Starting Oct 1

couchnest

I'm traveling for days 4-8.  I don't know if I'm ahead of the schedule on the timeline, but I seem to have skipped the desire to "kill all the things" and have moved right on to being bloated.  Which is no fun.  But I do feel like I have more energy and am sleeping okay without my melatonin fix.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 down.  Forgot to eat breakfast as my hubby’s out of town and I’m taking the kids to school this week, which he usually does.  Got to work and hit the ground running.  Lunch was a cucumber salad with the remaining beets and chicken meatballs from days 2 & 3. For dinner, made the chicken chowder recipe from the Whole 30 book and it was delish!  I’m nervous about eating too many root vegetables because of the carbs, but trying not to overthink...

227CB51E-6911-44F7-BE11-7AB943EFD6AD.jpeg

Day 4 here and feeling good. It’s helped that I’ve had a crazy week at work and didn’t have a spare second to question eating the lunch I packed. Barely had time for that! Today will start the challenge with lots of weekend activities, including making a birthday cake for my littlest. 

I actually spent September just focusing on not drinking alcohol so I feel lucky that I’m over those initial weekends of feeling like that was a big deal. Quitting alcohol required some dedicated attention that I wouldn’t have had if I was also restricting my diet. 

I like hearing about everyone’s baby steps along their journey. I’m on a physical journey of weight loss and health improvement. 10 lbs lost of 35, so 25 more to go. Joint issues and tendinitis to cure. Anxiety to banish. Hormones to balance. 

Day 5 is going well although I woke up with heavy legs. But I actually slept all night last night for the first time in ages. iPad and phone turned off at 9pm and lights out at just gone 10 after a read in bed on my kindle (non backlit Paperwhite). 

This morning I managed to eat breakfast within an hour of getting up. I prepped it all before I showered and that seemed to help. I am loving my meals. Chicken, raw stir fry veggies with mayo for brekky, tuna and ego mayo with spinach and avocado oil and some citrus fruit with coconut milk and cocoa nibs for lunch.  Last night I discovered that the bag of stir fry veggies I had contained sweetcorn kernels. So I picked mine out and left them on the side of my plate - and again this morning before I mixed in the mayo. I felt like a chicken scrabbling around looking for corn ;););) 

Have a good day 5 wherever you are x

Day 4 update and Day 5:

Plane ride was a breeze, asked for sparkling water with no issues. 

Got to the hotel and went on a search for din din, which was a bit challenging. Not because of options, but because not many were open! Found a cute pub and thought the Blackened Salmon would be a good choice, but decided to ask the waitress just in case. She was super helpful and went back to double check with the chef, and we were able to change it so it fit with my diet. In the end, no sauce, and no blackened, just a really good seared salmon with sauteed asparagus and fingerling potatoes with sauteed spinach. Delish! Hey this asking for accommodations isn't so bad!

At my sis's house with three dogs. Got a sweet potato cooking in the oven, and about to chow down with that and some eggs for my brunch. Hotel had zero options for me except coffee. Not super hungry, but can wait until the sweet potato is done cooking :-)

5 hours ago, vpoppy1 said:

Day 4 update and Day 5:

Plane ride was a breeze, asked for sparkling water with no issues. 

Got to the hotel and went on a search for din din, which was a bit challenging. Not because of options, but because not many were open! Found a cute pub and thought the Blackened Salmon would be a good choice, but decided to ask the waitress just in case. She was super helpful and went back to double check with the chef, and we were able to change it so it fit with my diet. In the end, no sauce, and no blackened, just a really good seared salmon with sauteed asparagus and fingerling potatoes with sauteed spinach. Delish! Hey this asking for accommodations isn't so bad!

At my sis's house with three dogs. Got a sweet potato cooking in the oven, and about to chow down with that and some eggs for my brunch. Hotel had zero options for me except coffee. Not super hungry, but can wait until the sweet potato is done cooking :-)

Kudos - always pays to ask rather than to mess up!  Amazing how most restaurants will work with you if you are nice about it rather than being a jerk.  I've heard so many people just degrade the waiter/waitress while complaining about what they can or can't have.  Treat them like a person and they'll usually go out of their way to help you!

Did my first dinner out tonight and thought I did a good job ordering, but learned that I apparently need to add the word "plain" to my vocabulary. I ordered a ribeye and vegetables very careful to specify no butter and the steak came smothered in a red wine sauce that wasn't mentioned on the menu.  I felt horrible sending it back, but the waiter was nice, the plain steak was delicious and I left a generous tip.  Whole30 win!

11 hours ago, sunshine9185 said:

Did my first dinner out tonight and thought I did a good job ordering, but learned that I apparently need to add the word "plain" to my vocabulary. I ordered a ribeye and vegetables very careful to specify no butter and the steak came smothered in a red wine sauce that wasn't mentioned on the menu.  I felt horrible sending it back, but the waiter was nice, the plain steak was delicious and I left a generous tip.  Whole30 win!

I have a severe  intolerance to alcohol so I would have sent back that steak too. No excuse not to mention stuff on menus. Well done x

Day 7, doing ok. Red grapes are still my nemesis, I eat a bag of them like some eat chips. Also I think my portions are a little too big and need to add some veggies. I have asthma and feel better since cutting out the cheese and yogurt. I never went back to milk and sugar after my last whole30 so no problem with that. Dh is doing pretty good. His sugars are much better

Day 8 in UK and I'm up, showered, drinking my black coffee and not wanting to eat breakfast. I did ok all last week but today I just feel so full that I am going to wait until lunch which is only a couple of hours away. Last night's meal was a bit carby with roast potatoes and roasted parsnips with my slow cooked lamb. But they were lovely and compliant so that's all that really matters. There was some green veg on the plate too. 

I am waiting for a 'Whole 30 wow' to happen but I am my usual miserable autumnal self on the grey sky days we've been having after a fantastic summer.  Got a day of sewing planned so a bit of creativity may boost my mood. 

Have a great day my lovelies. 

PS if you are in UK the Waitrose beef, vegetable and chicken stock is compliant and has a long shelf life. I made some chicken and mushroom soup for lunch yesterday and it was bangin' 

Day 8.  It seems like this whole30 is going super fast!  Made some fun items this weekend.  This week I plan on making zucchini lasagna (one of my favorites since it works for about 8 meals).  I'll also slow cook some pork shoulder for easy shredded pork options and I found some compliant turkey breast at Costco this weekend.  It's the little things!

Hope everyone made it through our first weekend intact!

Day 6, 7 and 8 update:

Man, I was so glad to know that my sis has also done Whole30! She knew some places to go and menu items I could order. We went out for dinner on the 5th and I had seafood curry (made with coconut milk) and it was delish! 

Saturday I had a bit of the "kill everything's" I woke up and was kind of resentful that the hotel had all of the dairy, soy, legumes, grains, and nothing for me to eat. But I was doing ok, and was planning on going out for breakfast at a place that I thought would be accommodating. I was "greeted" by a snooty person who told me I could sit at the counter (which was full) but he could not seat one person. ARGH! I eventually settled on going to a grocery store and eating prosciutto and pistachios for breakfast while grumbling something about this darn "process". I perked back up, hung out with the niece and had some coffee. Got back to my sister's place and immediately needed a nap (note, not wanted, but needed). Tossed and turned for a bit and I think I slept but not much. Enough to just calm down and refocus. Went up and my sis basically told me that I needed to eat so I made some sweet potato hash browns and eggs. 

We did a cookout that night and I had bacon wrapped scallops and sparkling water. My sis bought some of those Whole30 Terra chips and I snacked a bit on them, but didn't go crazy. 

Yesterday was a bit nutty (kind of literally lol!) we drove for 4 and a half hours (thank goodness for pistachios!) I GOT A KITTEN! and we (the boyfriend and I) looked at a house! We put an offer on it and are waiting to hear back! eek! I basically had smoked salmon for breakfast, pistachios for lunch and sweet potato fries with my (heavenly) ranch dip for din din. 

Back to normal today! Regular breakfast (thank goodness!) and just ate the last of my loaded cauliflower soup. Probably going to work on that venison bbq tonight. 

NSV: I think my pants are fitting looser....? Pretty sure these jeans were quite a bit tighter before, also my sister said I look great!

Also: dreamt about eating hot pockets and Peanut Butter M&M's. It was weird, but I lived LOL

Day 8, things are good, seems like it has been cloudy and rainy forever. Roasted cauliflower today, made meatballs, a small meatloaf and stuffed peppers. Need to get more exercise and water. Hubby is having some medical issues so less walking and more appointments this week and next week

Had a busy schedule with the kiddos last night so my wife made an amaaazing dinner of Whole30 Compliant Salisbury Steak Meatballs over Carrot Noodles. OMG so good!  This morning back to basics of some eggs with spinach, a Pederson Farms Spicy Whole30 Breakfast Sausage, some grapes and grape tomatoes for Breakfast.  Lunch has been eating out far too much and today will be the same so probably go to Zoe's Kitchen as Chipotle is getting boring (I think  had Chipotle Thursday, Friday and Yesterday for lunch).  I need to just do better meal prep and wake up earlier in the morning to pack my lunch.  But still staying compliant despite many food distractions including someone baking an amazing looking apple pie for the office yesterday.  

We also found some dried carrots at Costco that are compliant this weekend.  They're really good!

week 2! 

I made the holiday menu from the whole30 book for my whole family for our canadian Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.  Everyone raved about it and they think this new crazy diet i'm on is awesome lol.  i'm doing this whole30 to really change my habits and lastnight i had a little relapse.  I stayed compliant! but i did sit in front of the TV eating a bunch of pistachios and dried apple chips.  that habit used to include cheesies and gummy worms so at least i'm being healthier!  so far i am loving how full i feel all the time and i seem to have regular energy throughout the work day instead of highs and lows

Already on week 2, time flies! And good to see that we are still hanging in there. 

Week 1 was a breeze, can't say that I really struggled. Yesterday was hard. I really craved sweets and was thinking about bananas and smoothies because they are technically compliant but I wanted them for the wrong reasons so had to say no to myself. I did have potatoes with dinner. I try to avoid potatoes on the whole30 because they are a trigger food for me when it comes to over eating. But it was fine, I really enjoyed them. 

Also I finally  feel like I have my portions under control. The first week I had to have some snacks because I was really hungry sometimes. It always takes a week or so for me to get my breakfast and lunch big enough to be able to go without snacks. 

Let's do this!

Lovely supper on Day 10 - pan fried cod fillet on a bed of buttery (ghee) leeks. I got up too late to have breakfast before my PT session this morning but I prefer working out empty. I had a good lunch afterwards and didn't need to snack later either. I'm getting there. Found some compliant bacon and had bacon and eggs on a bed of spinach with a chilli oil drizzled over. Yummy. I've booked aquafit for tomorrow morning and I shall try to have something to eat beforehand. 

Hi all! Day 10 already! I've been MIA from the forum - but I have checked in to read your posts from time to time. 

I had oral surgery last Wed so I had a few tough food days but I stayed compliant, though off template. The last few days I've felt better so I'm trying to refocus and be more true to the template and stay away from snacks.

NSV - I have a long history of oral surgeries and then having serious complications afterwards, so my anxiety level was sky high before and after the procedure. I credit eating low inflammatory food to helping me heal and stay calm-ish - and maybe staving off the complications because so far, so good (knocking wood). 

We're 1/3 complete! :) 

Betsie

Hi Folks!  I am doing my 7th Whole30.  Each time I learn something new during the re-introduction phase.  We do the reset quarterly.

I started the whole30 journey a year and a half ago with the first one completed April 2017.  My husband and I do this together.  His doctor suggested it at the same time my dietitian suggested it.  I was suffering from anxiety, headaches, nausea, and extreme fatigue (that my primary doctor called normal for me). 

For me, my symptoms were because of certain foods that I was eating and the whole30 proved to me that I could feel good! And how I was feeling was not normal (which I knew).  I also found that I cannot eat almond flour, cauliflower or coconut milk.

I have lots some weight and inches but that is not why I am doing this.  I want to feel good consistently!  Looking better is a bonus!

I do the slow slide (food freedom forever book triggers) back to feeling yucky between resets.  Eat something I know will cause issues because it is super yummy.  Feel okay.  Repeat, until I hit a wall and end up exhausted headache anxiety.  But I am getting better and making better choices more often.

I love this forum and try to join a group each time for support!

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, bambinamamma said:

i've been feeling great EXCEPT for two days in a row when i ate food i cooked with coconut milk.  perhaps its not working out for my system?

It's possible. If you really want to be able to use coconut milk, try some different brands/different packaging types-- some people find that the guar gum in some brands bothers them, even though it is ok to have on whole30, and others find they react to something in canned coconut milk but are okay with brands that come in tetrapacks. If you're okay going without it, that is also fine, there are plenty of whole30 recipes that don't use it at all.

Here on day 11 I re-discovered a place I love to eat.  Zoe's Kitchen.  When not on Whole30 I loooove their cauliflower rice bowl but the feta and tzatziki are offlimits for Whole30 of course.  Zoe's has now included on their menu the items that are Whole30 compliant so today for a business lunch I had the Mediterranean Chicken, Grilled Vegetables and Potato Salad.  It was amazing and I'm glad to have another option besides Chipotle for fast casual food!

Archived