doesn't sound appealing, but tea does. I don't drink alcohol so that should be easy for me. Last night we purged our pantry and it was so eye opening. A full pantry full of grains in plastic bags that are goddess knows how old, boxed foods and pastas that had expired dates on them, soups with legumes, various forms of sugar (stevia, brown, coconut, plain, agave , maple syrup) you name it, we got rid of it. Looking forward to the purge in the fridge closer to Oct 1. 

Diet Coke is a tough one.  I kicked it on my first Whole30 in July (I'll be joining you all on October 1st with my wife for our 2nd round).  I drank a 44oz Coke Zero in the morning and often had another can or two during the day.  I'm pleased to say that I totally kicked that habit in July.  I was worried about even trying one afterwards but to my shock and amazement, when I did it tasted horrrrrible.  So I'm cleared for good other than the occasional one (and I'm talking one every 2-3 weeks occasional).  

My caffeine fix during Whole30 was unsweet tea which I also weaned myself off after week 2 (because I already felt so good/energetic with improved sleep etc.)  Now I rarely have caffeine and anything with artificial sugar tastes bad to me.  

So for my second Whole30 I'm hoping to do a post-cruise reset (going next week) and I'm pondering doing the AIP version which I may hold off on until another round since I won't have prep time before October 1st and I'll be playing the first week by ear.

Well, hey, y'all!

It looks like I won't be alone on October 1, mourning my lost Diet Coke (&Diet Mountain Dew, & Diet Dr. Pepper, and Crystal Light...). I THOUGHT I didn't use that much in the way of fake sugar until I started thinking about all the things I've always taken for granted when I've tried to get my food in order.  Fortunately, I've always drunk (drank? I'm a writer...you'd think I'd have figured this out by now, but I can't do lay, lie, laid, whatever, either) black coffee, so THAT's gonna be okay at least! 

Thank you, THANK YOU for not making caffeine off limits. 

I'm a totally compulsive overeating food addict, and the first time I read "the rules" for this, I was like, "No flippin' way." And then I came back and looked again, thinking, "Okay, maybe everything but the Diet Coke can go...and the cheese. I still need cheese. " But all of this just makes so much sense to me, I've got to give it a try. 

I'm slowly gathering my food stuffs and dipping my toes (I've given up grains and "real" sugar so far and haven't died yet), but the whole food prep thing is going to be a challenge for me, I'm a grab and go girl, so I'm slowly putting together a grocery list of things I can slow down enough to cook. And really...it's not the cooking that's the issue for me, it's the cleaning up afterward. *shudders* Okay, it's REALLY emptying the dishwasher so I can reload it that I hate. Does ANYONE like to unload the dishwasher? 

I look forward to getting to know people and enjoying this trip! Are we having fun  yet? 

T

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bambinamamma said:

i'm with you all starting Oct 1st!  Is there something we sign up on our phones and get daily texts once we begin?

There's a book, Whole30 Day by Day, that is a daily journal with a little about what to expect and places to write how your day went, if that's the kind of daily stuff you want.

Other than that, just check in here to keep up with each other and post how everything is going. I don't know of any daily text service.

Count me in! This will be round 4 for me, I am 21 weeks pregnant right now, aversions are no longer an issue but the not-so-helpful food habits I picked up in the first trimester have stuck with me. I'm ready to feel better, I always feel absolutely amazing on the whole30! Looks like we have  a sizable group forming here, exciting!

20 hours ago, bambinamamma said:

thanks shannon.  I do have that book i thought maybe i had read there was something else but couldn't remember

There used to be a place on here you could subscribe to a daily email.  But the book is pretty much what the emails were so if you already have that, I'd recommend you just stick with it.  I enjoyed the emails but there is a small fee to subscribe.

(BTW: I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 on October 1st as well.)

• Moderators
20 hours ago, bambinamamma said:

thanks shannon.  I do have that book i thought maybe i had read there was something else but couldn't remember

13 minutes ago, julieinCA said:

There used to be a place on here you could subscribe to a daily email.  But the book is pretty much what the emails were so if you already have that, I'd recommend you just stick with it.  I enjoyed the emails but there is a small fee to subscribe.

(BTW: I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 on October 1st as well.)

There was a daily email, but they discontinued it when the Day by Day book came out. 

Heya. I’m in. The last two weekend I have cooked Whole 30 recipes to get my head in the game. Ordered compliant dressing & mayo yesterday. Each week I am going to spend significant time planning the weeks meals. 

I have done 16:8 for the past two months and feel spectacular. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. 

Did this recipe tonight and it was so fantastic

https://laughingspatula.com/sheet-pan-fajitas/

Cheers!

Archived