Type 1 diabetes - need help/advice

Mea

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some feedback. I have been type one diabetic for 40 years, since I was three, I generally eat well and exercise  (running and yoga)  but injured my hamstring tendon a year ago, I have continued to do yoga but have not been able to run as it is still not right. I was excited about doing the Whole30, read the Whole30 book and It Starts with Food and started the program. Sadly, and this is very discouraging after 30 days of throwing myself into it, I have not seen good results :( This Is really discouraging as there are so many people on here, and on the Facebook groups I joined, that have seen all sorts of benefits.

A check up with my endocrinologist coincided with day 31 (today) - I was hopeful my blood results would be good ( even though I knew I hadn’t lost weight as my clothes are tighter, if anything), but it turns out that after 30 days of Whole30:

- my ‘bad LDL’ cholesterol has gone up from 3.1 to 3.8. Total cholesterol is 6.3, up from 5.8.  My endo says this is very serious and has prescribed me to go on statins, which I’m not happy about it all!

- I’ve gained one kilo.  I’m  not overweight, per se, 166 cm and now 64 kg (I was 63 kg at the start of the Whole30), but I generally feel that my best at around 57 kg, I was hoping this program would knock off a few kilograms. I have kept a record of everything I’ve eaten in a diabetes app to help me manage my blood sugar and insulin levels while on the Whole30. My endo looked at it and said it was inevitable I would put on weight  given I am consuming so much fat, despite the fact it is a low carb approach.  She is in favour of the low carb approach, but not high fat, especially not coconut fat. Very discouraging  

On the plus side, my HbA1c has gone down from 8.9 to 8.2 but I have been doing 10+ blood tests a day and altering insulin levels accordingly, so I would expect improvement with this increased level of attention whatever I was eating. 

I was planning to continue with the program until the end of September, but as my endocrinologist stated categorically that it has not been beneficial and there’s no way I should be eating that much fat, coupled with the increase in cholesterol, I am reluctant to continue and put my health at (more) risk, please advise. I can provide food plans of everything I’ve eaten.

This is all so disappointing given all the effort and commitment it’s taken and the fact there are so many other people who say they’ve had great results :(

• Moderators

If you would like to post a few days of your typical intake, feel free to do so.  We're not your medical provider tho... even the creators of this program would tell you that one size does not fit all and there are those that this program, for their context doesn't fit - if you're willing to play around with your meal composition based on any feedback you receive then we're definitely here to help with that but whether you stick to the program or follow your medical provider's advice is definitely your call.

Reasons why people don't have success can be many fold - excess stress, eating too little, poor meal composition, extenuating health circumstances, previous eating patterns etc... it's hard to say without seeing what you've been eating so go ahead and outline that for us if you like and we'll see if there's any feedback to provide.

Hi, thanks very much for your reply. I have typed out everything I’ve eaten, more or less. I decided from 1 September to put everything into my diabetes app as I had had a few quite low blood sugars and wanted to work out what the pattern was. When I have said ‘low blood sugar’, it doesn’t mean I was comatose on the floor, it just means I felt weak and needed to eat something  Generally coconut water/carrot cheese/Majill dates.

I will also see if I can attach the daily nutrition values for each day that the app makes. I know this program is not about counting calories and fat grams, but the app does this automatically along with the carb content. 

What I’ve eaten this week: 

Tuesday 11/09/18
Breakfast
Half tbsp clarified butter, 
Half avocado 
3 eggs
huge handful baby spinach

Lunch
Half avocado
Chicken and Italian tomato sauce with diced tomato, carrot, celery, onion. 1tbsp olive oil to sauté onions. 
125g blueberries 

Pre-exercise snack
1 Cleavers organic grass fed beef hotdog
49g macadamia nuts, raw

EXERCISE - 90 minute Bikram yoga class

Dinner
Big bowl butternut squash soup form Whole30 book (contains coconut milk) plus 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt to serve. 
Grilled 100g trout, sprayed with olive oil
125g blueberries
1 golden kiwi

Monday 10/09/18
Breakfast
Half tbsp clarified butter
Half avocado
3 eggs
500 ml coconut water for low blood sugar

Lunch
Half avocado
20g macadamias, raw
100g salmon, grilled
Broccoli, eggplant, sweet potato (about 100g each)

Dinner
Big bowl butternut squash soup form Whole30 book (contains coconut milk) plus 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt to serve. 
No protein (?)

Sun 09/09/18
Breakfast/lunch (got up late)
Carrot juice 500ml for low blood sugar 
Half avocado 
20g almonds, raw

EXERCISE - 90 minute Bikram yoga class

Snack 
500 ml Coconut water for low blood sugar 

Dinner
300ml carrot juice - low blood sugar
Half avocado
2 boiled eggs
1 tbsp Whole30 mayo
Green leaves, tomato, onion
125g blueberries
1 kiwi

Snack
125g blueberries

Saturday 08/09/18
Breakfast
Half avocado
3 eggs
2 carrots

Snack
1 apple

No lunch

Dinner (low blood suagar, not at home)
30g Beef jerky
1 Naked paleo bar
125g blueberries
90g raw nuts and raisins
20g almonds, raw
2 medjool dates

Snack
20g almonds, raw

Friday 07/09/18
250ml coconut water (low blood sugar)
Half tbsp clarified bitter
3 eggs
1 carrot
1 apple
40g coconut yoghurt 

Snack
1 apple

Lunch
100g trout grilled, sprayed with olive oil
Half tbsp mayo
Green leaves and tomato
1 Orange
1 kiwi
10 grapes

Snack
45g macadamia nuts, raw
125g blueberries

Dinner
10 olives
Eggplant, tomato, green leaves
100g Scotch fillet
50g chicken

Thursday 06/09/18
Breakfast
Half avocado 
2 carrots
250 ml coconut water (low blood sugar)
20g coconut yoghurt

Lunch
100g salmon
Half tbsp olive oil

EXERCISE walking 6km

Snack
500ml Coconut water (low blood sugar)

Dinner
1 tbsp Olive oil
Half avocado
100g trout, grilled
2 carrots
1 kiwi

Wednesday 05/09/18
Snack in night 
2 medjool dates (low blood sugar)

Breakfast (on the run)
2 boiled eggs
1 tbsp coconut yoghurt

Lunch
190g trail mix (nuts and raisins)
100g salmon
Eggplant, green beans, sweet potato 100g each
Half tbsp olive oil

Snack
1 Orange
1 mandarin

Dinner (out)
Naked paleo date bar
30g beef jerky
40g Macadamias raw
250g strawberries
20g almonds

Tuesday 04/09/18
Breakfast
Half avocado
3 eggs
1 zucchini
1 mandarin

Lunch
100g salmon
Eggplant, sweet potato 100g each
Half tbsp olive oil
1 banana

EXERCISE walking 6km

Snack
1 litre Coconut water 

Dinner
65g roast beef
300g Sweet potato
Half red capsicum
1 tbsp mayo

Monday 03/09/18
Breakfast
500ml coconut water (low blood sugar)
Half avocado
3 eggs

Lunch
1 apple
Half avocado
30g macadamias raw
Beef mince, lots of mixed veg in diced tomato and chilli sauce

Dinner
160g trail mix - nuts and raisins
2 tomatoes 
6 strawberries
1 boiled egg
4 medjool dates
Half tbsp mayo

Sunday 02/09/18
Breakfast
Half avocado
3 eggs
1 kiwi

Lunch
2 boiled eggs
25g almonds
1 tbsp mayo
Tomato, capsicum,celery, onion salad

EXERCISE Bikram yoga 90 minutes
Mid-exercise snack - half banana

Dinner
1 bowl mixed vegetables, boiled
8 prawns
1 tbsp coconut cream

Saturday 01/09/18
Breakfast
Carrot and apple juice (low blood sugar)
Half avocado
3 eggs

Lunch
Half avocado
1 tbsp coconut yoghurt
Bill beef mince chilli with loads of veg
1 kiwi
250 ml carrot juice

Dinner
150g barramundi
Big mixed salad
Olive oil

• Moderators

Okay great!  So can you tell me how 100g relates to the size of your palm?  The template recommends 1-2 palms (your own palm's width x thickness x length) of protein at each meal... 

Can you also say how the 100g of veggies that you list out relates to around 1-3 cups of veggies? (that's just an estimate of 'filling your plate' but you'd need LOTS of veg if it's just greens like spinach where it wilts down to almost nothing).

You seem to have a lot of fruit and nuts... nuts can contribute to bloating and digestive distress which may present as 'weight gain'... our recommendation is a closed handful of nuts every other day at most.  Fruit is also recommended to be limited to 0-2 servings a day eaten with meals (think an apple chopped up on salad) and not as a snack or letting too much fruit push veggies off your plate.

It might be worth revisiting the recommended meal template again if you choose to move forward with this program - it honestly looks like you're not eating enough and what you are eating isn't well composed... some of your days have 1 or 2 eggs as your sole protein for the day - those days I see you have a few snacks for low blood sugar... it's quite likely related. I don't know much about diabetes and the management of such but I would suspect eating more well composed meals would even out your blood sugar which would remove the need for snacking on fruit and nuts which may also help resolve some of the other concerns you have.

Archived