My First Whole30: yikes...(9.15.18 start)

continue_my_dear

It's just passed midnight on Day #1 of my Whole30. I'm sure I should have pushed the start date back so I had more time to plan...or shop...but my stomach has been so bad the last week, I don't want to put it off any longer.

I've always been sensitive to dairy, however, that never stopped me from eating cheese, breads, sauces, ice creams, or any other thing dairy touches.

But in the last year my ability to drink milk has gone away. Anytime milk passes my lips I'm in the bathroom for hours. I'm worried now my body is rejecting more dairy...I'm worried it's why I don't feel well.

My other thought is that my mom was tested for food sensitivities and came back positive for both gluten and dairy. But after the test her doctor made her do an elimination diet anyways. So I figure I'll just start there, and only get tested if necessary!!

I know the Whole30 isn't about weight-loss, but along with figuring out food sensitivities, I'm also hoping this will help me lose some weight and figure out a way to keep weight off even when I'm on anti-anxiety medication (I've gained 30 pounds in less than a year).

I took my measurements today. I'm going to post them here, I'll check again on the last day. I've vowed not to weigh or measure myself. I wanna do this right...

It's only 30 days, how hard could it be?

Date: 9.14.18
Weight: 222.0
Neck: 14.5
Bicep: 14
Forearm: 9.5
Wrist: 6.5
Chest: 39
Breast: 53
Waist: 39
Tummy: 47.5
Hips: 47.5
Thighs: 28
Calves: 17

I figured I should document some of the issues I'm having, so I can compare how they feel at the end.

• Asthma (albuterol twice a day)
• Seasonal Allergies (benadryl every night)
• Not Regular (BMs)
• Gassy
• Heartburn
• Fatigue (I never wake up feeling well rested)
• Anxiety (currently on Zoloft)

Welcome! I'm just a week ahead of you, my_dear. Like you, I had gained about 30 pounds in a very short amount of time, and I'm eager to see if Whole30 turns that around and gets the scale going in the right direction again. Same with allergies. One week in, NSV results are positive so far: my clothes are less tight, and I don't seem to need the allergy meds quite as much. 

Nice to be doing this with you!

So, change of plans. Totally my fault. I didn't mention to Boyman (my partner in crime) and my two best friends that I was starting the Whole30. That kind of bummed them out when they surprised me for lunch.

Since I didn't have any appropriate foods to eat I decided to start tomorrow. I went to the store and spent 2 hours shopping. Here's a few things I picked up!!

• Many different fruits and vegetables.
• Almond and cashew butter (I got a little of both from the bulk section to try them)
• Taproot Flour
• Nutritional Yeast
• Unsweetened Coconut
• Meat
• A few Lara Bars that are Whole30 approved for emergencies

I'm feeling...hopeful. But worried. I'm making a meal plan tonight with my foods so I don't feel like I'm in the dark!!

Day: 1

Breakfast:
• Apple Slices
• Almond Butter

Lunch:
• Sautéed Onions and Bell Peppers
• Beef
• Red Potatoes with seasonings

Dinner:
• Baked Potato
• Ghee
• Bacon
• Broccoli

Dessert:
• Banana
• Cashew Butter

Workouts:
• Squats and Overhead Presses

Success:
• I did it!!! I made it through day 1!!

Struggle:
• I craved alcohol. For sure...

Symptoms:
AM: Allergy attack
PM: A little nausea

12:53am - Just about to go to sleep for the night. This evening I had a hamburger and french fries for dinner and a little ice cream. It was hard to think that it would be the last grains, sugar and dairy I'd be having for at least a month.

I was thinking about it today. After I finish the Whole30, I might have answers...I might not like those answers. What if dairy isn't for me? That would be quite sad. But I think that that's what I'm going to find out.

10:10 am - I'm up and moving. I still haven't eaten, I don't feel hungry yet. But I have my apples and nut butter on standby! I'm still feeling optimistic about the day!

10:47 am - OK, breakfast eaten, now on to prep for lunch. I'm sautéing some peppers and onions with some beef. I made enough for 4 meals! So hopefully that'll help with lunches for the next few days.

4:23 pm - It's lunch time!!! I am so hungry. Time to dig in!!!

10:07 pm - Alright. I'm done! I ate dinner, which was so good. And my dessert. Bananas and nut butter. But man...I feel good. I'm ready to wake up tomorrow and feel hungover. #hereicomeday2

inCollage_20180916_221304789.jpg

Day: 2

Breakfast:
• Apple Slices
• Almond Butter

Lunch:
• Beef
• Bell Pepper
• Onion

Dinner:
• Steak
• Ghee
• Bacon
• Broccoli
• Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Dessert:
• Banana
• Cashew Butter

Workouts:
None

Success:
Much more energy today!

Struggle:
SOOOO HUNGRY

Symptoms:
AM: Breathing issues
PM: None

Today I was HUNGRY. My gosh. I wanted to eat everything. But I stayed strong and didn't have a snack (I do have a Lara Bar on hand just in case).

I keep telling myself I can eat as much as I want as long as it's on plan. That seems to help the mental side of it.

I meal prepped some more today. But now I'm worried I have too much food...haha...what a problem.

inCollage_20180917_225714579.jpg

• Moderators

Hi, @continue_my_dear -- have you checked out the meal template? You can download it here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. I think if you make your breakfast match the meal template just like all the other meals, and try to eat it within an hour of waking up if you're not already, you'll find you're not hungry all day. I know this can be a big change, but it's truly worth trying to make this change. If you don't want eggs, that's fine. Make some soup, or try these salmon cakes:   https://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/, or leftovers from the night before if you're in a hurry -- anything you'd eat at any other meal works for breakfast too.  Here's a discussion with some actual examples of non-egg breakfasts people have eaten: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/

I'd really strongly urge you to reconsider that dessert as well. Whole30 isn't just about what you're eating, it's about changing habits. You can keep having a banana and cashew butter after supper every day and still be doing Whole30, but that's not addressing the habit of having dessert every day, and if you don't change that habit, you may find that when you're done with Whole30, it's really easy to fall back into eating something not so healthy at that time, because you still want something sweet in the evening.  At least try to not have it every day, don't let it become something you're not even thinking about -- at the point when you'd normally have the dessert, ask yourself, "am I hungry?" If you're not hungry, don't eat. If you are hungry, ask yourself if you want dessert, or if you might prefer having a second helping of whatever you've had for supper. If you really think about it, and you're really honest with yourself, and sometimes you want that dessert, that's one thing, but too often when we're used to having something like that, we don't think about whether we really want it each day, we just always have it, no matter what -- it's like we're on auto pilot. Try to avoid that. You might even consider using the one bite rule, even though it's geared at life after Whole30:  https://whole30.com/2015/08/one-bite/

Day: 3

Breakfast:
• Salsa Chicken
• Avocado

Lunch:
• Baked Potato

Dinner:
• Ghee
• Bacon
• Broccoli
• Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Workouts:
None

Success:
• Still no LaraBars. I'm pretty proud of that.

Struggle:
• Hard day. So sick.

Symptoms:
AM: Mild allergies
PM: Nausea and hot flashes

UGH. I FEEL SOOOO SICK TODAY. I had a larger breakfast today and ended up not having the lunch I planned. My coworker suggested it could be "Keto Flu". I'm not so sure about that, but decided to have some carbs for lunch.

For dinner I didn't feel like cooking, so I had leftovers. I'm still not feeling very hot...ugh.

inCollage_20180918_212041243.jpg

Oh, my_dear, I love your pictures! Your food looks so delicious, and it's all compliant. It's great that you felt your body needed some carbs at lunch, so you went with something compliant rather than taking the easier route and giving up. A baked potato was such a smart choice. Nicely done!

Day: 4

Breakfast:
• None

Lunch:
• Baked Sweet Potato
• Ghee

Dinner:
• Romaine Lettuce
• Bacon
• Hamburger Patty
• Dill Pickles
• Pizza Sauce

Workouts:
None

Success:
• Fewer Cravings!

Struggle:
• Still didn't feel good this morning, but by the evening I was ok.

Symptoms:
AM: Nausea
PM: None

Last night I dreamt that I weighed myself. I had gained 10 pounds! I woke up and had to actually think about whether or not it was a dream. I still didn't weigh myself!

I was still feeling a bit under the weather this morning, so I sipped on water. I finally got hungry around 4pm, I had a sweet potato and then waited until 11pm for my strange meal.

Boyman wanted Hamburgers. Sooo...I made myself a Hamburger Pizza Salad! It was weird, but tasty as well!! I'm going to the store tomorrow to stock back up on apples. I'm hoping for no nausea tomorrow.

IMG_20180920_013049.jpg

Day: 5

Breakfast:
• Fresh Plums

Lunch:
• Chicken
• Salsa

Dinner:
• Pineapple
• Water Chestnuts
• Chicken
• Bacon
• Pizza Sauce

Snack:
• Banana
• Almond Butter

Workouts:
None

Success:
• Honestly, my success is still doing this. I've wanted to give up so many times already. But I havent.

Struggle:
• Still not 100% really wanting to just eat it and forget it.

Symptoms:
AM: Mild nausea
PM: Tired

Today was such a blur. I was supposed to go to the store, but honestly I wasn't up for it. Not going to the store is a shame because tomorrow is my "Monday" and it will be a long shift at work. Hopefully it'll be an easy one.

Today did have some highlights. We went to the family's tree nursery and picked some produce. I got Cauliflower, tomatoes, acorn squash, butternut squash, onions, bell peppers and plums. They grow corn as well...but we aren't allowed corn. Which sucks.

I didn't get a picture of my food, but I did get a picture of my old girl, Cloey. She was checking out the pumpkins.

IMG_20180920_161802.jpg

Day: 6

Breakfast:
• None

Lunch:
• None

Dinner:
• Pineapple
• Chicken
• Pizza Sauce

Snack:
• None

Workouts:
• None

Success:
• Well...I didn't give in to temptation....even when I was super hungry.

Struggle:
• Not bringing food to work. Bad idea.

Symptoms:
AM: Tired
PM: Nauseous and light headed (lack of food I'm sure)

Well...what happens when you wake up late and forget to grab ANY food? You have nothing to eat.

So I ran out the door today, normally if this happens it's ok, there's usually some snacks at work and a Taco Bell next door. That wasn't helpful today...a bag of pretzels NEVER looked so good, and of course I didn't grab my purse, so I didn't have my LaraBars. So my first meal was at 8:30pm tonight. So. Bad.

Tomorrow likely won't be much better. I work an early shift and I have NO food to grab and go. Man....the Whole30 is difficult when I rely on convenient, grab and go foods. I've got to change that.

Boyman went to jar green beans for me today at his grandparents house.

IMG_20150730_144808.jpg

Day: 7

Breakfast:
• None

Lunch:
• Steak
• Red Potatoes

Dinner:
• Apple
• Banana
• Almond Butter

Snack:
• Lara Bar

Workouts:
None

Success:
• Got all my water in.

Struggle:
• Being sick and having to cook from scratch is rough.

Symptoms:
AM: Nausea and Vomiting
PM: Headache

Today wasn't easy. I was not prepared to be unable to stand for more than a few minutes. I didn't have any meals prepped so I had to have a LaraBar. I know it isn't great. But I needed to eat. My doctor said eat a "BRAT" diet....but I can only eat the "BA" part...so that's what I did.

Tomorrow I have a family dinner. I told them what I was avoiding and they said they'd make a few things without butter/sauces for me. I hope that's true!

1 week down!!

Archived