Anyone starting 9/17?

MLee

Hey everyone,

This is my second attempt at doing the whole30. I tried for the first time in July and failed at day 12 or 13 I think and I really want to do the entire whole30 along with reintroduction of foods one at a time. I have crohns disease so I need to do everything I can to fight inflammation so I need to be successful! 

Is anyone else starting on the 17th? I would really love a few accountability partners.

Also starting today 9/17. I've completed several Whole30s and always felt much better for it, but after a while I can get off track. It's time to start paying more attention to what I am eating (and drinking!) again. Looking forward to joining you all!

@MLee I have always found the forum to be really helpful for a successful Whole30 - personally I need the accountability :-)

starting my second whole30 today.  Looking forward to the awesome sleep I will be having, and the debloating that will happen!  I do have some issues to resolve from my first whole30.  One problem I  had continually was the not eating a few hours before sleep.  I don't get home until 6pm and I like to cook (for that night and the next day's lunch) then which means I don't eat until 7 or 7::30.  My bedtime is generally 8:30, sometimes 8. 

Survived Day 1. Day 2 hasn't been too bad.  This is my second time (I started the process last week and made it to day 5 before I made a mistake) and I think it's actually a tad bit tougher. 

Did any of you buy the BlueApron Whole30 meals this month?    

Starting day 3! Slept like crazy last night but I am also recovering from jetlag. On day one I made a large pot of beef ragu with kale and baked a spaghetti squash. I've been having leftovers from that - it's nice with eggs in the morning. 

I posted this in another thread, but since I started 09/17, wanted to introduce myself here:

Hello!  I'm on Day 4.  No significant struggles - outside of normal daily self-employed stress - except minimal sleep (my dog is suffering extreme allergies/itching ALL NIGHT LONG), and some subsequent late-night hunger last night (avocado/nutritional yeast + water quenched the fire).

After cooking all meals over the last 3 days, it's a relief to know I finally have a nice stockpile of leftovers I can enjoy again or transform (i.e., last night's scampi over butternut ribbons, which I'll be turning into a Thai curry-type soup with lots of spices, coconut milk, and veggies).

Background: I've tried just about every meal plan in my 42 years, starting with 80s diets as a child (Body Type diet, Slim-Fast, WW too many times to count, fat-free crazes of the 90s, Atkins, cabbage soup).  A holistic practitioner friend had me working on food elimination about a decade ago, focusing on gluten.  I was motivated and starting to feel "lighter", until I hit a huge unexpected business hurdle while  suffering through the flu, and I fell off the wagon completely, ne'er to return. 

In recent years, I was vegan 2.5 years, then grain-free for a year (Paleo-ish/Bulletproof), then finally Wheat Belly (grain-free + low-carb) for a year - which, in time, made me nauseous after drinking fat-laden coffee and prebiotic shakes [determined later that I was intolerant to excessive fat, an expected liver issue, although I may have 4 total glasses of wine in a year's time...!].   I was then advised to REALLY scale back, eliminate all fats, in addition to the grains I had already eschewed - which just blew my mind and made me run for cover, wondering how I could continue on so "deprived". All the while, I have remained a much-too-large person (100+ pounds), and I'm starting to feel those affects more and more (foot/heel pain, shoulder pain which has now become chronic, inconsistent/broken sleep, overall ache and stiffness I can't deny).

I'm interested to see how different I feel after 30 days without inflammatory foods.  I don't ever weigh myself, and I'll let my clothes and the way I feel be my guide as to "success".  My main goal is to get out of this midday slump/extreme fatigue I've been experiencing the last few years, which is never relieved by extra coffee or energy drinks.   Consistent daytime energy would be ideal, but I know I've taxed my adrenals for far too long, with lifestyle neglect (food and entrepreneurial stress overload).

Note for today:  I sure do miss my half-n-half frothy morning latte with splash of Coffee-Mate.  Yes, I'm drinking coffee with almond milk/coconut milk, but it just isn't quite the same, and not as enticing to drag me outta bed.  Then again, with my adrenal fatigue, I shouldn't drink coffee anyway, so it's a win-win (epiphany).

Nice to "meet" you all. ☺

On 10/1/2018 at 7:06 AM, Zee_1 said:

1/2 way guys!!  Congrats :)  

And now on Day 18!  It has seemed long, but then again so short now - and makes me MUCH more aware of how quickly time seems to pass, in retrospect...  Likewise, I'm so grateful I finally just DID it, not waiting for 10/1 or some even number, because the days will continue to pass, whether I'm eating whole30 or floating down Decadence River. I'm aiming for a whole65 here: that will take me to the day before Tgiving.   I have a long way to go and years of repair to do, so I know 30 days isn't going to be enough.  And why not continue to nurture myself with whole foods and complete meals?  It seems appropriate and the best approach for how taxed I am right now.  Since Tgiving won't be an ideal and calculated reintroduction, I'm planning to jump right back on whole30 till Christmas, then another whole30 in January and see where I feel with continuing indefinitely.

No Tiger Blood here, and actually really tired and ready to climb into bed at night (which is an improvement, since I was so turned around with my days and nights the last few years).  How are you doing this week?  Cravings all gone now? Tiger blood stories you can share?

6 hours ago, MichelleºCA said:

And now on Day 18!  It has seemed long, but then again so short now - and makes me MUCH more aware of how quickly time seems to pass, in retrospect...  Likewise, I'm so grateful I finally just DID it, not waiting for 10/1 or some even number, because the days will continue to pass, whether I'm eating whole30 or floating down Decadence River. I'm aiming for a whole65 here: that will take me to the day before Tgiving.   I have a long way to go and years of repair to do, so I know 30 days isn't going to be enough.  And why not continue to nurture myself with whole foods and complete meals?  It seems appropriate and the best approach for how taxed I am right now.  Since Tgiving won't be an ideal and calculated reintroduction, I'm planning to jump right back on whole30 till Christmas, then another whole30 in January and see where I feel with continuing indefinitely.

No Tiger Blood here, and actually really tired and ready to climb into bed at night (which is an improvement, since I was so turned around with my days and nights the last few years).  How are you doing this week?  Cravings all gone now? Tiger blood stories you can share?

@MichelleºCA It's crazy how fast (and slow) the first 18 days have gone!  Eating clean is starting to become second nature, I think.  It's getting easier and easier to pass up things and avoid cravings, which are coming fewer and farther between.  I did have a bit of a setback this week with an autoimmune reaction.  I think it was to eggs.  I hadn't had any for several days (7-10) and I fixed an egg casserole the other night.  I ate a little of it for supper and headed to bed.  I woke up yesterday with a lot of pain.  I'd been doing so well and had been experiencing a considerable decrease in my pain levels.  My doctor thinks perhaps the eggs were the issue, agreed that removing them for the remainder of my 30 would be a good idea, and suggested extending my Whole30 to be a 45 or 60.  

I had a couple days of TigerBlood.  Great energy (which is incredible, since I'm also dealing with adrenal fatigue) with minimal brain fog.  My sleep has improved a lot as well.  And, the other day, for the first time in months, I wore a shirt that I hadn't been able to fit into.  So, overall things have been good.  

There is a forum post about not doing the Whole30 forever; they don't actually recommend that.  I do think extending it is great.  And, I will be extending mine, and probably doing at least one more round here in the next six months or so.  I can really tell that my tastes/preferences are changing.  So, I think continuing to eat like this will be a habit that sticks around, after I finish the program.  Hope your week finishes out awesomely!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 26 or 27?!  How are we doing folks?  On the downslope now!  

I'm noticing changes - better mood, my clothes are fitting better, my ring fits better, I've been able to buy a couple new shirts in smaller sizes.  This week, at a work event, I got a ton of compliments.  I haven't seen how my body has been changing (I just know my clothes are fitting better), but others are noticing.  I've been able to dash into the grocery store, and only grab the specific items on my list and not want anything else.  It's actually less stressful to go to the grocery store because it's easier to pass up things and to stick to the perimeter.  

On 10/13/2018 at 7:02 AM, Zee_1 said:

Day 26 or 27?!  How are we doing folks?  On the downslope now!  

I'm noticing changes - better mood, my clothes are fitting better, my ring fits better, I've been able to buy a couple new shirts in smaller sizes.  This week, at a work event, I got a ton of compliments.  I haven't seen how my body has been changing (I just know my clothes are fitting better), but others are noticing.  I've been able to dash into the grocery store, and only grab the specific items on my list and not want anything else.  It's actually less stressful to go to the grocery store because it's easier to pass up things and to stick to the perimeter.  

Hey, Zee!  I'm still here, now on Day 29 right there with ya!

I have a long way to go, so although my husband commented on my looking leaner from the back/waist, visiting family did not notice (or didn't comment).  That's fine, as one of the reasons I think I've kept myself fat is despising attention like this...!   I literally dread it.   As for myself, a few things feel a bit looser, but I mostly wear comfy/lounge clothes anyway (work from home), so it's harder to tell.

All that said, I've been battling thru and leaping over pitfalls.  Cooking each day now is just  part of my schedule, despite my insane work hours - it has to be done, gotta eat.  I'm extending my whole30 to a whole65.  Are you planning reintroduction as of Wednesday?    My whole 65 takes me to day before Thanksgiving, so that won't be a really calculated reintroduction - and then I'm jumping back on another round right after to take me up to Christmas - after which I'll start round 3 and see how long I need to take it (as I mentioned, long way to go - and honestly, I've had some NSVs, but not enough differences where re-introduction at this point would be revealing quite yet).

The boards here are rather quiet, but there's a thriving FB community (several groups there) - so I'm reminding myself to check in here periodically, since I knew there were other 09/17 starting whole30 peeps!   I didn't weigh/measure, but I'll check back and see how you did, if you do and post about it.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:38 PM, MichelleºCA said:

Hey, Zee!  I'm still here, now on Day 29 right there with ya!

I have a long way to go, so although my husband commented on my looking leaner from the back/waist, visiting family did not notice (or didn't comment).  That's fine, as one of the reasons I think I've kept myself fat is despising attention like this...!   I literally dread it.   As for myself, a few things feel a bit looser, but I mostly wear comfy/lounge clothes anyway (work from home), so it's harder to tell.

All that said, I've been battling thru and leaping over pitfalls.  Cooking each day now is just  part of my schedule, despite my insane work hours - it has to be done, gotta eat.  I'm extending my whole30 to a whole65.  Are you planning reintroduction as of Wednesday?    My whole 65 takes me to day before Thanksgiving, so that won't be a really calculated reintroduction - and then I'm jumping back on another round right after to take me up to Christmas - after which I'll start round 3 and see how long I need to take it (as I mentioned, long way to go - and honestly, I've had some NSVs, but not enough differences where re-introduction at this point would be revealing quite yet).

The boards here are rather quiet, but there's a thriving FB community (several groups there) - so I'm reminding myself to check in here periodically, since I knew there were other 09/17 starting whole30 peeps!   I didn't weigh/measure, but I'll check back and see how you did, if you do and post about it.

Hi!  Welcome to Day 30!!  

I'm glad you're still here at this point.  It's definitely been more quiet here than I'd thought. 

I'm glad that you're noticing some nsvs and that your husband is noticing!  That's got to be good. 

It's weird the things our minds tell us.  I had an experience once where someone ran up behind me and picked me up and carried me off.  It caught me completely off guard and I had no idea who even picked me up at first.  It scared me so bad how easy it was him to pick me up and run off with me.  Made me think about how easy it would be to be kidnapped.  Which is nuts.  And my friend didn't mean to scare me at all.  I think my brain went "oh, if you're heavy it won't be as easy to be kidnapped."    

I'm extending mine since I had the setback with the eggs.  I'm considering completely removing nightshade, as well.  But, finding cooking time is still challenging with my schedule.  I've been ordering meals from KettleBell Kitchen to help supplement my food during the week.  That's been a big help.  I don't know for how long I'll extend this (my plan was probably between 45 and 60).  I had like 3 or 4 days kind of in the middle where I felt absolutely amazing.  I assume that was my tiger blood phase.  I've been ok since...though that is more emotionally/mentally than physically.  

I'd love to keep checking in with you and follow your progress on the next rounds.  I may be joining you on them! 

9 hours ago, Zee_1 said:

I had like 3 or 4 days kind of in the middle where I felt absolutely amazing.  I assume that was my tiger blood phase.  I've been ok since...though that is more emotionally/mentally than physically.  

I'd love to keep checking in with you and follow your progress on the next rounds.  I may be joining you on them! 

Hi again!  Congrats, we did it! Day 31.   I'm proud!  It seemed so daunting at the outset, and now I can't believe it's done!

I do understand your idea/protection mechanism about being too heavy to be carried off.  I suffered some abuse as a child, and I know it fed into (no pun) my desire to stay fat, protective and less attractive (my subconscious told me).  Thank goodness for therapy!

I didn't experience the tiger blood flurry, but I didn't feel like a zombie/dead person every day, like I normally do, so that's probably tiger blood for me!    Hopefully more rounds for longer durations will get me to where you were!  I'd love to feel amazing.

I'm staying compliant for now, but just found out I'm taking a trip out of town for 2 nights this weekend (didn't think it was going to happen), so I'm making the conscious decision to relax my restrictions while I travel.   I know it's possible to stay compliant, but I've had a heck of a month, and I need relief in something - so I'll go with releasing some rigidity surrounding my eating, then jump right back on when I get to town Sunday.  That still gives me enough time to do another w30 before Tgiving.

Take good care! 

Archived