Starting Oct 1

couchnest

Hi all! Day 12 already and heading into the second weekend of our journey. How's everyone feeling? Ready for the weekend? I'm feeling good - and much recovered after oral surgery last week. The cold, rainy weather that hit us about 10 days ago after a long, hot, dry summer her in SW Colorado has made me feel like cooking warm savory meals, so it's a perfect time for W30. I made the BEST Instant Pot chile this week and it's been amazing for leftover lunches.  

My weekend will be busy with my daughter and grandson visiting, meeting up with old friends visiting the area, checking out wedding venues for my daughter, an open house at a friend's home, etc. but I think I am prepared. I'll make big meals when we're home so we don't have to eat much while we're out and about and we'll probably eat out once on Saturday, but I know the right restaurant that will accommodate me (no Chipotle or Zoe's within hundreds of miles for us :( ).

What's nice is my daughter appreciates when mom feeds her "healthy yummy food" - which is really wonderful, considering I raised her on chicken nuggets and spaghetti-o's because I didn't know better. One of the best parts of changing my lifestyle is seeing it impact others. We're breaking the bad food habits with the next generation - the grandbaby's first food was avocado, not rice cereal! Winning! :) 

Stay strong! Betsie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome @Betsie_n !  

This weekend will be challenging for me simply because I'm going camping with my son's Cub Scout Pack.  But I've bought some Turkey Breast that is compliant and am going to make some hard boiled eggs when I get home to have for breakfast tomorrow.  Then I'll probably whip up some tuna fish with compliant mayo and relish to keep in the Yeti for dinner tomorrow night.  Really not that hard when you have a plan I guess!

Good luck everyone for the weekend!

I decided that traveling was so fun the first time around that I'd try it again and go to a seminar today and tomorrow.  I didn't pack as well as I would have liked and there was nothing at the lunch at the seminar that was compliant, but I made do with the things I had packed in my cooler.  Dinner, on the other hand, was magnificent.  Made a reservation on Yelp and specifically said in the comments that I'd have lots of questions about the menu and some pretty specific requests.  The owner actually came to our table and gave me several options despite lots of their food having both sugar and soy in it.  I settled on some sashimi and a stir fry made with fish sauce and it was all delicious!  Planning ahead to go out and communicating early definitely makes a difference.

So that whole craving dream thing is real, apparently! I had a dream last night that it was my wedding (but also not my wedding, in that weird dream way lol) and I ate a ton of Mexican food and Halloween candy - and then dream me had a panic attack! Ha! Very reassuring to wake up knowing I haven't screwed this up. Last few days have been pretty good with dinner and breakfast, but I'm starting to feel lazy about lunch, so I think I'm going to take this weekend to amp my planned lunches for the week. Otherwise, so far so good! 

3 minutes ago, ebutton25 said:

So that whole craving dream thing is real, apparently! I had a dream last night that it was my wedding (but also not my wedding, in that weird dream way lol) and I ate a ton of Mexican food and Halloween candy - and then dream me had a panic attack! Ha! Very reassuring to wake up knowing I haven't screwed this up. Last few days have been pretty good with dinner and breakfast, but I'm starting to feel lazy about lunch, so I think I'm going to take this weekend to amp my planned lunches for the week. Otherwise, so far so good! 

Me too!  Last night I dreamed I was eating Ben and Jerry's Coffee Toffee ice cream.  So weird.

I started October 1 as well. Feeling good. Won't say this is "easy" but it's doable. Just came from a business trip in Philadelphia stayed at the Marriot next to Reading Terminal. If you don't know it's a dream food location for those who are foodies.  It has so many tempting items (sweets) nut I. Stayed good and thanks to google found whole places and foods to eat. At the work functions I just kept a bottle of water the bartenders refilled and added a few lemons and limes.  So many options to fall off the wagon but I made it home without cheating at all. Also brought plenty of fruit, nuts and boiled eggs with me on my carry on for emergency purposes.  13 days not going to retreat. Inflammation in feet and ankles completely gone and yes I did weigh myself on Day 10 before my trip and yes I had lost weight. Ok ow you aren't supposed to but i needed to be sure. Good luck to everyone.   

On 10/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, pags98 said:

Kudos - always pays to ask rather than to mess up!  Amazing how most restaurants will work with you if you are nice about it rather than being a jerk.  I've heard so many people just degrade the waiter/waitress while complaining about what they can or can't have.  Treat them like a person and they'll usually go out of their way to help you!

On my biz trip a lot of buffets at the hotel but it was amazing how helpful they were if just asking if this is gluten feee, has sugar and even telling them the plan i a, on them being familiar same at restaurants also. Nowadays most establishments are not surprised when people ask those questions since we aren't the first to ask.  And as mentioned BE NICE and they will work with you. I went to an Italian restaurant on my trip had the filet minting asked for no butter, they cooked in olive oil, roasted potatoes also olive oil no butter and grilled potatoes. Came with a great mushroom sauce done in olive oil.  And of course no wine (that I miss). 

Got my haircut yesterday and had to park in front of my fave bakery that my grand daughter used to work at. Didnt even look that way even though I wanted to go in. Tomorrow apple picking and making pie with my 86yo mom and siblings. Should be interesting. I think I am doing well and hubby too. Tried a roasted whole cauliflour. Best ever

Well we're halfway there!  This weekend was challenging with the camping, but not as challenging as I thought.  I prepared well.  Honestly the only thing I craved despite having cinnamon rolls, bread, s'mores in front of me was the hummus.  I consider that a victory over my sugar dragon.  Of course I couldn't have the hummus either. :)  Also went to the movie with my kids and despite them having popcorn I made it through that as well.

Spent a TON of time prepping yesterday but most of it was idle time so not too bad.  I did two pans each of Roasted Beets and Broccoli and a Spaghetti Squash.  Eating the last of my compliant turkey in turkey rollup format today and then I have to get to cooking some meats.  I realized that I have a business trip right as I should be in the midst of re-introduction so that may be my next big challenge.  

The beets I bought were untrimmed so I actually cooked the beet greens which I'd never had before.  They were quite good!

This morning I was greeted with some paleo muffins that a coworker made not knowing about SWYPO.  I told her thanks and that I'd love to try the recipe in a few weeks. :) It had honey and vanilla extract in the recipe so wouldn't have been compliant even if it weren't SWYPO!

We're halfway there! Sounds like we still have several folks who have made it this far! I think that if you make it through two weekends unscathed, you have a really great chance of surviving the whole 30 days. 

Let's talk NSVs - what non scale victories have you noticed so far? https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-nsv.pdf Here's a handy list to use as a guide. 

For me, I've felt calmer and less stressed, my skin feels less dry, my sleep has improved, I feel less inflammation/bloating, I'm craving sugar less (but still fighting boredom cravings) and I feel less hungry overall. 

I can't say that my clothes feel much different yet, but my wedding ring is looser so I know my inflammation is decreasing. I need to increase my water intake, which is always a challenge as we switch to cooler temps, so I'm sipping herbal tea instead. 

Happy halfway point!

Betsie

Happy halfway everyone!! I’m super tired today, but I think it’s because I was traveling over the weekend. I stayed in some cabins at a lake in Minnesota with all the ladies on my mom’s side of the family. I didn’t get the greatest sleep, so I think that has caught up with me today. The tiredness (and colder weather here in WI) is also testing my patience with cravings today (specifically hot chocolate, and mac and cheese). 

In the bright side, I had no issues preparing all of my meals ahead of time for the weekend, and I resisted the temptation of all the non-compliant snacks at girls weekend. I got a lot of questions from my aunts and cousins, so it was nice to feel their support and curiousity about the program. 

Also, there was a marked improvement in my hives last week, even from Monday to Friday. I haven’t had to take any anti-histamines since Wednesday 10/3. My hives are still present throughout the day but are definitely decreasing in frequency, duration, and severity.  They were a tad bit worse over the weekend, but the air is starting to get more dry here in the upper Midwest, and changes in my normal routine could have had an effect too.

Last week my energy started to remain at a constant throughout the day, and any abdominal bloating I experienced before has disappeared. One thing I think I’m struggling with is getting enough fat in my meals because I tend to get hungry again about 2-3 hours after eating. 

How are others doing as of Day 15? And does anyone have any favorite ways to incorporate your healthy fats into your meals?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Sconnie715 said:

And does anyone have any favorite ways to incorporate your healthy fats into your meals?

There's the obvious -- sliced avocado with lime juice and salt, or a handful of olives, or occasionally a handful of nuts -- any of those work well alongside lots of meals.

There are all kinds of sauces that you can make. I'd start with mayo (I like this method if you have an immersion blender:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/). Mayo can be used as is to dip raw or cooked vegetables or meat in, it can be mixed with herbs to make a salad dressing/dip, it can be used to coat chicken or fish before cooking (like this: http://www.janssushibar.com/worlds-moistest-chicken/, although I think sriracha is not compliant so you'd want to sub hot sauce or something else, or leave it out).  Pesto is easy, I just made a batch of that this week -- this page has three or four variations on that:   https://meljoulwan.com/2009/08/05/presto-pesto/.  You can put it over zoodles or spaghetti squash, or on some steak or chicken, or mix it with mayo to make a really great salad dressing/dip. Chimichurri is another easy one:  https://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/02/chimichurri-aka-magic-sauce/ -- use it in much the same way you'd use the pesto. Sunshine Sauce is another good option:  https://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/ -- I like to make these meatballs (except I cook the sweet potatoes first, I didn't like the chunks of them in mine): https://nomnompaleo.com/post/39832097367/whole30-day-6-asian-meatballs and dip them in the sunshine sauce.  Basically, any sauce or dip where the most prominent ingredient is oil or nut butter or mayo is going to add a good amount of fat to your food. It's also a great way to be able to batch cook, and then have different flavors all week -- make a bunch of chicken with really simple seasonings like salt, pepper, and garlic, and just change the sauce you serve over it each day. 

You can also make soups with coconut milk, add a few nuts to a salad, mix a spoonful of almond butter or sunbutter into a stirfry, put a dollop of ghee or some oil on a baked potato or sweet potato. 

33 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

There's the obvious -- sliced avocado with lime juice and salt, or a handful of olives, or occasionally a handful of nuts -- any of those work well alongside lots of meals.

There are all kinds of sauces that you can make. I'd start with mayo (I like this method if you have an immersion blender:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/). Mayo can be used as is to dip raw or cooked vegetables or meat in, it can be mixed with herbs to make a salad dressing/dip, it can be used to coat chicken or fish before cooking (like this: http://www.janssushibar.com/worlds-moistest-chicken/, although I think sriracha is not compliant so you'd want to sub hot sauce or something else, or leave it out).  Pesto is easy, I just made a batch of that this week -- this page has three or four variations on that:   https://meljoulwan.com/2009/08/05/presto-pesto/.  You can put it over zoodles or spaghetti squash, or on some steak or chicken, or mix it with mayo to make a really great salad dressing/dip. Chimichurri is another easy one:  https://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/02/chimichurri-aka-magic-sauce/ -- use it in much the same way you'd use the pesto. Sunshine Sauce is another good option:  https://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/ -- I like to make these meatballs (except I cook the sweet potatoes first, I didn't like the chunks of them in mine): https://nomnompaleo.com/post/39832097367/whole30-day-6-asian-meatballs and dip them in the sunshine sauce.  Basically, any sauce or dip where the most prominent ingredient is oil or nut butter or mayo is going to add a good amount of fat to your food. It's also a great way to be able to batch cook, and then have different flavors all week -- make a bunch of chicken with really simple seasonings like salt, pepper, and garlic, and just change the sauce you serve over it each day. 

You can also make soups with coconut milk, add a few nuts to a salad, mix a spoonful of almond butter or sunbutter into a stirfry, put a dollop of ghee or some oil on a baked potato or sweet potato. 

Thanks for all the great ideas/reminders!! I don’t like olives, and I struggle a bit with avocado...although I’m finding that I like it better seasoned and mashed/mixed in with other ingredients. 

All of the pestos, chimichuri, homemade dressings are all things we do already at home when we cook. Thanks for the great reminders on the sauces, etc...gotta remember to keep it simple! This is my first Whole30, and while I’m fairly confident in the kitchen, it’s been easy to allow myself to over complicate things a bit. 

Over halfway there everyone!  Last night, I dreamed of cheese ravioli with specifically non-compliant pesto sauce.  So clearly I'm still in the food dreaming phase...But we're rapidly headed for potential food boredom, so I thought I'd share my favorite curry recipe!

https://pinchofyum.com/thai-yellow-chicken-curry-with-potatoes

If you make the curry paste with actual lemongrass instead of lemongrass paste (which has whey in it) and skip the brown sugar finisher, this curry is completely compliant and delicious!  It also freezes beautifully.  It's a compliant one-pot meal and you can add other root veggies of your choice instead of just doing potatoes.  Also, the coconut cream base makes it smooth and sweet enough that you could definitely do this for breakfast too!

I'm feeling my pants a little looser (albeit it's possible that it's because they haven't been washed in a hot minute).  But my ring feels a bit looser as well.  I'm sleeping a bit better-which is saying a lot since I'm a notoriously poor sleeper.  And as a result, I feel generally more alert when I am awake.  #NSV.

NSV's -

• my jeans fall down without a belt. 
  • my wedding ring is looser- this is one of my major weight loss aims as it was my grandmother's ring and she wore it for 60+ years. I don't want to have to cut it off.
  • my bad spotty skin is slowly clearing (more spots in my 60's than I have ever had)
  • my sleep is improving and I am waking up less often during the night. I haven't read my kindle at 4am for over a week now .
  • hubby is still doing all the washing up despite an oft mentioned increase in pans etc  ;) 

My wife and I are both really struggling with cravings right now.  Moreso than our first Whole30.  I think the novelty of it has worn off the second time.  There have been many times where we wanted to just say "scrap it" (although a different word from scrap!).  Fortunately we've both hit those points at different times so we've been able to pull each other through.  I never would have thought it would be harder the second time around.  From a food perspective and preparation perspective it's easier, but from a mindset perspective it's definitely harder!

NSV so far are my allergies/stuffiness are already better, sleep is very deep and my energy levels do not drop off at all.

Made a Buffalo Chicken Casserole last night with Spaghetti Squash that will cover us for a few meals the next few days.  I tasted a bit of it last night and it was amazing. Definitely looking forward to that tonight.  Today's lunch will have to be on the road (Chipotle or Zoe's) due to a client meeting.  I was looking forward to having the casserole for lunch but that's a no go with no microwave.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, nanners said:

Noticed people mentioning Chipotle.  Never been there, what is compliant ty

Carnitas, Lettuce, Guacamole for me.  All salsas except the Corn are okay as well for everyone else.  I just don't like spicy. :)

@ShannonM816 thank you for the link.  My wife was in straight break mode last night and I wasn't much behind her but we were able to get through it by going to bed lol.

1 minute ago, pags98 said:

Carnitas, Lettuce, Guacamole for me.  All salsas except the Corn are okay as well for everyone else.  I just don't like spicy. :)

@ShannonM816 thank you for the link.  My wife was in straight break mode last night and I wasn't much behind her but we were able to get through it by going to bed lol.

Thanks for the suggestions

Archived