Starting Oct 1

couchnest

Hello! I'm in the process of reading the books so I can have an Oct. 1st start date. So far I am mostly excited because it seems like there are plenty of things to eat and since I'm not counting calories, etc. I really am just focusing on what I put in my body and fighting cravings. I have some suspicions already about certain foods and how they affect me, so I don't think this will be super eye-opening, but I am anxiously anticipating feeling better and hope to continue the better eating well  beyond the 30 days. I'm not here to lose significant amounts of weight, although I won't lie, if I lost 15 pounds I would be pretty happy.  I think I'm picking the perfect time to start because I have two weeks off work in Oct. for vacation and since it's a staycation, I will have better control of my days and what I am eating. It's great to meet other people going through the same things and sharing ideas and support! Right now I'm thinking about going through my cupboard and fridge, marking what is safe to consume, and then making a list of the items I need to find Whole30 subs for, if possible.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be starting my second Whole30 on October 1st as well.  We did one in July and did reintroductions but we're going on a cruise next week so I want to get another round in after that and before Thanksgiving so I'm in the right mindset when that comes! Hope some others will join in too.  I'll be posting pictures on Instagram of food etc just like last time.  Helped keep me accountable along with this forum!

My challenge will be I won't be able to mealprep the weekend before since we'll still be on the cruise, but some tricks from my first one should help even without the mealprep. 

I'm also starting on October 1st! Mostly because it's a Monday and Monday is for starting things, and so is the first of the month. Also my birthday is on the 27th, and my boyfriend's already planned tacos and beer. 

I lost 60 pounds almost two years ago now by starting to exercise consistently and tracking my macros. I'm happy with my weight now, but I feel like my athletic performance has stalled lately. Everyone says "have you tried cleaning up your diet? You should go paleo, dude." (It's CrossFit, we all call each other, "dude".) 

I'm also kind of at my wits end with my mental health. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II a while back, and we've yet to find any medication that makes much of a difference. Exercising regularly made a dramatic difference in evening out my mood, but now whatever benefit I gained from that has levelled off. And it's not good enough, even if it's better than it was before because I'm still cycling and it's still really holding me back in my career, and relationships, and as a mother... Maybe it's the dairy. Though, to be honest, I'll be a little pissed if I've been suffering for all these years and the solution was to stop eating greek yogurt. 

I starting preparing a couple weeks ago, fo I've already starting sticking up on compliant panty item and have dozen upon dozens of recipes bookmarked. I've convinced my parents to join me and told my son he has no choice. Ten more days!

I'm also choosing Oct. 1st.  I am ready for some change.  I've been a healthy eater for a while and have tried paleo and low carb, with no weight loss.  I could stand to lose 30 lbs for sure.  The only part of that I haven't tackled is no sugar and no dairy.  Dairy seems scary, I really like cheese!  But if taking it out reduces my allergy symptoms and the inflammation in my hip/back, then it's worth it!  The sugar part isn't really a huge part of my life, but I do use stevia. So that'll be a challenge to do without and dark chocolate!  A little concerned. 

Positives are that we can eat avocados and sweet potatoes are delicious.  You may have to remind me of that when that's all I'm eating.  Hopefully we'll all see some positive changes and try really hard not to put too much hope in weight loss.  I know it's about more than that, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope to lose some.

Hi everyone! I'm doing my annual W30 during October, as well. I've done annual full rounds, along with random mini-rounds since I started my Paleo journey back in 2013 and found it helps me refocus on my health goals. I try to live a mostly Paleo lifestyle, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my health and nutrition.

After my first year, I had lost 60 lbs and gotten so much healthier (fixed allergies, high blood pressure, etc.). In the past year or so, some weight has crept back on and I've struggled to figure out the cause. I'm almost 50 so it may be peri-menopause or something else. I am thinking I may go to the AIP version for the last two weeks of this round to see if I have any epiphanies after eliminating a few more things. 

I've always found these forum groups to be soooo helpful during my rounds, so I'm excited to see a good group getting ready to start! :) I noticed there's two Oct. 1st groups, that a lot of us are following, so maybe we should choose just one and use it? See: 

I'm starting my very 1st Whole30 on October first. How perfect is it that October 1st is also a Monday?? I have been putting off dong the program for a whole year because of lots of weddings, vacations and random events but I have decided that this is going to be my birthday present to myself. My birthday is October 30th so I'll be completing my last day on my 32nd birthday! Is there a better present than self love and improved health on your birthday???? I THINK NOT! Good luck to everyone!

-Ginger

Excited to be starting my Whole30 on 1 October.  I'm so ready for this.

I completed a Whole30 done more than 7 years ago and from then maintained a healthy paleo eating style for many years.  A holiday in France and Italy derailed me so I'm excited about a reset.

Good luck all, hang in there through the first few uncomfortable days.  It's totally worth it.

H x

Hello! I too am starting my Whole 30 on October 1st! I’m really excited to feel better! I’m mainly doing this because I just feel like my body is out of whack & needs a good reset! After my Whole 30, I plan on working the program to lose19-15 pounds. I’m so glad to see all of you starting the same day!

Starting my 3rd Whole30 on October 1 as well! Definitely need a reset to my diet, especially in getting rid of alcohol and dairy. Is anyone part of a Facebook October Whole30 support group? I think it'd be a great way to connect and post easily with each other, if anyone is interested!

I'm also starting October 1st. I started eating following the Whole30 rules in September and had amazing results. Unfortunately, without being really ready for it, (or reading up on the program) I only lasted for 3 weeks. Within those weeks, I had amazing results (wasn't craving extra food or junk, better sleep, 5 stubborn pounds lost/1 size down). I started reading about what Whole30 promised around week 3 and was really surprised to see that I was actually getting the results Whole30 'promises'. 

Also, when I went off plan (cake at my son's birthday) I had terrible stomach pain and and awful headache the next day... so there is something in my diet that needs adjusting. The reintroduction will be very imporant for me this round!

With 3 weeks completed, I learned a lot and am ready to commit to the program this time. I'm prepping all my breakfasts in advance (since that was my hardest meal) and making sure I have all my meals planned and groceries purchased. 

I have Canadian Thanksgiving and my birthday this month, but my family knows I'm on the plan and expects some different choices being made for my meals.

Looking forward to hearing about all your journeys this month! 

Jen 

I'm starting my 3th whole30 on October first. I was only active on this forum for the first one and the next two were more difficult I think because I wasn't sharing here and reading on with other people.

English isn't my first language so please forgive me any mistakes.

Would love to read the experiences of the first timers and people who have done this before. I loved every one of my whole30's, the better sleep, better skin, mental clarity and energy, weight loss, and I notice my healthy habits stick around longer after every cycle, so let's do this again!

Hi Everyone - I am also starting on October 1st and so glad that I will have company! I did my first Whole 30 in April and was mostly successful. However, I feel much more prepared now and have collected so many Whole 30 approved recipes that I can't wait to try. Also - I didn't use the Forum in the past so looking forward to having a "support" group and doing this together. Enjoy the weekend and let's do this!

Hi, I am starting tomorrow, 1st October, too. I have done Whole 30 several times in the past - the longest was a Whole 90 in 2016. I have got into bad habits over the last month having been successfully losing weight for the previous twelve months. I'm in UK and there are a lot of posters around suggesting a "Sober October" but as I have been teetotal since 2001 I thought I would take the suggestion and make it Whole 30 time. I've reread the basics and am getting ready for tomorrow. I'll have to be up early as my first gym class is at 9:30 and I can't eat any closer than 3 hours before exercising. It sucks now I'm retired but it's only 30 days. 

See y'all tomorrow. 

On 9/28/2018 at 8:53 AM, ebutton25 said:

Starting my 3rd Whole30 on October 1 as well! Definitely need a reset to my diet, especially in getting rid of alcohol and dairy. Is anyone part of a Facebook October Whole30 support group? I think it'd be a great way to connect and post easily with each other, if anyone is interested!

I have tried to join the fb group but for some reason not approved. I deleted my fb over the summer and only just recently rejoined so maybe the new account is why? Idk. 

Hi all - I am excited to be joining you all tomorrow, October 1.  I did a 30Clean challenge a few years ago, and only lasted a week, but I really want to give this another go.  My challenges are a) addiction to sweets, esp baked goods and chocolate, b) heavy reliance on coffee in the mornings and afternoon slump c) low energy, despite good sleep habits, and d) an uneasy relationship with alcohol.  I am a three-year survivor of breast cancer.  I really want to kick my sweet tooth, and if I lost 10 pounds that would be a great bonus :).  I also really want to kick up my energy level so that I'm not scrambling for coffee to get through the afternoon.

Is there a place I can download a family-friendly meal plan?

• Moderators
On 9/30/2018 at 8:16 AM, JennieSF said:

Is there a place I can download a family-friendly meal plan?

There aren't really any official meal plans, other than the one-week one in the Whole30 book. There are a ton of bloggers out there who have done Whole30 who offer recipes and meal plans, just be sure you know the rules and check that everything they list is Whole30 compliant, and hopefully that the meals are meeting the meal template (remember that pancakes and chia pudding even if they're made with compliant ingredients, are never okay, and things like monkey salad on their own do not meet the meal template recommendation). 

Here are a few good places to start: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes (recipes, not so much a meal plan),   https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/whole30/ (again, recipes, not really a meal plan), https://www.ourpaleolife.com/whole30-meal-plan-grocery-list/ (actual meal plan).

Also remember that you do not have to make a bunch of new recipes all the time. They can definitely be useful to fight food boredom and to get you to try new things, but it is absolutely okay to have a burger patty topped with guacamole, some roasted potato or sweet potato chunks, and salad, or to find a whole30-compliant taco seasoning and use it to season a pound of ground beef, which you can then put on top of a pile of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and grated carrots with a big dollop of guacamole, some sliced onions, and some compliant salad dressing. Keep it simple as much as you can so you don't end up burned out on all the cooking. And always cook extra so you have leftovers for another meal. 

You can download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

I am eager to start October 1st. I started my first Whole 30 February of 2017 and stuck to it for months afterwards. Traveling and family guests got me off track and I did a second one in October of 2017. Traveling this summer got me off track again (eating more breads and sugars)  and so it is time for another reset. There are life transitions ahead in 2019 and though good things are happening, there is an accompanying stress. I believe getting my eating in good control (through another Whole 30) is a piece of the puzzle to help my mental, physical, and emotional health better face the transitions. Glad to be a part of the forum for support.

I’m so excited for all of you starting on October 1st! I thought about an October cleanse but realized I have my families giant Halloween party on the 27th... I was going to be depressed about not getting  apple crisp that night. It’s like our once a year thing and didn’t want to miss out. So, like a true sugar junky, I changed my plans. 

I am also starting today. I did a round in January  and April that were very successful  and started one in August, but older daughter ended up in the hospital and I took her 6 and 10 year old boys. At 63 keeping up with them and making different meals wast working. I have been very overweight all my life and the whole30 really works well for me. However and did revert to bad habits and need to get back to it

Archived